1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Raids, Crime, and Self Defense

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JimHarrison, Oct 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

I
    can vouch for this. In their early days, outcasts were more or less mara lkay ambiguous mercenaries, and they were pretty outspoken against the wolves, who were also morally ambiguous mercenaries, but the frontier already had issues with them, so naturally the wolves were disliked more.

2. skipi

skipi New Member

i do not believe this is a thread asking for help or suggestions
    i believe this is a thread for clarifying the rumours and bullshittery been spread around, and justifying our point of view
    i do not believe that the outcasts is a bad faction, nor do i believe the rp it produces is bad (barring some fuckers im trying to weed out)

3. LaserLlamas

LaserLlamas Mother of the Pack

Hmmm fair enough I can see that.
    To be a bit blunt, just kick out anyone in your faction who's being an issue. There's a few people in the Wolves I wanted to do that for, but needed more proof to justify it before doing so. Remove them before they become a bigger issue. Just look at the Holy Fleet, they started so many problems because their members couldn't control themselves and started shit with everyone, IC and OOC.

4. Sen

Sen Guest

apart from the fact that they rarely, if ever, left LM because they were too busy defending it

5. Avis

Even if Jim were not encouraging criticism, it's still basic manners to be civil as opposed to instantly telling people to leave. I don't want to be a prick, but if the group is trying to improve itself as Jim claims, it'd be nice to see more cooperation from the faction's founder/leader.

6. LaserLlamas

LaserLlamas Mother of the Pack

Naw they did fine on LM, it's just whenever they left LM they started trouble. Breaking into the castle on Taranis, getting guns aimed at them at the Den. I think the problem was they just got bored of always being at LM, which is why they did all of that junk.

7. skipi

skipi New Member

>nuke
    if someone is able to point out a genuine flaw in the outcasts with something to back it up, i will personally apologize and fix the problem

8. Avis

I already apologized about the misuse of the term, but I guess I'll do it again, sorry. And my point is that you were being an ass when it was more or less unmerited. But I'm no wanting to start a fight or something in this thread, and sadly it looks like you're not open to actually discussing anything with anyone, and instead insulting them first off. So I'll wish everyone luck with this venture, since it's really hard to think of this as a community with "general dickery" being the go-to option for some people, especially a leader of a faction that is open for discussion.

9. GuardianPotato

GuardianPotato New Member

Pretty sure this was brought up as well, but, whats up with the (Seemingly) large amount of explosives? I saw the crater in NC, and that was... Fairly big. Enough to bring down an entire building (Granted, if you simply put them at the right spots, that could do the trick as well), but it also went fairly far down as well, past the sewer.

(Sorry in advance if anything asked is stupid, I'm half asleep ATM)

10. skipi

skipi New Member

explosives have been scaled down since
    and usage for outright, aimless destruction is discouraged

11. GuardianPotato

GuardianPotato New Member

Good to hear!

12. John_McFakename

John_McFakename New Member

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DarknessInducedAudienceApathy

This is what I feel whenever someone mentions the faction. Endless waves of bandits with the sole-purpose of starting meaningless conflict that repeats over and over...
    Doesn't matter if you arrest/execute 5 or 500, the frontier is still a crapsack corner of space with more of them waiting in ambush...

13. Ricardo

Ricardo ERP Champ 2016

I admit that I got a little huffy after all the attacks on Taranis, so anyone that had to see that, I apologize. However, I find it hard not to get a bit irate when there's 3 big attacks in 4 days. It just gets overwhelming when whatever RP you're involved in at that time gets disrupted that often.

14. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

First, feel free to point out any flaws, as I might not have the whole story.

I'm gonna throw my thoughts in here as well. First, on the topic of explosives, IED's or dirty bombs are not hard to create. Taking down buildings might require multiple, but in the grand scheme of things explosives are relatively cheap, excluding planet killers and the like. Also, I would like to point out, that ICly, (and apparently OOCly) the Outcasts are not well liked. At all. They bombed and attacked Taranis multiple times and NC. This means that if you go to a colony that wouldnt want an Outcast there, because of past interactions or because they know about the raids, you must expect to have a little bit of conflict. Its like a known criminal walking into a police station. Also, and this may or may not be true, and its a suggestion, not meant to poitn fingers/solely be mean. There was an incident on Opportunity yesterday with the outcasts, and from what I heard it involved what I call Speed-RP. Not allowing the other party to react. Beam down, grab what youw ant, beam back up. Now, this could of course just be a one-sided story, and if it is, sorry. And if you were part of that incident, please dont try to start anything in here, as it will only turn the whole thread into a flame war. One thing I do ahve a personal problem with, and has been mentioned before, is the seemingly endless wave of characters. I understand that to build up protagonist characters, as well as to make a faction that is bad, you must lose some characters. However, this in itself seems sort of cheap. Maybe if each member of the faction were to have only one character at a time, and not a handful of alts, it would be....better? Make it a little easier to react to? I dont know.

Again, feel free to point out any flaws in this.

15. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Biggest problem I see with the outcasts is that they just infinitely make new, 100% loyal, already in the faction characters whenever someone dies.

Killing off any other factions characters actually tends to result in a reduction of their numbers , and loss of the skills and manpower that character provided. And whilst it is possible and allowed for people to make new characters to join any faction after their character dies, other factions tend to require actual, organic rp'd out application to their faction. The new character doesn't just appear already in the faction.

16. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

I dont think theres any problem with alts. It adds "meat". A problem arises when said disposable alt tries to convince another player to die at their hands. A disposable shouldnt be killing anyones main unless the main player wants it.

17. skipi

skipi New Member

loyalty actually is an issue IC
    youre right i should delete my faction because a few guys have died over the course of its existence
    1 our goal was right next to the beam pad
    2 there were two new members with us that didnt really know what they were doing, i was eager to just get out of there before a shitstorm could happen
    i dont see a problem with this
    the outcasts rarely try to force death on anyones character
    and very few of them have more than one outcast character at a time

#37 skipi, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2014
  18. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Most likely an oversight from when the rules were re-written for clarity.
    I'll likely add it back in sometime soon, once I've talked over it's phrasing with the rest of Staff.

19. skipi

skipi New Member

i do not feel that i should have to contact the owner of a colony
    so that they can bring all of their men online in full armour
    just for a simple rescue operation with four outcasts
    when there are already four guards online

something that personally bothers me about the current colonies is the fact that they are supposedly guarded at all times with the full force of the military, to the point where they do not welcome conflict in the slightest
    the reason the outcasts attack taranis is because it is the only rp hub
    and outcasts are kill on sight on taranis

#39 skipi, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2014
  20. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

^ I agree. Also, theres a huge difference between attacking a colony and attacking /someone/ on a colony. The outcasts always ask for permission before attacking the colony itself. Ive seen it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.