1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

[Optional] Community Mod Pack

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kazyyk, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Silver

Silver Ain't no thing like me 'cept me.

Thank you for the file name change, Kaz!

2. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

Just add the RP chatbox to the server and if people have small screens they remove it. It isn't fair to make us suffer because a few people have tiny monitors.

3. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Technically, the RP Chatbox is added.
    It's actually pretty big relative to the vanilla one.
    Just don't overwrite your original chatbox Mod when you update.

4. The Grand Mugwump

No Starfoundry please. It's a really neat mod, but not for a RP server already strained.

5. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

agreed, really isnt necessary for an RP server.

6. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I understand your concerns and am looking into a hardware upgrade. I just don't have the funds for it right now.
    I'd need about $100 more in donations to be able to cover the installation cost + 1st month's payment.
    The difference would be an upgrade in CPU clockspeed, which given Starbound's unoptimized code, is very important.
    We'd see an increase from 3.4 to 3.7, perhaps more if they overclock, though I'm not sure they do.
    It'd help with the lag, not the crashes, as I'm still figuring those out.

7. Jay

Jay New Member

Gonna support this. I understand that you're working on the server stuff, but in the meantime, we really shouldn't add additional things that will cause stress.

8. LeD

LeD New Member

For people concerned with lack of HUD: Ive been using my own, self-made for One and a Half month now and it works great.
    Background is darker and more opaque so text is easier to read.
    It is also much taller so you can see more messages.
    You can scroll back by 1000 messages, which means knowing everything since you joined the server.
    It is also wider so long messages aren't fractured into multiple lines.
    Oh, and stays longer before disappearing..
    Download is from my personal dropbox:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3mxt96463j9d3u4/GuiResizer.rar

9. Silver

I would also like to add that I do not think Starfoundry, neat as it is, has a place on an RP server. I feel that we should refine more, not add more; some people are already unhappy with a lot of our current mods, we have an update from Chucklefish in the near future which will invalidate all the mods/cause issues, and the mods we do have contain issues such as the immortal moleman (I know he was made killable via another mod, but that is an example of how we need to do further testing with what we already do have.)

So please, no Starfoundry. Let us playtest and refine the present issues/modpack.

10. Hawke

Hawke ACK!

I would strongly argue against any blatantly-not-vanilla-compatable mods at this point in time. Without any way to mandate use of the mod pack, a good portion of the playerbase will remain vanilla, and will then be unable to access any settlements that use the custom assets (and something like starforge will see use). Plus, this is going to cause logistical nightmares around update periods when we have to wait for the mod to catch up with the vanilla game version.

11. White

White The Guy who is always working.

I have to agree with Hawke on this one.

12. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

Especially since it's a wire-use heavy mod, and wire itself is broken as all hell. Maintain the course, focus all resources on establishing server stability.

Also about those crashes.

I've noticed people place the dispensers from creative mod on planets. I'm pretty sure that's what causes it. If you're gonna use it, place the item on your ship, use it, then remove it to avoid any additional strain.

13. Silver

Or go to Single Player, spawn all the blocks/tools you need, and then come over to the server. Leave the dispensers off the server please or at least off the major settlements. It's really not that hard to import necessary blocks from SP.

14. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

As for testing the modpack, I think we would have to consider us the testers, unless the staff wants to take a week to boot us all out and test it themselves in an isolated environment. We'll just have to suffer through it and focus on adding one mod successfully to the pack at a time, rather than adding in new ones constantly.

#194 Punished Tacc, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2014
  15. Pixel

Pixel Captain Amurica

50 dollars now. Eleven appears to have donated 50. :)

16. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Sadly, that was including her $50 donation.

17. LeD

LeD New Member

Discussion was quite hot when I posted this so I will say it again, quite differently this time.
    I want to ask to change current chat mod into my chat mod that I have been using for about 1.5 month.
    It is wider and taller, background is darker and more opaque, Everything looks fine pixel-precise, it stays longer without hiding itself and keeps up to 1000 messages (doesn't make any performance issues)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3mxt96463j9d3u4/GuiResizer.rar

18. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

It's too big.

19. LeD

LeD New Member

RP is about Chat and I found that extra space more useful as text area than as graphical world representation(read: area without text).
    I'd suggest poll on the size.
    But if not, I can agree to lower chat, but keep it wide. Width is really what makes texts hard to read.

20. Pixel

Pixel Captain Amurica

The current chat mod is perfect. I wouldn't want a bigger chat covering gameplay