1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Guide to Economy

Discussion in 'Roleplay Guides' started by Avis, May 4, 2015.

1. Raideck

Raideck Member

I know the pirates stealing them for the Grounded part. (I do it with Raideck) Now, I understand the basic idea of the other race's tech. However, I do have some issues.. not race wise more material wise. For example, irl copper is expensive , but copper in the game is really easy to find. I don't understand what the highest tier of metal we are allowed to get (besides Impervium) because people have different views on it.

2. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Well don't forget the metal tiers in the vanilla game are purely based around the uses of the metals to make weaponry and armour, but in real life metals have far more uses than hat. Copper is used for wiring. Gold has uses as jewellery and in electronics. Silver is used for jewelery too, and also for medical instruments because of its antimicrobial properties.

If you look up the uses of a type of metal online you will find the list of uses are vast.

In RP we need resources for way more things than we do in the base game.

And just because a material is not included as an item in the game doesn't mean we can't IC mine it.

3. Kiva

Kiva New Member

To Me this guide Seems like it is More Suited for a Survival RP where Resources are Very Limited.

But a RP where there are Spaceships and people Travel betwen planet very easy it Does not make Sense I feel. it should be like Real world business where much of the "sundries" is Delegated or outsourced and only the Big things matter like the Business Model and Growth Strategies. I think it is Silly to see company write down every Drink they sell when really company CEO would not CARE! Only care about profit / loss/ revenue each reporting period!!

Thank You for reading.

4. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Yeah maybe on Avos, but this is the frontier. The population of Antares is not big enough for any of that stuff. Pretty much every business in Antares is small enough that the business owner gets directly involved with whatever work they do.

5. Kiva

Kiva New Member

Even in Small Businesses like a Bakery or a Milk store they do not care for little detail. That is what cashier machine and Other useful Accounting Machines are for. They do all the Little Counting so business owner can Look at the big picture and make Strategic Decisions to put it in simple words. If some items are Stolen or go Missing then its not worth the time (time = $$$!) to track them down so they do not track every individual item Computer does that. No Business in the world have accounting sheet like ones I see on RP server here (except cookie scouts! :p :p)

Thank You

6. Rezima

Rezima New Member

He does have a point, it is more about daily/weekly/monthly revenue than anything else, you don't want to get bogged down in the minutia of it. You simply don't want to make your daily/weekly/monthly revenue exorbitantly high, everything in moderation and preferably based on actual or believable sales.

Most all traditional Avian technology is completely crystal based, you would find literally nothing electrical on Avos,

7. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

The guide is meant for gathering resources. Just because there are plenty of them, doesn't mean you don't have to do it anymore. The ocean's full of fish, so does that mean that if you open a fish market you'll just magically have a bunch of fish in stock? No. You have to buy a boat (Or hire one), actually catch fish, and spend money on whatever means you use to prepare them, be it simply ice, or filleting them yourself.

This guide is meant to pull people away from magically having infinite resources. Money is just as susceptible to power gaming as immeasurable brute strength or a character having an IQ of 300.

Regarding Florans, yeah. A large part of this guide wouldn't really apply to tribal Florans. I believe I even said that they would be mostly self-sufficient at one point, since they don't have to worry about much, but some of this does still apply, especially if you're not playing a savage floran; then most of this still applies to you.

8. Kiva

Kiva New Member

you are Contradicting yourself! :D :D
    So you have to collect Resources like Fish?
    where does the Boat come from? Someone must Build it? What about the Boat Motor and Boat Hull? And all the Components that Go Inside these things?

The Answer: You Buy it!
    Just like same answer with Fish: You Buy It!
    That is how Real World economy works! We do not have Business that does everything by itself,, It is even MORE expensive most of Time to do it yourself Let someone Else do it for you!

Thank You for reading.

9. Wreth

Wreth New Member

The point is loads of people have somehow been magically acquiring things when there is nobody selling these things.

You can't buy a boat and boat parts if nobody is selling these things

If nobody is selling that thing you want. Then guess what! You can't get it. Or you'd have to find some engineers/carpenters, etc to commission into building one. But that engineer better have a genuine source for their metals, bought from a mining company or something.

So much technology and material seems to come out of thin air on this server. Unless you are building purely from wood and stone, you should list all your sources of materials.

10. Raideck

Raideck Member

Also the cash or "pixels" have to have some actual worth to them. For example, us dollars nowadays have no actual worth behind them as the government just says they're worth something. However, Antares as with most of space doesn't have a government over it all and yet we have the same currency system. I know it's really hard to gauge as it's just a game but I still find it important.

11. Wreth

Wreth New Member

The lore reason is that they are used for 3D printing, but i'm not sure that works for RP

12. Avis

I never contradicted myself there, and I never said you couldn't buy it. In fact, I believe I stated somewhere in there that you could even pay for someone else to fish for you. However, even if you buy these things, they have to come from somewhere. Things don't just magically appear for your purchase. Someone has to make them.

It's nothing but an ideal and personal opinion of mine, but I think it would be really cool if colonies had their own currency. I seem to remember Asani having crystals for currency, and something like that would be pretty cool. Pixels are inherently flawed because you can get an infinite amount of them easily, and everyone has oodles. Unfortunately, just about any currency item you could come up with would be susceptible to the same thing.

13. Raideck

Raideck Member

The problem with having your own currency can be split into two problems. 1. The exchange rate to universal worth. 2. People can just get oodles of it like you stated.

14. Avis

Yeah, unfortunately it's just got too many flaws :c

15. Raideck

Raideck Member

I've been hearing one stereotype that floats around. The player of "Angsty solo mercenary" is upset they can't afford their giant mega weapons like a faction can. Any response to that, Avis?

16. Avis

Well, this is the frontier, so aside from separate colony laws, there are no real limitations on what you can have, other than what is set by outside influence (staff, etc.). The big thing is that stuff like rocket lanchers and Gatling guns would be expensive, you're right. If you manage to find an arms dealer who makes one, and isn't clearly pulling money out of the cold vacuum of space, then "Angsty Solo Merc" should feel free to buy one, but he should be prepared for the expense and utter uselessness of the weapon. Keep in mind the constant expense you have to have with things like a rocket launcher. An RPG rocket costs about $200 USD right now. Would you want to spend two hundred dollars every time you got in a fight, simply because you decided a bulky weapon meant for vehicles would a good idea?I ope not ._.

17. Raideck

Raideck Member

Speaking of buying things, I know prices are determined by the seller because the market is really nonexistent. However, I feel as though a lot of people are not sure what something is worth oocly and icly. Any advice?

18. Wreth

Wreth New Member

I'd go with what things cost IRL. I mean sure it is the future, but most things have real world equivalents to get an idea of price from.

19. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Then perhaps all of the taxes that would normally be present in creating such a product would be removed? So there is only the production cost and the profit margin.

Because there is no sector-wide goverment to collect taxes. Only if the company operates from an colony, but that is something between the colony and the business.

20. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

Except for energy, which is clearly abundant due to being able to do FTL jumps and such. That'd effect loads of stuff, really, like the cost of powering your house would be negligible, and the cost of running a facility or building or factory wouldn't really come into play at any point as being a big deal, therefore the amount of power you'd be able to output into manufacturing goods wouldn't be a problem and you'd be able to make shitloads of stuff.

Thought I'm in agreement with almost everything else costing the same. Example: You'd be producing more food, sure, but there's more people to feed and you have to pay to ship it across space now, so it'd average out and cost around the same as it does now.