1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

"The Big One" - CoC and Moderation Overhaul Details

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Chronicle, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Ariexe

Ariexe New Member

Same thing happened when I was banned, not only should plays give warning, but mods aswell. Lets hope that happens ^.^

2. TAP123

TAP123 New Member

I wonder what these new moderators think. So far it's been a process of trial and error, and they're taking up a responsibility for a server that's turned away good roleplayers in the past. Going to play devil's advocate here for this point specifically. Joke and act like things are changing for the better, make it seem like everything's OK now that new staff are in place, but really when things get serious, can we be sure that, pardon my french, bullshit will not occur as much as it has?

3. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

By all means, expand upon this.

4. TAP123

TAP123 New Member

Interesting response... sarcastically speaking. Would like to see what the new moderators have in say with this, since they've been a part of this community... but I've talked to a few people, people who were interested in joining this community. There could be more details included, more reading in between the lines or gauging whether or not they were good roleplayers or whether or not they made contributions to the community. But hearing their side and having a perspective of this community's side, has been, let's just say, adding some concern I've had with this community and how things are run.

RL has come up while I'm typing this post, but here:
    http://starbound-servers.net/server/145/comments/

Look at Tangadion's post and the commentary. I think that'd be enough to suffice.

5. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

I've already read that, I was interested on your take on the matter since you brought it up. The reputation we have is one we all earned here, good or bad. We've been working on improving it for the people who want to move forward with the community. There is plenty to be learned by the past, but very little to be gained by dwelling on it.

6. TaintedMythos

TaintedMythos New Member

Shadow powers? Do go on.

7. TaintedMythos

TaintedMythos New Member

Mind if I swipe that gif? It has so much yes.

8. The Grand Mugwump

Novakids commonly go through rises and falls in their technological ability, and can go for centuries without space travel before they rediscover it again. We could handle it several ways or perhaps all of them at once with different player backstories.
    1. They come to the Antares Frontier (note: it does not constitute the entire galalxy) from somewhere else.
    2. They are from a Novakid colony which has recently rediscovered space travel.
    3. Lots of other reasons I'm sure people will think up similar to how Florans get into space.
    As for Novakids in combat (which I'm assuming people are concerned with in balance), they're semi-fragile sacks of plasma held together with a (magnetic?) field generated by the brand in their face. No clue how their internals work, but I imagine they don't eat and drink "solid" stuff, but instead focus on their "moonshine" made from various fuels and minerals to keep their whatever is going on inside them going.

9. Terallis

Terallis Dark Matter of Fact

As much as I hated the entire story involving the Yuuzhan Vong in the Star Wars Expanded Universe, I personally feel that it could likely become something similar to that. Novakids being in this sector, but so few that they go rather unnoticed or similar. But once the race gets added in, it can be said that more of their species arrives. The ones who were already around were more just smaller groups that migrated to the sector a long while back, and the ones arriving could just be more based around the need for a home, sudden feeling to explore, hearing good things about the sector, etc. Mind you, for the reference to the Yuuzhan Vong, it obviously wouldn't be that the novakids arrive en masse to invade. LOL.

10. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Frontier

11. Chronicle

Chronicle nobody knows why he's still here

Pffff'.

I was tired, so sue me. You see how long the original post was? D:

12. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE Notorious B.A.D.

who cares nerd lol

13. TaintedMythos

TaintedMythos New Member

I'm sure that the lore that will (hopefully) be attached with the Novakids' release will clear up that since the devs are going to have to deal with their sudden introduction. I personally think that your first idea is most probable based on the lore that they already have.

14. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

10/10 shortest correction ever

15. TAP123

TAP123 New Member

Apologies on bringing up the past. Guess I've been burned in the past by a lot of things and have been voicing concerns, whether they're viable or not, in the wrong light. Had issues with feeling left out, especially with the toxicity in the past, and I'm looking for something different. Despite the happy feelings that are conveyed with the release of new plans, I haven't been feeling, I don't know, reassured? I have friends who are moderators now and they're making headway, but things are different, could say there's some insecurity here and I'm worried they might let their positions get to their heads, heheheh (This is only an insecurity, there haven't been any signs of this happening).

So I thought I'd play hardball. Yes, it's bad to dwell on the past, but you can't hide skeletons in the closet with people who have already seen them. Hope I'm not going to be made more of an outcast for doing so, would like to actually for once do more for a change for this server and see it transform from a toxic cesspool to a nice place to hang out thanks to new moderation.

16. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Again, like Aeryn said, we're not obstacles to overcome.
    We're here to help.

17. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

To answer Tap123's question from my perspective, I think that when "Shit hits the fan," judging by the new mods' attitude, they will be more than willing to step in and help out how they can. It's a nice improvement just to add a few people to the mod team. The old team had some great guys on it, but it was the same two or three people handling everything, and that gets difficult for them, with other mods falling in and out of activity.

Anyways, I think this is definitely a step in the right direction.

18. Fenris Fenrir

Fenris Fenrir New Member

I for one welcome our new Admin Rule Overlords. In all seriousness though, I'm proud of the admins and staff of the community as of late. This is all looking very good, and I look forward to seeing how it works out. That being said.... if for some reason the staff isn't as responsive as you're saying you'll be, it will be that much more disappointing. I'm not saying I expect it, I just really want this to succeed.

19. TAP123

TAP123 New Member

I wouldn't be overly hopeful. Not because they won't do a bad job, but if people hype things up and expect the server to do an extreme transformation those expectations would probably be an added, unnecessary stress load for the moderators to worry about. I've had my troubles with moderators in the past, but I can accept that they are human. If anything, the rules they have changed so far and the plans they have for the future is a nice change of pace. As far as responsiveness, it'd be good to remember that people have school, work, and other responsibilities, and that they are doing this server a favor by volunteering a part of their time to help.

20. Fenris Fenrir

Fenris Fenrir New Member

Trust me, I've been an admin before, so I know exactly what you're talking about here. I just hope these new rules help out as much as I think they will.