1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Official Lore Suggestion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rezima, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Venom

Venom New Member

A codex says humanity was /the/ first race to take to the stars, even ahead of the Apex although they seemingly have surpassed us in technology.
    http://starbound.gamepedia.com/A_Human_Introduction

It also says it was limited to the solar system, but that makes little sense as various border conflicts with Florans are mentioned and there are bases /everywhere/

2. Shag

Shag High Impact Sexual Implications

Regardless, we gotta keep this train on its rail. Any more ideas?

3. Wreth

Wreth New Member

I always interepreted it as being the USCM expanded beyond our solar system, hence the bases and the USCM prisons. But civilian human colonies didn't really exist much outside our solar system until after the destruction of Earth.

The prison sign says ''penal colony''. A penal colony is ''A penal colony is a settlement used to exile prisoners and separate them from the general populace by placing them in a remote location, often an island or distant colonial territory.''

The human player character mentions how humanity has outlawed torture, yet there are torture devices in the penal colonies. Seems like the USCM did some pretty immoral stuff in secret away from the general human populace. Deep space away from Earth and the Sol system makes sense for a place to do this.

Humanity may well have invented Space Travel first but humanity's infighting prevented outward exploration into the stars. Humans are mentioned in Starbound as being unique in the amount of infighting that happens within the race. The other races may have experienced schisms into two factions but none of them have experienced the amount of infighting that occurs in human society, with hundreds of different groups fighting for control. Imagine if every country in the world today put their resources and best minds into advancing space travel, imagine what we could achieve.

4. Venom

Venom New Member

There's also sources that directly contradict the infighting like the human intro video, however, so I'd say the mods need to make a proclamation.

5. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Being the first to travel the stars. Sounds like generic space travel terminology, not literal traveling from star to star. Humanity being the first in space could just be referring to going to the moon. A lot of lore in starbound requires a healthy chunk of time to play out after all.

6. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

So for other matters.

Reasons for being in Antares
    I like to think about the Gold Rush and the 49ers in which riches were found in the California area of the US, so people just packed their bags and went there either to make a name for themselves, settle, or have freedom. All of which are aspects that all players want. This also gives leeway to pirate raids and other evil things. But here's another thing.

Server Events
    With my Gold Rush of 49 scheme, it is very easy to make a free world corrupt. It's mostly unexplored territory after all and people would like not know what exists on every planet. Perhaps then there should be a native threat such as people playing as monsters. Though, this causes problems, it's an option. Another option would be a rising business mastermind who, rather than raid and pillage, cleverly manipulates the people to his bidding. Such things would be being a wage slave, being blackmailed, forced into debt, etc. This option would shine as a supposedly free frontier being corrupted from within and having its very sense of freedom taken away from it. This also works as a central faction and an overarching plot.

Present Races
    Well, with my scenario it would be relatively empty of civilized races. But whoah, this gives the sudden emergence of a new thing! Native Antaran RP! It would show the tension between descendants of natives vs. those who migrated to the frontier. Though, it does not solve the issue of who'd actually be there. I'd say Florans, and Humans without any knowledge of chronological order.

Tech Level
    Antares in my idea is a place with potential that people come to to seek a fortune or a new life. Technology in this case would be dependent on what they're capable of bringing. It's hard to limit that. Sciencey sci-fi crap could be pulled that it is too dangerous to reach Antares with too much equipment and that the trip can only be made with small vessels. If people only arrive in small vessels, it would show the growth of a frontier of bare lands to people exploring and making technology better.

7. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

There was mention of USCM bases 'opening' after many years of silence, like vaults per se. Perhaps these 'natives' can open their doors with their older tech and different ways and present themselves as the 'natives' of Antares perhaps? Also, natives florans are a good idea too. Would work with my character's backstory :D

8. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Florans are everywhere, or at least trying to be. They are described as ''Expansionist'', and they because of this they have come into conflict with all the other races (except glitch, who they are friends/allies with, and possibly novakid?. Florans hate fire because they are plants, but also love the sun... because they are plants, photosynthesis and all that. I'm not really sure how the Floran see novakid.). They invaded and took over the Hylotl homeworld, they have invaded Human worlds. Despite Apex being described as having great strength, and them having the best technology, the miniknog are still having trouble combating the floran to the point where they considered genetically engineering their soldiers with floran DNA in order to fight the floran. Avians attempted to control the spread of florans too, and floran villages across the universe tell us just how well that turned out.

The racial intros are unfinished and have not been presented in the game or as other media by chucklefish themselves if I remember correctly. I believe they were pulled incomplete out of the game files. Take them with a grain of salt.

9. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

This may be totally off-topic, but how do Florans and hiveminded Glitch respond to one another?

10. Wreth

Wreth New Member

''
    The Curious Glitch

by Greenfinger of the Florans

Ever since our two species came together, the Glitch have been a source of intrigue for me. The Hivemind Glitch remind me of our people in many ways; singularly driven, focus on teamwork. And yet the Florans work as a unit through choice, but the Glitch appear connected to some kind of central mainframe. A sentient AI, perhaps? Or something else. The truth has been lost to history. Nonetheless, it is remarkable to consider that in this way, the Florans far outmatch the Glitch in terms of societal advancement.

It is the Outcasts who interest me most. Many of these free-thinking Glitch have come into our midst. Their physiology means they have little to fear from the Florans, but there is more than that. There is an affinity between the two species, of which there is no denying.''

11. Rezima

Rezima New Member

Alright, I think we have more than enough racial information for the moment, any other ideas you guys would like to see?

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

More conflict. Robberies should be more common. This is a frontier. Shortages. It seems like alcohol and bullets are in infinite supply, as well as fuel and food. Food shouldn't be that big a deal, though.

13. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

As far as I remember, they used to be more common and that was problematic. Just because it's a frontier doesn't mean it has to be lawless. Some sort of law wouldn't be a terrible thing. If anything, it'd provide a concrete platform for lore expansion, story, and events.

14. Yotan

Yotan New Member

-Races present in Antares(if any) before it started to be settled by players and what said races were doing before we arrived.

First off the entire Antares is a sector of space withing a Nebula, called obviously Antares. Getting through the Nebula's veil wall can cause damage to smaller ships (hence the damage character ships have), larger or expertly piloted ships can get through with just a few scratches. Which would give reason why only the hardy would enter in.

Limited colonization of humans I agree and what Wreth stated about the humans. Hylotl is a bit hard, but nomadic seems about right. Ground Avians in the sector have well established places, but older ways then current Grounded makes sense. I would also go as far as saying that these older Grounded ways are a bit outdated, even for current grounded.

-Reasons players have come to this sector, what has drawn them here, why have they left their homes to come here?
    • To cause problem
    • Profiting from illegal/clandestine operations
    • Fresh, unexploited worlds filled with virtually unlimited and untapped resources ready to be claimed by the big energy/mineral-drillin' corps.
    • Colonization efforts offer multiple jobs in various fields in order to [self-]sustain the colony.
    • Adventure and treasure-hunting.
    • A new shot at life, where no one knows who you are, allowing you a second chance.
    • Job opportunities everywhere in general.
    • Answer seekers wondering about the gates.

-A potential central faction that may be in charge of the sector in some way.

Right now I would say the faction that is running Katune A-291. All those that enter the Antares nebula sector space is require to be documented at the Port of Authority, ships and all. Even a good place to have a character profiles, nothing big. Race, gender, height, weight, eye color, hair/fur/feather/fin color, skin/fur/feathers/shell/gas coloration, identification marks (tattoos, war paint, scars, etc.), reason for being in the sector, and ship used (if applicable).

-A definitive tech level, as this has been an issue of late, we don't want anything super advanced, but people running around in kevlar in 2415 is also a bit odd.

Personally I feel titanium armor is common, with the high end being Durasteel. Mass Effect level seems good as well.

-Ideas for a potential overarching plot throughout the sector, something to possibly generate public events for the players and help acclimate newer players.
    • Floran's in the sector, while remain tribial on the planets. They should bw like the Reavers from Firefly when they have ships, and eve more feral than the Dionaea Tribe. Also these Feral Florans are at constant battle.issues with Shagmeister pirates.
    • Aragran mushroom race should be fear as like this thread.
    • The USCM should have many Covert Operation in the sector (some active, some abandon), and running arcoss these operation and restricted space. Will cause more issues than any is willing to deal with.

15. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

I think the Hylotl player is some kind of missionary, who tries to spread his pacifistic culture/philosophies. In general i think the Hylotls seem like the most "cultured" race in terms of art, philosophy, politics and underwater combat.

I think their clumsyness on land or their frailty on land (a lot of other races patronize the Hylotl) can be explained because they have a natural affinity with water, and aren't that used to a life living above water.

(http://starbounder.org/Standard_Issue_Fridge: Hylotl: We have no need for such devices under the ocean. I must adapt to surface life.
    http://starbounder.org/Pond_Set ; they ride fish into underwater battle...
    http://starbounder.org/Euphotic_Set ; their eggs hatch on the beach, like turtles, and the young are then led down into the ocean, which leads me to believe that Hylotl, in universe (but not in the game mechanics) are able to breathe underwater
    http://starbounder.org/Reef_Set)
    • Glitch Guard Comments to Hylotl
      • Greetings
        • "Bored. I would absolutely love to hear more about your culture."
        • "Condemning. I'm sure you're here just to be awkward."
        • "Contemptuous. I can see you're about to cause trouble."
        • "Disinterest. Just pipe down, fish."
        • "Dismissive. Try not to get yourself killed, Hylotl."
        • "Insincerity. Have an absolutely wonderful day, Hylotl friend!"
      • Warnings (First)
        • (While holding sword) - "Derision. There are no lily pads to carve around here. Put that weapon away."
        • (While holding sword) - "Scorn. What are you going to do with that weapon, exactly? Put it away."
        • (While holding gun) - "Amused. That's a gun, not a toy. Put it away."
        • (While holding gun) - "Suspicious. A Hylotl with a gun is like a Glitch sunscreen. Useless. Holster it."
      • Warnings (Second)
        • (While holding sword) - "Enraged. I said put that weapon away before we start suspecting you know how to use it."
        • (While holding sword) - "Gleeful. That's it, keep the weapon out, give us an excuse..."
        • (While holding gun) - "Furious. We say again, holster the gun Hylotl, or you'll be sleeping with the fishes."
        • (While holding gun) - "Mirthful. Holster it now before you shoot your scales off."
    (If you've watched "Justice League: Throne of Atlantis" it's mentioned how similar underwater combat is to aerial combat and how different underwater combat is to combat on land, but i guess in a space age that's also similar to space combat? o_O)

#35 Khaltor, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
  16. Shag

Hey, thanks for using my suggestions for player reasons. :D
    But I honestly digress from some of the other ones you made, like just causing problems.

Even if some random character appeared to wreak havoc he needs at least a reason, a cause. 'Just cause' shouldn't be the reason.

As for the rest, I think we're focusing on bullet-y conflict too much. You guys have to remember that this is not the Old West. It'ts 2415 and 600-800 year old concepts don't apply. While the Agarans and Floran might be a concern, I believe that the taming and colonization of each and every different planet should be the biggest part of RP.

Why? Well, every planet is different, and it may not have an atmosphere, or it might be too cold, or too hot, or maybe the biological make-up of the flora and fauna of the planet is simply incompatible with ours and everything there is poison to us. Maybe everything there wants to kill us and there are very cunning apex predators running about looking to eat you. But people seem to forget about that part of roleplay.

Let's also remember that each colony has its own planet or even system to itself. Which would mean virtually unlimited resources to it, if it has the equipment and labour at hand.

17. Raideck

Raideck Member

Did someone say.... Pirates? *pats Raideck* Yarrrrr

Anyways... Tech and Lore ideas

Saying Antares us just lawless and bandits are everywhere is... strange. I'd see it to more empty than lawless.

We just need a rp hub to set some great base structure with the right laws and people and we can build off of that.

#37 Raideck, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
  18. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

Do we have set beaming rules? As in, restrictions on how they're able to be used, whether you can do it on the fly, etc etc.? Frankly I prefer landing a ship, just cuz its cool to do, but it's certainly less fluid than just going *pew*.

I'm totally on board with Mass Effect level tech stuff.

Another thing, how are these Erchius crystals working? I was thinking maybe they were analogous to eezo, able to change the mass of surrounding matter by an electrical current. Or, maybe they could act as a sort of strange matter that when manipulated correctly is able to bend spacetime in certain ways, effectively serving as the core mechanism for the function of the spaceships we use and essentially using the same principles as the proposed/hypothesized Alcubierre drive.

19. Shag

I agree with Toadkid. I too would rather prefer using shuttles or land ships on the ground than using beaming, if only because of the rule of cool.

Also, if we're planning on implementing M.E. kind of tech and such to the server lore, it'd be nice to see erchius fuel to serve as something other than just ship fuel. It's supposed to be a newly found and poorly-understood material right? Maybe we could use Erchius crystals for, I don't know, mass effects?
    :p

20. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Well Erchius Crystals are used in the production of FTL drives, and are associated with the Erchius horror monster.