1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Racial Lore and History

Discussion in 'Unofficial Lore Discussion' started by Khaltor, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Wreth

Wreth New Member

They literally have an armour set called the cannibal set which says in the description it has metal teeth built into it for tearing through floran flesh, and that disgraced florans are thrown into a pit with a floran cannibal to be eaten.

Then there is this.

Meet the Florans | Starbound

''Though a unisex race, Floran culture values survival through reproduction and expansion over environmentalism or any percieved bond to Mother Nature. Cannibalism during funeral rituals and wars with rival factions are commonplace, though it remains unclear whether it’s out of conservation or simple tradition.''

However if you really dislike the cannibalism

There is also this.

''Introducing space travel to the primitive Florans had the undesired effect of Floran colonies spanning across star systems, each with their own customs and levels of aggression.''
    [DOUBLEPOST=1439145691][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Yes, in the current Tribe's planet I built a tree that was specifically meant to represent the tree we grow needler rifles from, and a toxictop farming patch to represent where we get out poison/acid weaponry. I would not be against people burning them down if it made sense for them to know about it IC.

2. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Hylotl lore is very limited as is.
    But it seems to be heavily influenced by the island nations like Korea and Japan. Especially with the sci-fi kind of stuff that is available (arcade stuff, anime references etc.). Alongside the more traditional items and the melee-weaponry.

But the main reason the less popular races are not often played is because they lack the most lore to build upon, so you cant make a decent character that might fit your interests.
    I like to see more Hylotl and Apex, but first there needs to be some kind of clear history and storyline to go from so people have an easier time to create a backstory or some kind of history and personality for their characters. Avians, Florans and Humans have a pretty consistent and solid history for their species to derive interesting characters from.

I'm all up for creating a history for the Hylotl with influences from the stereotype Asian cultures to help form a solid base for people to make characters out. Can even borrow some ideas and concepts from other sci-fi stuff to patch the foundation even further.

3. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

Another interesting thing to consider is life span. Does every race live a similar life span? Can Glitches repair themselves to theoretically live forever? Tough stuff folks.

4. Wreth

Wreth New Member

I don't think this really matters since people aren't going to be RPing their characters for that long.

5. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

I guess thats true enough.

Something else im not too sure about is the matter manipulator. Is it even a thing in character? If so how strong is it? In my personal opinion, it seems a little OP for everyone to have a personal DESTROY ANYTHING gun. Maybe if it was capable of cutting through wood and dirt at a moderate pace, and things like metal would take a long time to cut, then it would be a little more balanced to have one.

6. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

Matter manipulator is not IC. If you chop down a tree or something along those lines, I would just say you used an ax or something of that nature.

7. Yotan

Yotan New Member

That does not necessarily me they eat their dead. In fact It could be that they take, kidnap, or kept members of rival tribes person to sacrifice in honor then eating during funeral rituals.

However that is my opinion do whatever.

------------------------------------------------------------

So is it possible that is what Directive 0451 is? A racial directive to watch, study, and relay at a distance or with some interactions where any information is sent back to the core planets. It kind of make sense if you think about it. If you have thousands up on millions of observations sent back to a central archive to better understand florans on a whole. As well as mark and identify different tribes, etc.

This could be begs to question what other types of directives are there. Perhaps there is one for every race. How knows. However it would be interesting to create these directives for Antares lore... as well as the hylotl lore in general till CF get off their butts. Or that obscure hylotl underwater stuff is patched it.

8. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

Something I think would be interesting to flesh out is Avian's intolerance of alcohol. In this official wiki, (Linked here: Apex Drink - Starbounder - Starbound Wiki The Avian inspect line suggest's Avians dont handle alcohol well. I think It would be interesting If Avians could only consume small amounts of alcohol before becoming drunk, and excessive drinking could case health issues, like liver failure. Its a minor thing, but its cool to have small differences in the races like this in my opinion. Also from the same page, it suggests Hylotl dont drink alcohol, but only tea. Just some things to consider.

9. SP3CTR3

SP3CTR3 Flipping Tables at ignorance!

Hey how are we deciding what's added to canon? This seems like a good question if we don't want to just let this thread(and others like this) go on into eternity. Is there going to be votes or are the regents going to decide?

10. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

??? What about ricewine?

11. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Also flashing out about earth being over taken by the Beast/tentacle monster. To mean I would like to see that it has been decades that the USCM has been dealing with the beast consuming the earth and not just a few years. I am not saying 50 years or anything. Maybe something along the lines of 20 years? Give the humans time to establish themselves a bit in the universe.

12. Wreth

Wreth New Member

I think humans being not at their full power and being scattered is part of the Starbound setting. If you want to RP a military character in a big powerful Empire there's the Apex for that.

In Starbound the destruction of Earth was very recent.

13. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

Some people like having old characters, y'know.
    I had an 86 year old Human and still have a 53 year old Avian.

14. SP3CTR3

SP3CTR3 Flipping Tables at ignorance!

Cy is pretty old, I haven't decided how old though...and he's a glitch.

15. Yotan

Yotan New Member

No I don't play human characters. If you read what I wrote, it had nothing to do with humans being as powerful as the Apex. In fact I was going with the Starbound setting, "Recent" to me mean that the humans are still rather a player in the SB universe when power is concerned. Where after more of a couple decades they would be a bit more scattered, strung out, and weakened. Frankly recent does not really define well on a time phrase. 1 year is recent. 5 years is recent. 10 years is recent, hell 20 years can be considered recent.

Frankly "recent" is a cop out word as the definition reinforces it.

re·cent
    ˈrēs(ə)nt/
    adjective
    1. having happened, begun, or been done not long ago or not long before; belonging to a past period of time comparatively close to the present.

Okay not really a cop out more of a term used to avoid specific time. Again I don't think 8 years is not enough to weaken the human races resources dealing/fighting with the beast. Really if you honestly think about it, after most of the humans left earth, it would take at least a few years to regroup, then probably a year to allocate resource to fight the beast. So what than a 5 year war against the beast? To me 17 years (minus prep time) seems more efficient to dwindle humanities resources to the point where humans begins to scatter, spread out, etc.

Frankly could not care about what races is more powerful, i have little bias toward any races. I prefer to have the logic of the lore seem more reasonable, within reason if that makes sense.

16. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Since the topic was character age, the "recent" meant here is relative to a human lifespan, 20 years is not recent in a human lifespan.

17. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Yeah but we are not talking about a human lifespan. We are talking about humanities lifespan.

18. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

Generally the idea is that most of the United Systems was over Mars at the time. The US had control over Sol and some of the area, although there were wars going one with some of the factions of Earth. While Earth's destruction probably severely weakened the US, it most likely more or less wiped out the other Earth factions, keeping the US the sole survivor, or at least, the only strong survivor. Humans as a race are horribly crippled in the Lore, especially considering they were isolationists anyways; their government hardly left their home system other than to build prisons. The lore is set up with the intentions of humans being weaker.

19. Yotan

Yotan New Member

So... I was watching Planet of the Ape (original) and I remember a few interesting faces.

Most of us can agree that Apex are more physically related to chimpanzees and other large apes, while having improved intelligence. Now if my biological history of humans is remembered correctly. When humans were losing our hair we also gained our improved internal cooling system, called sweating. :p

With that being said the Apex were similar to humans before the VEP usage. Which means that when the Apex use the VEP to improve intelligence and the cost of devolving physically (persay). If anyone know anything about the great apes, they can't sweat as much as humans. This means that Apex have a physical disadvantage on high temperature planets like deserts, magma, and volcano planets.

Sure I can hear some of what you say, but what about the heat protection? It combats that, right? However.... no. "Heat Protection - a protective skin around the player allowing them to breathe on airless planets and moons and have protection from extreme heat." Which mean that is do not regulate internal body temperature of being.

Well would about suits that protects from heat?

Sure, probably for extreme environment such as magma planets, volcano planets, or space. But you don't need a suit for desert planets which will still leave Apex vulnerable to over heating. Were Floran dry up in desert conditions, I think that it is only reasonable to say the Apex due to their devolved physical state can physically handle hot environments.

20. TrashHound

How about novakid facial expressions? Or if they can scar or not? We haven't talked about the novakid much, which have the least written lore about them. It might be good to establish lore about this race, seeing as how I've noticed more and more people playing as them.