1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Power Armor and Ground Pressure

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sen, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Sen

Sen Guest

No, it doesn't. You haven't given any numbers with explanations (and the numbers you have given have not helped your case), and instead dance around the fallacy of "it's the future, anything is possible 400 years from now!".

Processor speeds are bound by how small we can make them - the atomic limit and the speed of light. The amount that multithreading CPUs can help improve a system is bound by Amdahl's law. My ping to this server is bounded by the speed of light. The amount of data that can be transmitted over a channel is bounded by the Nyquist rate. There are finite limits to what is and is not possible, and no amount of "future" is going to change this, unless you want to roleplay in a setting that holds absolutely no parallels to reality whatsoever. From what I understand, roleplaying a flying, teleporting, wall-walking mind reading wizard who violates the laws of physics as we know it is frowned upon in this community.

Because it was an easy yet accurate estimation to make. How about we coat our person with only just 1cm of Vitreloy?
    1.9 m^2 BSA.
    36100 * 6.1 = 220 kg.

Our average human weighs 75kg. That means with Vitreloy, we weigh about ~4 human masses. This gives us 8 * 4 = 32 psi average ground pressure when standing, 64 psi when walking.

Throw in all the machinery and computers, and we're looking at somewhere near my original estimate.

2. WrongEndoftheRainbow

WrongEndoftheRainbow Leprechaun Not Found

There's a difference between over exaggerated super technology (AKA your flying, teleporting, wall-walking mind reading wizard), and technology that while we do not have today, is feasible in the future after four centuries of technological and scientific advancement. Take, for example, a metal that can reshape itself if damaged if given the right temperature. Sounds impossible and science fiction, right?

As for your words about how the electronics would weigh a shit ton, I point you to the man-made material currently being researched, prototyped, and tested in labs today.

[​IMG]

That is a paper-thin computer screen being rolled out like a scroll. It's made by mixing ionic fluids with carbon nanotubes. Who's to say we, as humans, cannot capitalize on that and improve upon it's design, over the span of 400 years? Who says we cannot make even further miniaturized computers?

You know the carbon nanotubes I mentioned in the paper-thin screen?

[​IMG]

They are the result of an arc welder experiment, and have extreme tensile strength. While they are only microns long, and it seems impossible to weave them together, a man sized blanket has been made from them. A concept thought impossible, done. Who would've thought? The point is, if we have these things today, why can't we improve upon that base given 400 years to do so? The argument that because it isn't possible given materials we have today and available modern equipment, and then saying we'll never be able to get it in the future because of that, is quite frankly, bullshit. Sermane is right when he says humanity is likely to create alloys that are much better then what we have today. Couple all of that with our ever-increasing speed of discoveries, which is only bound to get faster as we create more sophisticated equipment, and it begins to look incredibly feasible.

3. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

This isn't about whether Power Armor is FEASIBLE. This is about whether power armor is APPLICABLE. And in many situations, it's just not realistic. Your'e not going to go romping through a muddy, swampy jungle in half a ton of power armor. You're going to go in light, well covering gear. Power armor makes sense for, say, urban environments. But sand and mud are going to be hell to move through.

Power Armor is not the end-all-be-all to becoming an immortal cyborg.

4. WrongEndoftheRainbow

WrongEndoftheRainbow Leprechaun Not Found

I'm not arguing it's applicability, I'm arguing the absurdity of saying a human made of titanium is an accurate representation of an armor, and that because somebody else shrugged off an explosive in power armor, it obviously means that ability is included in every suit of power armor on the server. And then taking this and saying that the entire topic of power armor is idiotic and we're all mentally disabled and horrible RPers because of these inaccurate factors.

5. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

Oh wait until toadkid sees this shit.