1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

So...

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Kazyyk, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

Yeah, the completely looted buildings were kinda dumb. You couldn't find /anything/. Whenever we'd get hungry, we'd have to starve to death and find where we respawned, or eat dead rats. That would straight up kill you from the sickness and lack of medical supplies, though.

If there were a respawning loot mechanic, that'd be great.

2. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

I am always skeptical about attempting to roleplay in games hat have heavy game mechanics on a timed system. Most survival games just really aren't friendly to wanting to take time, which is very important in these games, to actually talk with people for extended periods of time. I haven't played the game, so I'm not sure how unforgiving it's mechanics are as opposed to something else however.

3. Not A President

Not A President [help me]

There's a respawning loot system now. WOO.

4. Shadeykins

Shadeykins New Member

It's come a long way, right now they're overhauling pretty much all the animations, adding dynamic/soft lighting, implementing start-of-the-apocalypse radio/tv channels, an updated medical/injury system, and a whole swathe of professions/skill sets.

It's all in pre-public release and you can go play with those things, they're just not in a stable build yet.

As for your experiences I can see that with a more public server for sure, I was talking specifically about more closed/whitelisted environments myself.

Save for a few random event typey things, there's very little preventing you from holing up in a safehouse for extended periods of time and chatting away.

5. Not A President

Not A President [help me]

I think PZRP could work TBH.
    And yeah, I love the medical overhaul.

6. Doctor Frohman

Project Zomboid RP woo. Now we just need some more peoples thoughts on this.

7. Fluffeh

Fluffeh New Member

Never played, or heard of, Project Zomboid/ PZ, when yall first sid PZ I thought it might be Planet zombies or something. if it is a steam game and costs less than 50 dollars, sure, I could get it sometime in the future easily.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1435089811][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, a zombie game that can be used with RP sounds like a good idea to expand onto for this community, especially since you can RP on it.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1435090084][/DOUBLEPOST]Nice, only $15 AND its on steam, I can definitely get it soon, even sooner if it gets a discount, of course.

8. Fluffeh

Fluffeh New Member

Thanks Doctor and Pres. for the agree/optim.! :D

9. NovaZenk

NovaZenk New Member

PZ rp could work
    i bought it recently and its a good gaem that could be rp'd on

10. Wilanator

Wilanator New Member

I would Personally like to see a gmod RP branch because you cant really find a good RP server anymore and it would be nice to basically see another starship troopers RP... (I used to watch someone play it and i never got the chance too... lel)

11. meanwhile

meanwhile drunk cyberpunk catgirl

That would honestly be a massive step in the wrong direction, because gmod RP is pretty terrible in general, and I speak from experience as both an ex-player of many servers and ex-host of four servers.

12. Shadeykins

Shadeykins New Member

As much fun as I had with HL2RP, SSTRP, and Fallout RP on GMod that community took a serious dive about five years back. I speak not only from personal experience as a player, but someone who's also been seated as a lead admin, and a community lead/creator on such servers. The platform is simply too accessible and too popular on chan/facepunchy forums, meaning the community is rife with griefers, trolls, and bored script kiddies.

There is also the fact that everyone and their mom has Garry's Mod meaning the barrier to entry is laughably low - a major problem for any sort of roleplay environment and part of the reason why quality roleplay is best found on older platforms. You can argue that using a whitelist would produce results, to which I'd counter that any whitelist community on GMod has not lasted long as they all inevitably get DDOS'd into oblivion by someone who thinks people are "being elitist".

13. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

We have great anti-DDOS.

14. Shadeykins

Shadeykins New Member

Then by all means, feel free to start up a server.. That still does not rectify the situation that the GMod community as a whole is garbage, and anyone actually serious about roleplaying has long given up on it by now. Even the long-standing (albeit fairly awful in it's own right) TnB HL2RP server went down because of community problems.

If you find a way to make it work somehow despite that, I'm all for it but.. I'd go for PZRP over GMod personally.

15. meanwhile

meanwhile drunk cyberpunk catgirl

Yeah, Garry's Mod really would not be worth it if you want some quality RP, and it would certainly attract the wrong kind of people to Antares.

16. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

Project Zomboid is great, as a standalone and as a roleplay game. If people wanted to get together and play that, I would be all for it in a heartbeat.

17. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

Well it seems a few people are, or at least were starting to, roleplaying on Terraria. As far as I know (being one of the people playing it) it sort of bottomed out due to people insisting you had to have new chars and as such it devolved into actually playing the game instead of RP'ing. It was suggested last night that we used our endgame chars if we had any but that didn't seem to be either approved or disapproved. This all came from essentially the statement "Terraria has more stuff in one update than Starbound does in the entire game" so it was basically a joke but it was at least imo a step in a good direction.

18. Doctor Frohman

I RPed on Terraria as well a bit. It also turned out to just be "Gameplay with neighbors sometimes knocking on your door and chatting over tea."

19. Fluffeh

Fluffeh New Member

Just bought PZ, Wanna know my nick for it? Zombie Apocalypse simulator. I havent played it yet though, I am going to try it right after it finishes DLing

20. skeletor

skeletor Banned

so broke me decides to sell a lot of my inventory items to get hitman absolution elite edition on sale and then trade it up for project zomboid

guess who got the money 2 minutes after the sale ended