1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Starbound Fan Comic Applications

Discussion in 'Art & Graphics' started by ZChimera, Dec 17, 2016.

1. ZChimera

ZChimera New Member

Hey there folks! This is your resident Chimera speaking. I'm drafting a fan comic based on the plot of the game, and I need characters to help populate the pages! That's right, I'm talking about cameos. If you want your character(or characters, there is no limit to the number of submissions) to show up on a page or in a small scene, send me some reference images and a short description of their personality so I can place them accurately.

I'm also going to be building a motley cast and crew to support my protagonist, so if you think you have a character or two who might be able to fill important ship and/or story roles, you can submit them here too. They will need more info than simple cameo, of course. I'll want to know their history, and how they might wind up where they are when encountered. Getting a true role isn't a guarantee, but if I like them your character might wind up doing something major, or at least important. Even if they don't get a role, they'll still get a cameo. Just be sure to let me know what roles you're interested in when applying.

As to positions available, there are of course the ship crew jobs. Those are pretty straight-forward, and while they might not participate actively in the adventure, their place on the ship guarantees a moderate amount of 'screen time', so to speak. Other positions are story based, and thus not set in stone. The character could be anything from a friendly merchant that gets a lot of loot sold to them, or an adventurer who helps to confront a boss, or they could be in an antagonistic role like a trouble making hacker or even a member of the Occasus cult. I'm encouraging creativity when you suggest story-roles.

One more thing I'd like to mention. The first chapter does have a few character roles that *are* set in stone - at least as far as race and dialogue. I am of course talking about the Protectorate NPCs encountered on Earth before things get crazy and tentacle-y. If you're okay with your cameo potentially dying early in the story(it's never stated outright that the player is the only one who makes it out) then make sure to put a statement of consent in your application.

In order of appearance I'll need...
    1 Human Underclassman
    1 Apex Underclassman
    1 Hylotl Info Clerk
    1 Avian Underclassman
    1 Glitch Groundskeeper
    1 Hylotl Instructor
    1 Apex Instructor
    1 Glitch Graduate
    1 Floran Graduate
    1 Hylotl Graduate
    1 Human Graduate

2. yoyohaloreach

yoyohaloreach New Member

I am interested in this, but before anything. Is this a story made in the Antares lore? Or regular starbound lore?

Edit: Why I ask this is because there is no protectorate in the Antares lore.

3. ZChimera

ZChimera New Member

It is mostly based on regular lore. I do have some of my own things in there for details, but that's it.

4. Lyra

Lyra Ayy

This sounds really cool. Plus, I ought to write down Lyra's lore, before I forget something important, so here we go!
    I feel like I've written something like this down at some point, but it's not in my conversations, so oh well.
    History
    Lyra grew up in a working class, nationalist household in London, England. At the age of eleven, earth was destroyed by the mysterious invasion of tentacles. The only reason her family survived was their deep ties to the military- specifically, the Royal Navy. Their privilege granted them passage to a colony on Mars designated for them. Due to lack of space on the planet, however, the British were begrudgingly forced to consolidate themselves with other groups, and Lyra spent her teen years surrounded by the former inhabitants of the Anglo countries of the world- Mainly America, Canada, and of course, the UK.

Her adolescence was dominated by her parents' deep ideals for their children; their most successful and profound impact on her was pushing her through Naval Academy. Lyra spent most of her time here dedicating herself to the band, both for the military and the public as entertainment. She became engrossed in this and applied herself to every conceivable musical genre and instrument she could, learning both to perform and compose. As she progressed in arts, so to did she in academics.

She made it apparent that she was a quick learner and quite advanced for her rather young age, and the Navy's research division offered her a full scholarship to dedicate herself to design- an offer which she initially refused. This was to the total awe of her parents, who forced her to accept it. Despite the distaste, she excelled in her classes and garnered significant attention, majoring in weapons design and later working for the related naval department.

For a short while, it looked as if Lyra were destined to make groundbreaking progress in the field; however, Lyra's personal distaste for authority- primarily due to her parents' cloying of its image- she decided she could not allow her work to contribute to potential wrong doing. Her contempt climaxed when her personal files were confiscated by the Weapons Design department, and in a fit of disgust and hopelessness, she organized for herself to disappear from the colony. With a great amount of pain, she managed to steal a ship from the Navy and abandon her family and life, going so far as to fake her death on said ship to erase the chance of her being chased.

Present
    She arrived on the Fringe after this at the age of 21, where she hopes to either produce or discover the authority that she can have faith in and devote herself to in order to do good. Lyra has a deep-seated work ethic that tends to wear her out very quickly- In a way, she loves to work, because her work feels like play. She mainly commissions custom firearms for the many inhabitants of the fringe, specializing in the more colorful and cutting-edge guns as a form of challenge (it is noteworthy as well that she has a penchant for the nonlethal, but let no one say that she limits herself to it). In addition, she performs and composes music, doing live acts alongside pre-recorded holograms of herself for greater effect and engaging in club EDM.

Personality
    Lyra, in spite of all that she has to keep her busy, has a deep desire to find adventure in her life. This can be attributed to her past as a bookworm, especially in a background so rigorous as the military. Her tendency is to throw herself into things no matter the danger or risk, in hope of striking excitement. Her ultimate, driving impetus is a desire to be, or at least participate in, being the ideal authority that anyone can trust to do right and do it effectively, a force she sorely lacked in early life. Her demeanor is normally cheery, but she has a notable capacity for seriousness and a deep maturity that very rarely shows itself. Most of the time, she hides this with her outwardly happy and friendly nature, and as it rears its head it can often be interpreted as spurious and one-off. Lyra places a extreme internal emphasis on being fair, objective, and self-sacrificial to an idealistic and often detrimental degree. She is very quick to trust friends, which she will make in an afternoon. She can also be described as very curious, itching to learn the practical and refine her thoughts. Despite her intelligence and maturity, she has a troubling undercurrent of brashness and boastfulness, accented by a distinct idealism which often can disappoint her and crush her spirit. Despite her efforts at personal refinement, she is incredibly stubborn. In addition, her great deal of skill is contrasted by a crippling lack of personal experience and an oscillating self-esteem which some may interpret as humility.

Appearance
    Height: 6’2
    Dialect/Accent: Slightly faded London middle-class.
    Race: Caucasian
    Chest: Average
    • Body: Full hourglass, tall build, with a trained musculature of exactly what one expects from the very basic military training.
    • Hair: Turquoise, crafted in a way that makes the colour look rather natural. It is generally left unstyled, left to manifest in whatever way it normally would.
    • Eyes: Stark shade of sunburst which tend to jump out against her regular attire of blue.
    Clothing
    Normally wears an otherwise unadorned sea-green hoodie with skinny jeans that disappear into a pair of large, black, faux-leather hiking boots- they are generally rather dirtied. On her back is a large pack, heavy with items.

Dear god, that's enough of me rambling. Feel free to put her in any role you please.

#4 Lyra, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2017