1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

The Toxicity Issue

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Rezima, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

Exactly. The "Gun that's held to their heads" would be there for a good reason, such as the player not being respectful anyways.
    I've never seen an illegitimate reason for a ban on this server. I may be wrong, but I think that's because there hasn't been one. I've had a friend or two be banned, but I'll be the first to admit that it was for a good reason.

2. Kumakin

Kumakin New Member

What if I get really smashed and say something inappropriate and post it on the forums? I know this sounds funny but I find when I get drunk I play SB.

3. TAP123

TAP123 New Member

The idea of the admins being god should not be included here. I think people forget that this is just a roleplay server. People conduct their actions like it's their space, it's their place, it's the end of the world if they don't get what they want, and that any critical comment could be a threat to how they interact on this server.

I think you people should take a step back and look at some very real facts.
    1. This is a roleplay server.
    2. Kaz owns the server and helps keep it up and running through his own money and donations.
    3. The roleplay server could crash and burn at any time. Nothing is permanent.

Nothing is permanent. People fight and argue like this is some pivotal issue. People get hurt over issues that are really light, not to mention you have other people being really harsh and critical of people who take this server seriously. I've made friends on this server. I've lost them. Each instance has it's own reasons, but when it comes down to it, all this toxicity and hurt feelings happen because of the community.

I've been in other roleplaying situations where the community crashes and burns. Horribly. Everything goes alright, people get stuck in the mindset of having fun and immersing themselves in the roleplay, and then tear it down with that same immersion. I've been there so many times myself, but now that I'm kind of giving up on this place it's easy to see it's not a permanent solution.

People need to understand that. People need to understand that this is a place we can go and enjoy our time with each other. If that really happened then the toxicity on this server would be essentially nonexistant.

The admin isn't god, or isn't a real administrator. The moderators aren't really moderators, just volunteers. The roleplayers aren't really their characters, but people spending time out of their day to enjoy the game. Can't we get along without pointing fingers at people or overreacting about rules or laws? This is a first step in bringing about more civility to the server, and if it's put in question, ask yourselves, why can't we be civil already ?

4. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I can't say for sure, but I'm willing to bet that nothing will happen on a first offense. Probably just a warning.
    Just be careful? I mean, it's you getting drunk.

5. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I bet you're fun at parties.

6. TAP123

TAP123 New Member

How do you know?

7. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE Notorious B.A.D.

The problem here comes when you realize just how objective the terms unnecessary and hostile are, along with various other buzzwords that people in the past have used to refer to some personal boogeyman that they have created in order to indirectly refer to players that they personally do not like, such as toxic, shitposter, and who could forget the classic cyberbully. It's extremely easy to just say "just be good" and leave it at that, but the problem comes when the staff are the ones who are in charge of determining if someone is 'being good' or not, and in the past actions they've taken have shown that they might not be up to the task, especially when that task is preceded by them sending out a notice about the new rule that basically amounts to Liam Neeson dragging me to his basement and threatening to hammer nails into my face if I don't stop being a nasty troll.

Maybe in a perfect world we could rely on the mods being unbiased, but they're not.

PS: If this is meant to apply only to a small subset of players, why not just warn those players about their toxicity?

PPS: Also the 'toxic players who shall not be named thing' is getting kind of old, you can namedrop me if you want. (Since, going by the current definition of 'toxic,' the only people you could possibly be referring to with this whole thing is myself and probably 2-3 other people.)

8. Kumakin

Kumakin New Member

Actually I haven't drank in a while since I left my bar job lol. Guess it isn't really a problem now. Anyways sorry for the off topicness.

9. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

The only illegitimate ban I've seen in my time here was my beloved Hong Stong.

Bring hong stong back I need him in my life.
    <Heavy russian ascent> . . .

10. November

November Previously Sermane
    Staff Member

The work of an admin is thankless, so thank you for not being afraid to do it. This is as much of a warning as it is a "rule". I am not the team, but my guess as to the reason behind the post is to send the message that "Oi dickheads, we're reading you your rights. Shape up."

The next person they talk with because they were being "toxic" (takes a drink) can't try to rule-lawyer their way into being a nuisance.

Those involved in the problem were unable to correct themselves, so the kid gloves are coming out. Whip on, moderators. Whip it good.

11. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

Whooooooboy, was just a joke.

There aren't nearly enough dedicated troublemakers to actually see a total wipeout. Maybe 10 at the MOST. Unless I've missed a bunch.

Admins know they aren't gods, but they are stepping up to the plate big time, and I love it.
    The sharks got their teeth going on.

12. TAP123

TAP123 New Member

Thanks, really professional and absolutely not flaming in it's own right. Should I have contacted the moderators about this behavior?

13. invictus69

invictus69 New Member

People should never be passive aggressive either. All the mods are asking for is a little civility. Is that so much to ask?

14. Rezima

Rezima New Member

I suppose we can take that into consideration..but being drunk is not really a solid defense for anything, just sayin'

15. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I don't. It's called having a little faith.
    That wasn't passive aggressive, I'm just typing out words.

16. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

DO NOT SPEAK OF HONG STONG

17. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I can come up with a black and white definition for those words for you if you feel like a world without assessment is ideal.

18. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

I'm gonna sound like a jerk here, but if you believe that you and the mods are both thinking of yourself as 'toxic', the definitions really aren't all that subjective.

19. invictus69

invictus69 New Member

Unnecessary and Hostile are buzzwords now? Come on Bradstur you're better then that.
    Also buzzword is a buzzword too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.