1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

The Universe & You

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Kazyyk, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

At this point I've grieved for Mattis and allow it's death. I will begin construction plans for a new colony.

Also am I the only one here who has never experienced SP issues or had a character corrupt?

2. Chronicle

Chronicle nobody knows why he's still here

I'm a bit skeptical of this explanation, and think Ky' may not know all the information. She's assuming it's only with one world file, but it's happening to all of them, including newly-created worlds that have no backups to even have corrupted. We're clearly suffering from the same issue as most of the others. (Or, we have disk problems, which is actually uh really bad. Let's leave that as our last-resort explanation.)

Plus, we already did a full universe wipe, minus some imported files that immediately corrupted anyway.

I say we keep an eye on the thread and see where it goes for the next day or two. Really glad we're seeing quicker progress!

(Also, I may be wrong with my skepticism, but I still say it can't hurt to see if they come up with a solution - and try it ourselves - before we do something drastic like change hosts or bring the server down for days or something. Though, since we're basically wiped anyway, a full wipe won't hurt if we go that route.)

3. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

Yes, we gotta wait for some more solid and reliable information. But wait wait wait
    We imported old files into the clean universe wipe? That completely negates the whole point of the wipe :( We need to start from bare-bones scratch!

4. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

This. Do it.

5. Lavinda

Lavinda New Member

WAIT. THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED? REALLY?!

BRB, I'm going to go burn my town to the ground in a fit of rage, that is just so stupid. Oh my god.

6. Eleven

Eleven Mädchen in Uniform

kyrene said something about prepatch generated universes or did i get that wrong?

7. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

Yep, it seems like it was a corrupt file.

8. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

The main point of the wipe was to reduce the Universe size so we could make more backups without running out of space. In that regard, the wipe was a success. Old files were imported to see what would happen.

9. Valor

Valor New Member

I haven't had any issues either.

10. Lavinda

Lavinda New Member

I've actually not had issues with SP, myself!

11. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

I'd be all for a full universe wipe if it fixes it. All the colonies are gone now, anyway, and some of them would probably benefit from a redesign. Avalon, for example, would look much better with more levels and tall buildings (I've always seen it as a place for partying and funtimes rather than a criminals paradise, as it seems to be these days) and Mattis would benefit from having the residential zones closer to the spawn (them being so far away is largely to do with what I built in the west sector, I think.)

12. Rehtael

Rehtael New Member

Quatraz would benefit from being put back where it was. >_>

13. Silver

Silver Ain't no thing like me 'cept me.

I'd like everyone to go back to that thread and keep reading. Kyren was incredibly mistaken there. Even after the fix was administered to ArchGaden's server, his worlds kept vanishing and creating the same error codes that the Grand Mugwump and Kazzyk reported. Since -I- am the primary poster in that thread, our issue is the one at hand. Our issue is also not isolated to just us -- it has been recreated in private experiments, in ArchGaden's public experiment working with kyren's fix, and on our own server. The problem is still with Chucklefish and now that the bug they thought was responsible wasn't, it's their responsibility to fix it.

Wiping, restarting, anything we do now won't solve anything because it's not just our problem -- it's how Starbound handles the world files internally. Somehow it is corrupting its own worlds--our worlds--and nothing will change even if we throw everything out the door now.

14. Rehtael

Rehtael New Member

so then can we bring back the *Partially* Broken world since some of us had working colonies?

15. Chronicle

Chronicle nobody knows why he's still here

It was inherently broken. Or at least, as broken as it is now. The exact same bug existed in the same way, so your colony's as likely to get wiped now as it was back then. ><

So, I guess we just hang tight for now. Keep to campsites, folks!

16. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

Listen to the man, people.

17. Doc

Doc Video Game Extraordinaire

I'm thinking I'll go on a small hiatus (at least, with my in-game activity) until this glitch is fixed. I'll still hang around the forums considering my role with Honeydew Prior.

18. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

I am also doing this. With my role in the Traptooth arc over and Starbound too unstable to allow colonies to be restored or built, I think I'm gonna have to call it quits for a while.

19. Venom

Venom New Member

20. Silver

Silver Ain't no thing like me 'cept me.

I've been running Unstable on my computer for a few hours now for tests. (Trying to see if I can corrupt a world on my server.) It counts as Enraged v6, so anyone who has it on won't be able to join the server until they revert back to v5.