1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

I drew my character!

Discussion in 'Art & Graphics' started by EyesofMarch, Mar 23, 2015.

1. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

[​IMG]

276 people like this.
  2. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

So, curious, I was told this wasn't an accurate depiction of Sarah/not realistic/too cartoony compared to my previous drawings. I'd like some critique on the style used here, as well as the shading up to this point, and some advice to make it more realistic. Just judge the top half, since I haven't added to it in the last four days or so. I plan on editing the eyes/nose and the shading of the face to make it more realistic.

3. CouchPotato360

CouchPotato360 Last Man Standing

I guess I'll throw down my two cents here. I feel like her face looks a little too masculine, and I cannot specifically pinpoint why that is. That in of itself isn't necessarily a problem either, it just kind of contrasts some of her old depictions.

4. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

[​IMG]

I have taken what little critique there was, and have almost completely redrawn that shit. BEHOLD! IT'S BETTER! Still working on the hair, lips, face-shading, etc.

184 people like this.
  5. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

I'd insert a picture of a dank "nice" meme here, but I'm too impressed to be sarcastic. Thus, I simply applaud you from the bowels of my mancave. Nice job, Eyes, now please finish it. =w=

6. NovaZenk

NovaZenk New Member

nice

7. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

[​IMG]

I'M ACTUALLY GOING TO FINISH THIS ONE!

No, but this is OFFICIALLY going to be what Sarah looks like, and I'll be fucking doooone with it lol.

2 people like this.
  8. Diehardpatriot

Diehardpatriot New Member

does that mean no more drawings?

9. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

NO! But I'll probably stop drawing Sarah for a long while lol.

10. CouchPotato360

CouchPotato360 Last Man Standing

IS GUD. I'd say the problems have been fixed, ya' done good.

11. Node

Node Literal Edgelord

I'm gonna attack one of your older pieces

[​IMG]

Basically there wasn't really a hell of a lot to redline. You need to keep an eye on basic proportions. The body can be divided into head lengths.

[​IMG]

Loomis will draw and explain much better than I. The human body can be divided into head lengths. This changes when you draw a character foreshortened in perspective obviously (Although mathematically predictably), however you just drew Sarah straight on, so it totally applies in its purest form.

So keep an eye on general proportions (As well as facial ones. You have a tendency to draw huge eyes, with the closer eye being significantly larger for instance). Anatomy is hard in general so for now just try to focus on the scale of everything. Eventually you'll start to learn the little bits and pieces, which will help you get nicer results (For instance you gave her a monster trapezius).

I've said it before and I'll say it again as well. USE REFERENCE. Any and every decent artist will tell you this. Don't know how the size of the body. Google that shit. What's the size of a ribcage. Google that shit too. Fuck, what's this hair supposed to look like, and how should I simplify it? Google. Bing. Yahoo. Doesn't matter what search engine you use, go get reference. The goal isn't to copy reference, but observe it and try to better your understanding instead of guessing from your head.

Anyway, I think that should be your homework. Just try to draw a body straight on with proper proportions.

Also, enjoy your quadruple amputee Sarah. You brought this on her yourself. Draw her limbs next time.

You're welcome

12. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

FFFFFFF- Thanks Node lol. I REALLY suck at drawing the human body, and I've slowly been getting better at drawing the human face, as you've seen with my most recent drawing. I'll get there soon!

Edit: I think the main issue is that I wasn't trying to draw Sarah slender or feminine. She's much more of a muscular, heavier woman, so I was trying to implement that.

13. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

[​IMG]

Still WIP but inching closer and closer!

2 people like this.
  14. Node

Node Literal Edgelord

Drawing the human body is a complicated process involving your ability to actually draw and your knowledge on the human body, proportions, and foreshortening. So don't say you suck, but rather that you haven't put in the time to conquer the challenge.

As for the body type, I referenced generic lingerie models when drawing her. However if she is bulkier I might reference someone with a little bit more heft. Perhaps someone prolific like Ronda Rousey since there is more than enough reference of her. I have a few other names popping into my head for built women, but I encourage you to start building your own library of reference. Especially considering you have been improving and I'd like to see your continued improvements.

As for your current colour palette for Sarah, google "Skin colour Palettes". You have a very unhealthy grungy palette right now.

15. NovaZenk

NovaZenk New Member

The drawing is pretty good. Although I agree with what Node said, you should make the color a bit more healthy looking. Unless she's sick right now.

16. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

I'm gonna do a bit more editing on it today. I'll give a healthier shade a shot, and I'm also going to make her face more slender and edgy, as it's not entirely correct for it's angle.

17. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

[​IMG]

AGH! I swear to God I'm gonna finish this one, as it's coming out really well. I've been looking at videos about proportions and shit, so Node you better back off before I gotta smack a fool! JK jk.

But yeah, this one is looking really good. I've gotta fix the arms, her breasts and generally touch up, but it's on its way.

18. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

[​IMG]

I am most, most happy with this one. This is, officially, the one and only Sarah McKinley. After a whole goddamn year of drawing, I finally drew one that I found suiting for her actual look. Boom. Bang. Bada-bing.

It's not entirely done yet, but it's getting there!

4 people like this.
  19. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

ey gurl ;)

I like her hair.

20. Aiko

Aiko The Coolest Cat

Node's cheating, he's a professional