1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Guide to Economy

Discussion in 'Roleplay Guides' started by Avis, May 4, 2015.

1. Wreth

Wreth New Member

FTL jumps take fuel, which requires extracting fuel from mining. Mining requires materials and energy itself.

2. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

an FTL jump would take an impossibly large amount of energy, to the point where the mining operations look like childs toys in comparison. Assuming we're dailing the FTL power consumption back a bit for the sake of RP, it's still a ridiculously large amount, which still means power is abundant. The only exception to this is if we're saying Erchius is some kind of magic starship fuel and can be used to power FTL jumps and only FTL jumps in an extremely efficient way. But I prefer the more realistic approach, personally.

3. Havel

Havel New Member

Hey, why did this thread die? I find it extremely interesting, as a student of economics myself. Well, about this energy topic. I know almost nothing about electrical engineering, but what if the mechanism which powers the FTL travel just isn't compatible with electricity? Maybe there aren't any converters from Erchius to Electricity because it's just too much energy, and you'd have to go to lowermost levels of Erchius so that you won't burn your converter, and maybe to create this converter it's just not worth it. I may be saying stupidities, but these could explain the "magic" reason why Erchius only powers Spaceships.

Looking further on the subject, why don't we compare this FTL travel to the Warp Drives on Star Trek? I will link the page on the end of this post, but it goes like this: "...warp engines were fueled by the reaction of matter(deuterium) and antimatter (antideuterium)" and "This reaction produced a highly energetic plasma, called electro-plasma or warp plasma, which was channeled by plasma conduits through the electro-plasma system (EPS)." Well, I don't know about you, but it seems an absurd to produce daily used energy in the houses of people or even factories with a reaction between matter and antimatter. Why? Because, from my reading on this Star Trek thread, they don't take the reaction and transform the energy from it to electricity. Instead, they just channel this destructive energy. Source: Warp drive

I hope to get any answer, I really want to discuss these matters.

4. Azeliblehblehbleh

Azeliblehblehbleh New Member

Additionally, though we have a clear example of a decent character starting amount (5,000p) there's really not much elaboration on other types of characters and what they might start with. Is 5000 just the baseline? Could there be something like a guideline (if you come from x -/+ y pixels, if you had a supportive family + x pixels) that is generally approved to be an accepted rough estimate, so that people don't accidentally powergame starting money when trying to figure out acceptable starting finances for a character?

5. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

Are.. Are people still reading my stuff?

3 people like this.
  6. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

Right. Back to nonexistence, then.

7. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

nooooooo