1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Swords, guns, and materials

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Loveless, Aug 7, 2014.

1. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

that feeling when your faction's weapon of choice is completely unfeasable

if spaceship ftl drives can be fueled by coal, I can make futuristic energy weapons, physics be damned!

2. Sen

Sen Guest

Yes, just handwave everything away. This is the path that leads to the sword being mightier than the gun, magic healing sap and FTL sonar.

Having plasma weapons being a misnomer for a liquid throwing incendiary device makes some more sense; flamethrowers are terrifying weapons that suffer from short range, heavy weight and collateral damage. A superheated sticky goo is pretty much napalm anyway.

3. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

It also easily coincides with the most commonly roleplayed injury that results from plasma weapons, i.e. "this shit is hot". There has been IC talk in weapon selling threads on how Starbound's plasma weaponry works, and most of it has lead to something along the lines of "a disposable battery pack superheats "plasma" and fires it towards a target". Considering the period of time all this takes place, it isn't hard to imagine technology having advanced sufficiently enough to develop a "capsule" or other such containment field holding a napalm-like substance that could be accelerated to speeds rivaling standard kinetic weaponry.

Having seen this weaponry in action and its results, people could have started calling it "plasma", despite the substance not actually being the fourth state of matter.

4. Roflmaozors

Roflmaozors New Member

[​IMG]
    Melee weapons vs Guns in Starbound

5. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

Im just gonna say I prefer kinetic guns vs plasma anyway, because they do more damage. Shoot someone with plasma, it'll cauterize the wound. Hit em wiht a small shard or shardS of metal, and they aint gettin up. Well, realistically they wouldnt, but, pfft, healing, amirite?

6. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

That depends on where you hit them, mostly. But at the same time, most people shrug off any hit that doesn't pretty much kill them outright. 'Adrenaline is one hell of a drug' when you have seven bullets lodged in you and a knife in your spine.

7. Loveless

Loveless New Member

Due to adrenaline, people have been oblivious to losing entire arms and being pounded with worse. It only lasts a few minutes, but I'm sorry to say that this isn't just a handwave excuse, it has a firm basis in reality.

8. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

It's also only for humans until we know more about the anatomy of the other races.

9. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

There comes a time when you're not going to simply push through, and most people ignore that time, is what I'm saying.

10. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

Realistically, one or two bullets in the torso will take someone down. Adrenaline isnt as much an excuse as could be thought, as it only really occurs, to my knowledge, during intense firefights. Like, really intense. You might not -feel- the bullets impacitng you or the slices, but they will still have the effect. Get shot in the elbow, even if you dont feel it, you suddenyl wont be able to use that arm. Shot in the chest, you wont be abl e to breath as well/at all. Etc. Adrenaline can be good if used right, but OP if abused.

11. Loveless

Loveless New Member

This is true, and I can see how it can be overplayed. Adrenaline isn't going to fire up if you've been taken by surprise, and it takes a little bit to get it going. Of course, there are people who can control their adrenaline levels, but they're mainly monks that achieve it over a long period of meditation.

As far as people feeling themselves get shot, it depends on where you're shot with what kind of round. A 9mm in the shoulder won't be as bad as a hollow-point .45 to the kneecap. When it comes to getting shot there are a lot of variables that come into play, and it's difficult to work through that.

..but that's a different topic