1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

I need help with some things

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CadeEsh, Sep 30, 2015.

1. CadeEsh

CadeEsh New Member

ok
    [DOUBLEPOST=1443749053][/DOUBLEPOST]I decided on Pheno Head xD
    [DOUBLEPOST=1443749961][/DOUBLEPOST]can novakid live forever? :p

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

nope

3. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Nah Novakid do live for a while though. I would say they are the longest living races out of all the races. As for the attention span. Novakid (to me) are more like an ADHD kid. If they are not stimulated or they get bored quick. As for their forgetfulness I think that was more of generations they forget to pass on to the next generation. It is not like 50 first dates where as soon as they sleep they lose what they did that day.

Praise Cazic-Thule

4. CadeEsh

CadeEsh New Member

Ok so, Might have an Idea for my character

Race: Novakid
    Name: Pheno Head
    Skills: Agile, Pistols
    Background:
    A way to describe Pheno is, average. There isn't much special about him besides how he thinks of himself. Pheno thinks very highly of himself and has a past of pretending to be a hero. Still young and energetic, he hopes that maybe his dreams of being a hero might come true. He has training with weaponry and is very agile, he has trained for a good portion of his life he's lived so far training and perfecting his aim. He has put a lot in to trying to be someone, now all he can do is travel the vastness of space in search of who he can be.
    Alignment: Lawful Good

Let me know if I can do anything to improve this.

5. Raideck

Raideck Member

I'm just gonna nit pick here... How did he train? For how long? By himself or was he taught?

6. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Also what other skills does Pheno have? Is he just a gunslinger?

7. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

How meta.

8. Arcullis

Arcullis New Member

Don't worry, Novbama, one of the Council's Novakid Advisers, plans on banning guns for all civilians in the Council Space.

9. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

Hmm, I wonder how well that will go down!
    I give them ten minutes until everybody begins a revolution.

10. Arcullis

Arcullis New Member

That's a generous amount of time. If that were to ever be rp'd out in a speech or something I guarantee it would take only a few seconds before the entire place caught fire. "How dare you try to take away the gun that I handcrafted myself when I was stranded on an island with just the clothes on my back! I used it to fight off waves of man-eating florans, Kluex worshiping scum, those weird glitch king guys you find in castles, and other meta things! REEEEEEE"

It was at this point everyone realized that they were all human mercenaries and went to the bar to rp out some intense standoffs.

11. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

And then everybody lynches the guy who tried to do that :p
    "Death to the guy who wants peace!"
    "Yeah, fuck that guy!"
    "B-But peace is a great thing to want..."
    "Shut up <insert generic name here>, nobody cares!"

12. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

Here's my input

Alignments are trash

13. CadeEsh

CadeEsh New Member

Race: Novakid
    Name: Pheno Head
    Skills: Agile, Pistols, Crafting, hunting(do novakid eat?)
    Background:
    A way to describe Pheno is, average. There isn't much special about him besides how he thinks of himself. Pheno thinks very highly of himself and has a past of pretending to be a hero. Still young and energetic, he hopes that maybe his dreams of being a hero might come true. He has training with weaponry and is very agile, he has trained for a good portion of his life he's lived so far training and perfecting his aim.Though his training may not be great considering he trains himself, he is still rather good at crafting, he built his training equipment and repairs his equipment. Pheno has trained and lived by himself for about half his life, he has managed to keep himself healthy even tough he lives completely by himself and has to find his own food. Now Pheno leaves his current life to pursue his goals of being someone.

Probably still has multiple flaws, pick through this and see if you can find something to correct, thanks

14. The Grand Mugwump

If you make a loner you will be a loner, which is the least fun thing to roleplay. I do not recommend this direction you seem interested in at all unless you just want to watch how other people roleplay.

As a side note, being alone for over a decade is mentally traumatic and causes insanity in most people. Your character shouldn't be average after an experience like that. Even if it doesn't bother him, there are social norms, among other things, he just won't learn due to growing up alone.

Also, a list of questions for your character.
    1. Is dreaming of being a hero capable of putting moonshine on the table to keep his furnaces going (aka what does he do to avoid starving)?
    2. Where does he get his money or resources to maintain equipment?
    3. Where/how did he learn to craft equipment and firearms?
    4. How is he travelling through space and how did he acquire/gain access to this mode of transport?
    5. Why does he want to be a hero?
    6. What does he hope to accomplish as a hero?
    7. What drove him to be a loner and why does he want to remain a loner?
    8. Has being alone for half of his life had any psychological impact on him?
    9. What activities does Pheno do to train himself?

15. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

I'll be honest. Hero characters do not work on the server. Long ago, my second character that I've introduced to the server was named Rex McLore, a self-righteous space pirate. Now, I'll give you his backstory because he is very similar to what you've put down.

What happened with him was that he had symptoms of white-knighting. And white-knighting can be very very bad. It is basically where one does only the good action, the just action, and the action to save someone else. It can also lead to power-gaming, and meta-gaming. How? It can lead to power-gaming due to the fact that the "good" action will be the one that one would constantly try to push as the succeeding action. It can lead to meta-gaming due to the fact that one would be able to pin point the location of trouble when one shouldn't as well as knowing who is guilty, innocent, or suspicious when it should not even be a concern to the player.

The server community here is very specific. Very detailed. People won't stand by just "training". What did Pheno do for his training? How did he craft things? The reason the community is so specific is because a lot of people play specific characters to try and create a realistic atmosphere. Some people put a lot of time and effort into being scientists, doctors, or engineers. To have one character come in and be a great craftsman or gunner can really put a damper on people's moods. Imagine if you're a mechanic engineer and you've been building a robot for 3 months and have another month of IC RP left before release. Now imagine if someone just released it outright without explanation.

Antares RP and You: In-Depth Beginner's Guide | Starbound Roleplay

Use my guide. It details a bit on character creation. Vaguely. But it uses the story of one of my characters as reference. The guide also has sections for how to emote and how to roleplay in different situations.