1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

The Dynamic of 'Slaves'

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BIGtheRED, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Chronicle

Chronicle nobody knows why he's still here

I actually quite enjoyed that little public display by the RA, myself.

Now that the server's in the middle of a reset and I'm not busy rolling my eyes at this public auction, lemme clarify my own feelings on this, at least.

I honestly don't mind the in-character slavery. As I said earlier in this thread, even, I think it's a really interesting dynamic that has a lot of potential for good RP. In fact, it's ALREADY resulted in some really awesome RP that I've seen, both firsthand and secondhand. Not only with direct slavers and slavery and what-not, but also with intergalactic politics. It's gettin' heated, and it's gettin' serious, and I love it.

Perhaps that's why the constant public slave auctions over Galaxy chat bother me. This is some pretty serious stuff. I agree with Aleiksei as well, in that, no, obviously this sort of thing isn't (and shouldn't!) be confined to the Astral Empire and nothing else ever. That's not realistic, and that's not really the best use of the concept and the system. Obviously it's going to spill out into other systems and other settlements, and even into public trade channels on occasion.

However, there's a difference between spilling into things and dominating them. I do not have a problem with things like, say, the slavers' raid on Liberty Mills a couple days back. From what I hear, that was really well-played, and everyone was a good sport, and it was a really fun and interesting conflict event for everyone involved. See, that's a good way to bring this out into the open. I do, however, think it's kind of silly to have casual slave auctions over public trade channels with everyone and their mother bidding tens of thousands of pixels on slaves literally all the time. That's... Kind of weird. I would expect that in Luminaria. I would not expect that in the entire galaxy, especially when a majority of the colonies and local powers are publicly opposed to slavers.

I just kind of feel like it's lacking in both tact and realism in handling it that way. Trivializing it. Come on, guys, things can be more interesting than that. Be clandestine! Get some back-room underground slave auctions going, maybe! But don't just throw up slaves on galactic trade channels all day erry day with an attitude as nonchalant as some kid trying to sell his bike. Not only is it kind of silly, but, realistically, it'd probably be pretty bloody dangerous.

The trouble is I don't really know what to suggest, here. This isn't really something that can be regulated/enforced. It's like the economy. (Which is, ironically, tying into this issue. I saw people bid all the way up to five million pixels for, quite literally, a regular old no-name slave.) But I will say that it's definitely something that I and others roll their eyes at when it's treated with an a passive disdain that, honestly, doesn't do justice to a pretty serious and interesting dynamic.

(Finally, as for the universe of Lawful Good Billy Badasses casually joking about slaves they're purchasing... Again, not really something that can be helped. It's tragic. I'm encouraged that I'm starting to see more people embrace the idea of character development, though, so this is starting to turn around a little.)

EDIT: So I logged back in 20 minutes after the server came back, and first message I see...

[​IMG]

guys it is literally a constant state of slave auction i am in limbo send help

#81 Chronicle, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
  2. Aleiksei

Aleiksei New Member

And I think all of this is helping! By creating a complicated universe with lots of different powers, actors and different morals; the new players arrive in a very active universe, full of powers greater than them that they can't fully understand by just looking at them once. If your character wants to align themselves with something, they need time to grasp who represents what. It's a change of pace from, "there is the USCM, a tribe, a some cities."

One of my character, that I honestly thought was going to be good, ended up in the Crimson Corsairs because it was his only way to leave Tetanus and Taranis. The more complicated the universe get, the less dull people's personal storylines are bound to be.

3. Corvus

Corvus New Member

This is partially my fault so I'm just gonna make like Corvus and crawl into a hole until this is all over.

4. Aleiksei

Aleiksei New Member

Molren arc was good in my opinion, it was unique (As in, the only arc like this back then). I felt like it was done appropriatly, the Empire told Molren to calm the hell down, he didn't and got shot in the back. He was scummy, died in a scummy way, killed by another scum. You chose for Molren to be a low, directionless, immoral criminal, he lived and died like one. Slavery -will- inevitably bring people like Molren, literal scumbags. That's expected and good. At least it was an organized arc.

5. Corvus

Corvus New Member

Thanks, I was feeling a bit on the spot there. :)

6. Tacoburger

Tacoburger professional taco burger

Arizona master slaver

7. Silver

Silver Ain't no thing like me 'cept me.

It's 4AM, so I'll let Chronicle represent my thoughts. He pretty much has already.

@Corvus: Sorry, I didn't mean to put you on the spot with that example. I don't feel as though it is the fault of any individual; rather, it the amalgamation of it all happening at once and very publicly when it previously didn't.

If anything, my words are a plea for two things: sensitivity and diversity. The wisdom to treat this subject with the careful thought and gravitas it deserves, and the creativity to, as a server, do more than just slavery-related storylines.

When I am more lucid, I'd actually like to also discuss the economic ramifications of having a slave-labour competitor on the market. There are some points of interest to consider there, especially for agriculture and manufacturing that, since we have an IC and OOC communicating body of colonies actively discussing issues like trade, could lead to some interesting places.

8. Corvus

Corvus New Member

Naw, it's fine. I'm generally prone to thinking people are upset with me when they're really not, so that's probably what happened there. :3

9. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

I see a face off between TF and AE when it comes to cheap manufacturing <_<

10. Weavle105

Weavle105 Back in Black.

And that's why he got killed by two teens. In all seriousness, I very much enjoyed having Isabelle and Noah take a stand against him and actually hunt him down and kill him. I feel as though I actually accomplished something, and perhaps helped a bit with one of the problems people are talking about here. My character took a stand against slavery, which she sees as horrible, and I plan to have her continue acting against slavery. For example there's an auction going on right now, which she's trying to stop, and hopefully save the slaves.

11. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Awhile back I made it very clear this was an issue that required a serious air to handle it. I really tire of all of these fun, gritty ideas being flung around carefree and wild in the public. It ruins it for everyone. Stop. Keep your auctions off the radio.

12. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

...So when is someone gonna buy some slaves, start some gladiator matches, and use the profits to buy more slaves? Or do I have to do EVERYTHING?!

13. Aleiksei

Aleiksei New Member

I'd be really cool if we had -just- one last colony that's completely lawless and crazy that does that

14. Corvus

Corvus New Member

Tetanus now is your chance to be cool

15. Aleiksei

Aleiksei New Member

I meant to write "It'd" be really cool but I'm gonna leave it like that cause it's frickin hilarious

Tetanus fields isn't okay with slavery and slave traders though :-(

16. Corvus

Corvus New Member

Useless.

17. Silver

Silver Ain't no thing like me 'cept me.

Alas, that used to be Tallest Tree with its awesome arena.

18. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

Doesn't have to be a colony, some entrepreneurial slaver could just host it on their ship/space station ;)

19. Weavle105

Weavle105 Back in Black.

CANICANICANI?!?!?!

20. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

Sure go for it, it's not like I posted it because I wanted to see it done or anything....might give substance to the whole slavery thing...you know, a real economy...might set a precedent for RP combat....mumble grumble.