1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Graw Tries

Discussion in 'Art & Graphics' started by thatmcgraw, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Shag

Shag High Impact Sexual Implications

Love your art, bet it would would be even better if you added shade to it! :3

2. thatmcgraw

thatmcgraw New Member

Hey, thanks! I'll start shading and doing more freeform stuff if I can get my hands on a tablet. At the moment, I use a trackpad (albeit a pretty nice one) to create all of this stuff, editing the ends of paths as necessary. I might be able to do more traditional drawing with a better art implement, too.

3. Shag

Wacom tablets are pretty neat, and the Intuos series is pretty cheap! You should totally get one of those!

4. thatmcgraw

thatmcgraw New Member

Graw Got a Tablet
    I decided to cash in and get one christmas present, a Wacom drawing tablet as @Shagmeister and the internet highly recommended. These next two posts are from my first night with the thing, the first being some cartoony/line drawing bits, and the second some more freeform sketching, the like of which I haven't done in years. Getting used to the 1x1 nature of a tablet was and remains a major hurdle for me, and my hand hurts because I did this stuff for way too long while trying to adjust myself to a new timezone. If stuff looks funky, I probably know it and couldn't be bothered to fix it—drawing things that are alive has never been my strong suit. Still, feel free to leave comments, suggestions, or requests as usual.

These are in no particular order. Well, the first one's first, but after that I sort of jumble them up for no reason.

First Sketch, Guy.png
    [​IMG]
    This sideways-looking guy was the first thing I drew with the tablet. He's not particularly starbound related. Well I guess he could be, since humans are around 50% of the server population.

Some Creepy Bird
    [​IMG]
    The topics in skype chats can change a mile a minute. I'm not sure how we got to discussing low quality erotic roleplay, but I know that this creepy bastard accurately summed up the situation. I drew this pretty early in the night, but it's still one of my favorites from the session.

Flashed by a Fish
    [​IMG]
    This magnificent specimen of amphibian prowess arose from the same discussion. Vascular indeed.

Floran Isss Learnss
    [​IMG]
    Some floran are educated. Hell, maybe a few managed to fight down their lisp. But some don't have time for the finer things in space. Unless the finer things include munching on literature.

Barrett Likes Booties
    [​IMG]
    The rugged man known as Barrett Kingsly hits on just about anything female, bluntly addressing booties through husky vocalizations or letting his wandering eyes explain his wanton desires.

A Dying Breed

[​IMG]
    Recently there has been a large lack of apex enthusiasts. The unfortunate soul depicted here is in the midst of finding out where the rest of his kin have gone.

Space-Cocaine

[​IMG]
    RECENTLY THERE HAS BEEN QUITE A BIT OF DRUG RP ON THE SERVER, FROM SHROOMS AND SPACE-WEED TO HARDCORE STUFF LIKE BLISS. BUT I PREFER THE OLD STAPLE, AND SO DOES THIS FINE BEAKED FELLOW HERE.

Experiments, Math, Monkeys

[​IMG]
    I drew some nerdy teeth so I decided to make a nerdy Miniknog dork who does science and stuff.

Dancing Fairy Villain

[​IMG]
    A new threat is coming to Antares. Beyond anything before seen. The Blackleaf florans pale in comparison to the majesty of tutu guy. The Outcasts were the result of nothing but a failed imitation of the heinous ideals of this man. I'm not exactly sure, erm, what he's commanding towards his victims, but Kluex knows it's utterly terrifying.

True Terror Tactics

[​IMG]
    Unlike the menacing, malevolent man in the previous post's picture, Lord Darkstorm III knows exactly how to take down the frontier. Will his evil ploy succeed? Will he manipulate his way to monopoly? Only time will tell.

Dedicated, Pious, Rotund
    [​IMG]
    PRAISE KLUEX. Dang, that bird looks plucking pissed.

The Starsailer

[​IMG]
    I decided to draw a ship for two minutes, and just kept adding on fins and stuff until it became this. I might do more sketches of vehicles as time goes on, because it's interesting and fun, and because it's way the hell easier than drawing people.

#24 thatmcgraw, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
  5. Redwilt

Redwilt Washed up has been

Barrett's face 10/10 love it.

6. thatmcgraw

thatmcgraw New Member

Spelunking
    [​IMG]
    I drew a glitch in what became a cave as my first attempt at freeform sketching. As I clarified before when I started this thread, I have no idea what I'm doing.

A Clear Day and the Clash of Blades
    [​IMG]
    This glitch is out and about in the Valley of Gornamore, facing down the legendary Pelenthist of Westfear Rock—unfortunately, he is not the mythic Karabad of Somataan, and cannot incant from the Krotam Bene'thiir as would go on to happen at the pivotal battle of nearby Guradom.

Who You Callin' Gasbag?
    [​IMG]
    I can't wait to see how people roleplay novakids. I'm going to make mine a lesbian, lone-wolf desperado who beams down to a colony, and, being made of plasma, immediately melts straight through to the planet's core where she explodes and causes a supernova that culminates in the destruction of the entire sector.

Hylotl Robocop
    [​IMG]
    The criminals cowered in fear as the sleek, towering form of the ASEC Lieutenant trudged past. Juubei gleamed in the flickering lantern-light, and looked out on the dark colony below as rain pattered against his metal chest. Yep, this is a picture of Juubei, based on his armor sprite provided by @Tazerok. Armor is hard, dang.

Apex Engineer
    [​IMG]
    I'm not sure what to name this guy, but I can assure you that he's going back to his duties even while overworked and exhausted. This was my first attempt at monkey-snoutage, and I must say I rather like this style of nose-parts, even if it's a bit far from how Apex are supposed to look. If you have a good name for this fellow, leave it below!

Servo Cowboy
    [​IMG]
    This hat took a long time to figure out. The whole front-facing thing in general was quite difficult to wrap my pen around (haha). I like how the picture came out though. It's based on the cowboy garb sprite provided to me by @Arcticil. I'm not sure where this scene is taking place, but Arcturus looks happy enough to see whoever it is he's seeing.

Thanks for checking out these two posts of stuff I drew last night. There was some other stuff, but it was bad worse—shh.
    -graw

#26 thatmcgraw, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
  7. Kuromimi

Kuromimi New Member

I almost feel bad for all the malpractice I did on Arc while he was damaged... Naah

8. Arcticil

Arcticil Toxic Top Soldier

I love you, have my children. Thanks for letting me use it as an avatar, too!

9. Finestein Goodlad

Finestein Goodlad Wizard Mod

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Shag

Cool! looks like you had lotsa fun with it. Keep it up bro, es very gud.

11. thatmcgraw

thatmcgraw New Member

Darkest Dungeon Crossover
    [​IMG]

Some people in the community have gotten into a singleplayer game called Darkest Dungeon. One fellow—@Tallen—named a party member of his after my character Griss. I decided to repurpose the concept art of the game's Hellion class to properly reflect her role in this strange other universe.
    [​IMG]

Love at First Squawk
    [​IMG]
    I wanted to try a silhouette thing, and decided that @Felonious's Alo and @Tallen's Glauen made a cute couple that fits the bill.
    [​IMG]

An Old One: Some Dragon Thing
    [​IMG]
    This was made to illustrate a custom dragon-person race included via plugin on a Minecraft server I pretend to help manage. Backwards-knee leg things are hard.

An Old One: Profile Style
    [​IMG]
    I made this for Coco a whiiiiile ago, just forgot to upload it with the other stuff. It's a picture of @coconut_buttercup's Ximena and Someone's Azalea. Please don't notice that the robo arm is on the wrong side, thanks.

A New One: First Attempt at Shading
    [​IMG]
    After a few recommendations that I start to shade drawings with something other than squiggles, I started work on this guy with no clue as to what I was doing.

#31 thatmcgraw, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2015
  12. Shag

Dis is gud. And I envy you :I

13. Tallen

Tallen New Member

"Love at first squawk" - more like "mutual anger at first squawk that eventually developed into something like mutual respect, then concern and then finally mutual love with a lot of angry discussions every now and then".

It's so fucking adorable.

Obligatory TLA bonus clip: