1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Mobs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Galimas, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Undedlysh

Undedlysh New Member

Wouldn't working them around each other be good rp? when you play multiple characters, you are creating different souls that will never interact with your other characters, its unrealistic to think they would since the server frowns upon multiple accounts. And if you like a new character, maybe your other old character died from the fatal freak accident, or is comatose for however long until you come up with anew flow and feel for that character. Trying too hard to control the outcomes of your character is bad RP, being able to adapt them in a fun, interesting way is what makes your characters alive.

2. Raideck

Raideck Member

You can say what you will but I will state my final opinion on the subject. Having wild animals creates too much lag and ooc annoyance and this can be said by many others. I give it a no.

3. Galimas

Galimas New Member

One planet with hostile animals, would cause server wide lag, I call shenanigans.

4. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

Some reasons why RP and mobs dont mix.
    1) Getting typekilled is so obnoxious you dont even know how frustrating it has been for me when Im typing a message and some bunny bites my head of. Not "challenging". Just really annoying.

2) You cannot roleplay with one, unless it is your pet in which case it will follow you around, which is cool. Otherwise, they either completely ignore you and walk right past you as you're typing "My character pets the docile plasma-spitting beast", or they attack on sight.

3) Nearly everyone uses creative mode mods on this server, and that's kinda encouraged due to the nature of our server. We spawn in weapons, customize them to our liking, and personally I always make my weapons have high damage ratings just in case for some reason I have to kill some obnoxious monster. There is almost no use of game mechanics on our server. We even have a separate canon from chucklefish's "lore".

If you want to get your mob-killing fix satisfied, you can kill all the mobs you want to in single player. If you want to kill mobs with friends, host a server or even join one that's more leaned toward the gameplay side.

5. Galimas

Galimas New Member

Thank you for your feedback, I do not wish to step on anyone's toes, i just want something besides "it's annoying" being the only reason. I'm am completely for the Table-top style RP, and as was said in a past post, an event can be setup with hostile animals or NPC's. Maybe for like hostile animals and such, a DM can be setup so that the player don't have full control over combat. Again, I don't want to force change, I only want to discuss and maybe suggest, if i offended anyone, then my sincerest apologize.

6. Raideck

Raideck Member

That's the thing, a DM wouldn't matter, you can't control a wild creature in game unless it's a pet and at that point it won't be hostile.

7. Galimas

Galimas New Member

No no, i meant if you were to RP them in, I'd prefer not to have control of my enemies.

8. Raideck

Raideck Member

So what you're saying is to just RP them and not have them there literally in game? Then that's fine if that's what you're saying.

9. Redwilt

Redwilt Washed up has been

Back in the day when New Chicago was around it wasnt a terribly big problem because the turrets on the rooftops kept most of them away, but on like Asani, there was nothing to stop them and a buttload of bird mobs just gathered outside / under the inn and it was generally just annoying on all ends.
    1) People would have to break immersion to shoot them
    2) They're visually distracting
    3) It made a bunch of noise to kill them.

So all in alll, mobs are useless. If you want to use mobs for RP, I believe you can use pet capture things in SP and use them in MP to bring the pet out and RP it as a hostile mob. Takes effort but y'know, gets the same effect you want.

10. Galimas

Galimas New Member

Yea but my biggest thing is that the player kinda had control of the combat, where is if you have someone take a neutral standpoint, then it becomes kinda like an actual any can happen RP fight. The story part of is perfect, i like how the RP dialogue goes, but combat shouldn't be fully in the players hands.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1442857125][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Again, thank you, all I want is a better explanation, if it's that bad, then I can accept that, and move on.