1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

The issues of Antares

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sen, Aug 5, 2014.

1. November

November Previously Sermane
    Staff Member

This thread makes me sad.

I've been involved with factions, I've played with nearly the entirety of the "faction cliques" (I never got to do things with the Fleet, which makes me even sadder. I was too lazy to bring Itotia back properly).

I like playing characters without weapons (even as far as personal convictions to not have a weapon), and I love engaging in this server's IC politics.

Yes, I've had "bad times" where situations got messy (My favourite being someone saying "I can't be arsed to rp out being arrested, so I'm just shooting my way out, kay?"), but no matter what you do the server will never be perfect.

To offer my opinion on the original points:

1) I'll agree, I don't feel the presence of moderation at all. Perhaps that is intentional, but the OOC has definitely gotten more out of hand compared to back in February when I started. However, the only issue I have with OOC is that it takes up space in the tiny ass chat window. I've actually set up my chat colours in such a way that I passively tune out of Universe chat.

Sometimes, OOC is actually a good thing in my opinion. Again, so long as it is not making it impossible for other people to read their own posts, OOC jokes and other things can be a good bit of fun. This is, however, a slipper slope when it comes to moderation. Encouraging OOC like I just did will let it get out of hand. The leash needs to be tightened, and the whip should be cracked every now and again.

2) I haven't had issues with any of the factions...ever. I can't say much more than that, besides that if there really is that much hatred then I must be lucky to have missed out on it.

3) This is the other reason why I am disinclined to play a character that would get involved in armed conflict. I've done the opposed d20 thing, it was awful and slow. I've done the RP'd conflicts that just lead to logic arguments that take longer than the scene itself. My advice would be to seek a neutral party to moderate the combat with the power of rule zero. I can see where using the ingame pvp could be a thing, but something tells me it will only bring a new problem. People will plug pull right before they die, then come back the next day as if the combat never happened. It turns a legitimate excuse (we don't all have the most stable internet, I suffer from drop kicks to my router frequently) into powergaming. Not to mention how much "fun" it will be to discuss exactly what tier of armour people are wearing under their clothes. I don't know about others, but I just slap t10 under my cosmetics so I don't freeze/get accidentally rocketed to death all the time.

2. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

Actually, this was/is one of the main problems, as far as I can tell, with the US colonies. o one is allowed in with weapons or power armor, therefore they cant cause trouble, at elast not lethal trouble, and so its, theoretically, a very safe colony. But no one likes a "safe" colony, as there isnt any interesting RP. Which I can understand, and im working on getting the scanners removed. its been removed for future US colonies

#42 Cole Ombre, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
  3. Corvus

Corvus New Member

I'd like to remind everyone of this specific server's rule zero.

heh