1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

The Floran Predicament

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by Toadkid1234, Sep 2, 2014.

?

Should I bring back the HKC?

1. No, thanks!

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Yeah, and keep its old ways of love and kindness for anyone except evil people!

9 vote(s)
    18.4%
  3. Yeah, and make it Anti-Uncivilized Floran!

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  4. Yeah, and make it Anti-All-Floran!

20 vote(s)
    40.8%
  5. I would like to participate in this.

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. I would NOT like to participate in this, just watch.

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. Jim Harrison

25 vote(s)
    51.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kumakin

Kumakin New Member

Well, after the Yggdrasil tree and Drosera Tree were eliminated it only leaves Macabre(Or however the fuck its spelled) and Ailanthius Tribe. Both of which are pretty tame compared to every other Floran tribe ever made on this server. You'd be picking off Floran Drifters more then getting rid of them as a species because no one is dumb enough to drop down onto a planet full of Aliens who breed like rabbits and don't really think twice about eating something...

There isn't a huge opposition is what I guess I'm trying to say. Before you had a lot to RP against. Now all you'd have to do is kill Sharptooth, or Nightshade probably.

Srry bby hope dis hlps.
    Also this.

2. Switchback

Switchback Iss likess fissh eyess~!

HNNNNGG

3. Kumakin

Kumakin New Member

Hs hs hsssss.

4. GuardianPotato

GuardianPotato New Member

Killing either of them is really easier said than done. Both are competent fighters, and have many friends that are more than willing to protect them. (A few of them with their lives, if necessary). Anyways, not gonna turn this into a "Who has the bigger stick" contest. I like the general idea still.

5. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

Orbital bombardment tends to work pretty well MUHAHAHAHA OP AS HELL BUT TOOOOOOO BAAAAAAAAD JK

Sure the number of Floran tribes is down but there are still hella lot of Florans out and about. Plus in the face of opposition theyd likely band together and stuff. Again I really dont know how this is gonna work, the 'picking off Floran drifters' sounds kinda boring and dumb, I agree.

I would hope the tribes would be difficult to beat. Otherwise this would be no fun. I'm sure they have friends in high places that would probably be more than formidable combatants which makes the scenario all the more interesting.

6. Sen

Sen Guest

Not!Hylotl are the perfect counter to Not!Florans.

7. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

There's absolutely nothing wrong with militant, warrior-race Hylotl Sen. Who needs all that "peace and culture" crap anyway?

But for serious. Something like this is difficult to do in part because there are a lot of OOC emotions that are gonna run high. And just like any conflict issue, there's any number of barriers to being an antagonist. I wish you luck.

8. Biscuit

Biscuit New Member

I volunteer Quickclaw for testing, if you guys want.

9. JimHarrison

JimHarrison Grouchy Player

not comfortable with the idea that any other choice is getting as many votes as Jim Harrison

10. Sen

Sen Guest

Considering the only new lore released on Hylotl includes:
    "The Hylotl have simply built up their defenses in a different manner to the Florans, using bureaucracy to block them out instead of weapons (usually - a warship blockade still sends a powerful message)."

From what I recall with Fleet interactions with the HKC, the HKC is some guy's personal army who threaten invasion and bombardment to people who offend them. The complete anathema to everything we know about the Hylotl.

11. GuardianPotato

GuardianPotato New Member

You also must remember this is the -frontier-. They kinda have to be more violently inclined to live on their own. Other than that, fact of we can't really change how people play their characters. So *Shrug*

Edit: Not saying we can't help the new players understand the personalities of each race.

#31 GuardianPotato, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2014
  12. DeltaV

DeltaV New Member

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlanetOfHats

Lazy story tropes don't justify every single member of an entire species having the same personality. If my friends and family were killed and my planet destroyed by someone, I could be the most pacifistic guy in the world and I'd still probably be pretty angry.

Not to mention that your source contradicts you in mentioning the warship blockade. A warship means they have war and that they have a navy, and the people in a navy generally are combat-trained and not pacifists.

As for the HKC, I have no idea because it never really got anywhere. Obviously if that was the case some adjustment is necessary.

13. Sen

Sen Guest

Yes, there are exceptions to the norm.

Don't make an entire faction claiming to be an official representative (and oh boy, that's another can of worms) anathema to the general theme of the Hylotl. That's not an exception. That's a faction of exceptions.

Hence the term, Not!Hylotl.

14. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

It's also worth noting that many of the species in Starbound in particular have unifying themes that would globalize them either over time or by nature. Humans are odd in that they are so individualistic. Avians have their religion; Apex have their pursuit of scientific evolution (and forcible obligation to pursue that evolution); Florans haven't evolved culturally to the point in which they would diverge as widely as Humanity did except in minor, tribe-by-tribe ways; and the Glitch have their programming and thus the cultural, societal and technological restrictions that come from their escape from the Hivemind.

The general population of the Hylotl is bound by a belief in Pantheism (in which all natural things are considered divine/as-close-to-divine as is worth investing in). (Source: http://starbounder.org/Species_and_their_Gods) While this means as a society they would be generally peaceful, aesthetic and culturally driven to pursue elegance and aesthetics over scientific advancement and warfare, you are right in that here would be outliers.

However. When the outliers attempt to reform the culture and claim to represent the culture, that's when it becomes an issue. There are very VERY few Hylotl that are actually dedicated to being peaceful and focusing on elegance. Every Hylotl is a ninja, a samurai, or an oddly Apex-like scientists.

On a side note: it is possible to study the art of war while being pacifistic. It's the principle behind a lot of martial arts. The use of violence to undo violence by making it something that advances the body in a spiritual sense. Martial training is good for things other than killing people. Discipline of mind and body being the highest on the list for such things.

15. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

Frontier's are also a common place to see outcasts and pariahs.... >_>

16. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

Fun fact: Most frontiers are settled by normal people. Who knew?! The settlers from Europe to the Americas? Mostly normal people. The people moving west during the Manifest Destiny era of the United States? Mostly normal people. Etc. etc. Normal people make up the population and thus settle the frontiers. They are the backbone of any society and are thus present in any society.

There was no Wild West.

17. DeltaV

DeltaV New Member

Except that nobody wants to play the NPCs in someone else's adventure story.

18. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

It doesn't matter wether we are in a frontier or a incredibly civilized system with any kind of government, everyone PC wouldn't change. Through LM hitory when it was a thing, there were only a handful (five at tops, I think) of PC with jobs at colony, and maybe some more as residents. The huge traffic, mostly visitors. And it was a colony more oriented for work rather than tourism (fire rains sure attracts that).

19. Solour

Solour a dad

KILL EM' ALL, YEAAAH OFWG

20. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

Attached Files: