1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Ship combat and you

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by Fiery Wither Rose, May 19, 2015.

1. Kuromimi

Kuromimi New Member

---Sure people wouldn't want to throw away their ships, but! It'd be nice for any future faction fights. If I may make a suggestion of my own, if there were to say... be a critical hit of some sort. Lets say, someone's laser cannon of doom blew your turret off. Then Atk would be lowered depending on how many turrets you have on your ship.
    --- Although I'd hate to have everyone put thousands of guns of their ships (To avoid this I like the fact that there is a cost), at least it does bring some chance to a losing ship to win, or just allows winning ships to crush their enemies faster.
    --- For the critical hits themselves, I thought maybe things like FTL Drive, Engine, Turrets/Other Weapons, Power Supply/Generators, Fuel Tank (Maybe depending on the types, we get some big booms of damage?), and lastly Fire Crits (And I dunno... Maybe some incendiary rounds to help with that?) to help turn the tides of a ship battle.
    --- Annnd not to be a butt, but one last thing. I didn't read completely, but I think I missed to see if there was a Ricochet chance. Maybe the more armored the ship, the more of a Ricochet chance could occur (Although, in all honesty I don't think Lasers will really bounce.). Perhaps it could be for normal AP Shells/Rockets, giving them a buff in damage in trade for ricochet chance.

TL:DR- Lets add us some Crits, and Ricochets to the fight. (Maybe) ---Just a suggestion---

2. Raideck

Raideck Member

Critical hits in my opinion are something I just don't like or understand.

3. Kuromimi

Kuromimi New Member

Well... What I like the most about critical hits is that, being slightly more realistic here, if your gun/turret gets shot up/breaks it'll have to be repaired before firing again(Same to other parts like Engine, etc.). Yeah, critical hits can effect combat for better or for worse, but I think it's worth a shot (or two).

*Edit* I just want to see more damage come out of a fight really, giving ship yards more fun in case fights do break out.

4. Fiery Wither Rose

Fiery Wither Rose TheOneMute

The thing about Ricochets are, I don't think people intentionally slope their hulls. Or use refractive material on them either. Just my thoughts on it. As for crits, rolling a nat 20 is usually allows for Crits

5. Kuromimi

Kuromimi New Member

Yeah, I kinda thought about it after I posted. Ricochets and miss are pretty much the same thing so forget all that I suppose :p

Was just trying to have my voice and be slightly helpful any way possible

6. Shag

Shag High Impact Sexual Implications

This looks interesting!

7. Raideck

Raideck Member

I overlooked a mistake with the batteries but I fixed it on my original post.

8. SP3CTR3

SP3CTR3 Flipping Tables at ignorance!

How would you handle it in the meta aspect? Have people take turns in-game with a dice roller(tabletop simulator)?
    Or how has this kind of thing been done in the past(if it has at all)?

9. Fiery Wither Rose

Fiery Wither Rose TheOneMute

Rolz.org

10. MedMalpractice

MedMalpractice New Member

I've always seen them as when your character is in the zone, and does something way better than they normally can and do that activity.

With that in mind, I like critical hits because that's something that happens to real people all the time. Everyone has that moment of brilliance, or that fleeting bit of perfection, and it can be exciting to see it.

In ship combat, maybe a normal hull shot hits a weapon, or shakes up the enemy's crew. Nothing insane, but still exciting.

Crits are fine imo, instadeath crits are just lazy storytelling.