1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Official Lore Suggestion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rezima, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Problem with landing the ships is weight vs.gravity and thruster power output requiring lift and decent. Landing a ship weighting ten of thousands, even millions of Kilograms on a planet of gravity. Also you have atmospheric friction would be another issue. Most of the ships in starbound (talking Vanilla) are not aerodynamic. Specially Novakid, Glitch, Apex, Human, and Floran ships, the would disintegrate and break up in the atmosphere. It would cause more issue to the ship if they landed planet ship.

However another idea is that ship DO dock on orbital platforms, then crew gets off, and beams down from the orbital platform.

I agree totally, but also other type of fuel, such as rods and star are more of an effective form of Eeze but obviously expensive.

Also I feel that while the Erchius crystal are used at operating the FTL drives much like the lithium crystals in Startrek. When the Erchius Crystals are crush and gone through refining process is turned into "liquid" Erchius fuel. Unlike Ore, rods, or stars which burns in its natural or more refined state. Where as Erchius crystals unless crush, and refined it is only useful for just the FTL drive and not as a fuel.

Another idea on tech level when it comes to armor in the game. I think it would be benifical to state that no matter the armor, it technically all the same. With just different subtle when it comes to design. Such as:
    • Apex: Increases run speed and jumping height. (<- Added actuators in the legs of the armor, but only a factor of 10% improvement)
    • Avian: Allows the player to glide. (<- Armor plate reconfiguration to allow more surface area for increased air resistance)
    • Floran: Sunlight is converted into Energy. (<- Solar cells built into the hard plates)
    • Glitch: Increases mining speed. (<- Added actuators in the arms, but only a factor or 10% improvement)
    • Human: Extra Inventory space. (<- Extra pockets upon the armor)
    • Hylotl: Allows the player to breathe underwater and swim faster. (<- Artificial Gills added to the helm, and reconfiguring surface plats on the boots)
    • Novakid: Generates light around the player. (<- non-toxic Illuminate gel weaved into fabric part of the armor.)
    Other than the above list, weather it is made of steel or imprevium compound that only thing that is different is the armors design and look. All is like the Mass effect armor With modification:

Body Armor:
    Basically I took out all of the parts evolving the kenetic shield barriers. As for the server all armor or plating can be referred to as a kinetic barrier, if they want. Again I modified what they said in mass effect to work in starbound.

---------------------------------------------------------------

When if comes to weapons we can take another pages from Mass Effect's codex. Other than the type of weapon is it is and the ammo used. Again all weapons should be treated the same. Each weapon as a "Mass Accelerator"

Small Fire:
    When it comes to the energy recharge of the game mechanic the server either can go with:

Heat venting weapons, Reloading Thermal clips, or stick with we need to put ammo in it (Which is not a thing in game). I personally say heat venting weapons, as it makes sense.
    • Additional changes for Starbound explain the energy bar.
    • Needlers use the same heat venting.
    • Bows it is the person's stamina
    • Crossbows is the weapon resetting itself for another shaved bolt.

#41 Yotan, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2015
  2. Rezima

Rezima New Member

We have some beaming rules, but they are mostly for PVP balancing, as players were using it as a cop out to avoid combat they started. We had a more comprehensive list of what was and was not allowed with it, but we eventually simplified it to, Beaming, for the purposes of preventing abuse, is not an acceptable method of retreat. Beaming can't be done on the fly, so to speak, but we decided it should only take 10-20 seconds to calibrate and beam away provided you aren't being shot at, and requires either a beampad or a clear line of sight to the sky.

Also when I said mass effect I did not intend to just steal their tech ideas, just that LEVEL of tech. No mass effect fields or anything like that, and probably not thermal clips either. Just advanced technology, basic shields, better armour with ablative plating and such, more futuristic ballistic weaponry, maybe some lasers and such(but to be honest ballistics would still be more effective in most every case)

A note though, we are aware that some players like to make 'replicas' of old timey guns. We don't want to see AKs and Glocks and such, it's the year 2415 in game and such weapons would be likely less effective than a musket at this point, if they even fired. So please don't go around making and selling them, it's getting kind of silly and we are trying to raise the level of tech in antares, not backpedal even further.

3. Raideck

Raideck Member

But we can make variants of said guns just a different name, for example; AK47=AR99 and make it modern to this time. All it'd share is similar look.

4. Shag

Shag High Impact Sexual Implications

So just change the name basically.
    It's not just ballistics which has improved, its also ergonomics and size and weight of the gun. It shouldn't look exactly the same as an AK95 or AK47 just because you like how it looks. Guns would have developed to fit smaller places or would've changed shape in order to be used more comfortably and with higher precision.

5. Raideck

Raideck Member

Then you make the gun, I'm not an artist. I'm saying it with a ic and ig perspective. I don't understand what you're expecting. It's a game, yes we need to be more futuristic but what it boils down to is we are all too nit picky and cry about the small details such as this.

6. Shag

You're right, but it just feels kinda wrong to use the same 400 year old guns in a futuristic settings. Hey I'm willing to sprite up several guns, shields, grenades, armor and vehicles and such which are fitting for a futuristic setting. I'm sure other people would be too.

If anyone's willing, we could make a steam chat and discuss this problem and how to solve it. Maybe we can even work together to create a decently drawn optional items pack with a futuristic theme in mind for everyone in the server to use freely, from your common merc or thief to the more professional security contractors and military types. This is just a suggestion, however.

This is my steam profile if anyone is interested

PS: This is supposed to be a server-friendly addition with no compatibility issues. We will be using SB graphical, or the newer Custom Signs Generator to seamlessly apply these items with Starcheat.

PPS: Plagiarism is the one thing we won't have in this pack. Everything will be made by those who contribute, nothing will be taken from other people.

#46 Shag, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2015
  7. Raideck

Raideck Member

I wish you luck in this endeavor.

8. Rezima

Rezima New Member

Do not just make reskins of old guns, make new guns. There are 7 races making 7 different lines of guns, they would not all be using old human guns, even humans would likely be using newer guns

9. Raideck

Raideck Member

As stated above;

10. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Well, several races already have racial guns.

• Florans have needlers, stinger guns and acid launchers, made from plants.
    • Avians have their crystal blasters
    • Novakid have their unique racial wild west style guns
    • Glitch have crossbows
    • Humans have Pulse Rifles
    It's only Apex and Hylotl that currently lack racial firearms.

11. Rezima

Rezima New Member

My point was more about the people who make custom guns specifically so that they look like guns from history. That is fine and all, but don't bring it into roleplay if you can help it.

12. Shag

13. Rezima

Rezima New Member

14. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

Starbound is a game, yes, but to this community it is a roleplay platform, not just a game. I am not trying to single you out, but I am sick of the "There's silly stuff in the game so serious roleplay is dumb" argument. Try to be constructive, other than saying "I don't like it so we shouldn't do it".

15. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Going by strictly in game weapons, apex have the Tesla coil guns. Hylotl have the bubble gun. Pacifism at its finest.

16. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

It'll be interesting too and further expand colony design. There would be a landing dock at the start and stuff. I approve just thinking about ship hubs.

17. Raideck

Raideck Member

That's not what I was saying but creating weapons is something I can't do.

18. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

I would like for us to establish how exactly FTL travel and erchius crystals function. My personal headcanon is that they bend spacetime to cheat their way around the light barrier. I've seen other people mention wormholes, and actual FTL travel, as in breaking the universe speed limit.

My proposal is the Alcubierre drive concept. Spacetime is bent in a wave around the vessel using some sort of strange/exotic matter (erchius crystals, maybe?) to achieve interstellar travel. The "warp drive" Would have problems functioning near massive bodies, like your mom - I mean, a planet or star, and if the vessel got too close to an object with mass, there would be too much strain on the warp drive and the spacetimewave would collapse. This would be good ICly, in allowing a little creative scientific freedom in the use of Erchius crystals, as well as OOCly, preventing people from being able to use their ships as FTL missiles.

I think it would be good to establish the function of Erchius, before we scientists go and accidentally make headcanon contradictory to other scientists headcanon. One of the scientists working in my little group is planning on researching Erchius after we finish our current project, so yeah. What do y'all think?

TL;DR - Erchius, I think it should bend spacetime under certain conditions. What does everyone else think?

19. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

I personally like it, it gives an explanation, but it's not so specific that it can't be messed with by your average, non-scientific person's mind.

20. Wreth

Wreth New Member

The thing is, Erchius is not completely understood, even within the Starbound universe in the lore. Personally I enjoy that sense of mystery, and that not everything can be explained via rational science.