1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Hylotls and Fish species. Good, Bad, or just downright terrible?

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by Fiery Wither Rose, Jun 8, 2015.

1. NovaZenk

NovaZenk New Member

those look like gills on it's side

2. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

It's almost ridiculous to propose they're ribcage markings. If they were why don't any other races have them?

Furthermore, if Chucklefish artists wanted the hylotl to have gills, would they not look as they do in the picture?

3. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Not enough pixels for that detail

4. Yotan

Yotan New Member

I hate to point out that according to the Hylotl Euphotic Armor, Hyltol young are reared in shallow waters before being taken down into the deeper waters to join the rest of their peoples. It is possible that those "gills" are vestigial (degenerate, rudimentary, or atrophied, having become functionless in the course of evolution.). In this case the evolution was the young growing up to an adult, must like tadpoles to adults amphibians. Sure commonly frogs/toads go through metamorphosis, however this is not to say that Hylotl don't do the same and thus those gills on an adult Hylotl are vestigial and a simple reminder of childhood.

Also what is the use of wearing cloths and armor if they cover up the gills? It would get in the way of breathing.

Just saying.

#24 Yotan, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2015
  5. SP3CTR3

SP3CTR3 Flipping Tables at ignorance!

It was only a proposal. Anyway, I've never seen any other species drawn like the Hyotl's physical perfection, they are obviously stronger than other races[j/k]. ^_^

Yotan makes great points though.

6. Solour

Solour a dad

they still have a respitory system. Gills make it easier to filter air from water.

7. Yotan

Yotan New Member

I am fully aware they have a respiratory system and I also know what gills do.

8. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

Most of this is gonna be headcanon guys. I say we agree to disagree on some of these things that can't really be proven, thanks to Chucklefish's negligence of the BEST RACE EVER TO COME TO STARBOUND AMEN HALELUJAH PRAISE PASCIFISH

9. Solour

Solour a dad

OORAH