1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Florans, Balance and Lore-supported in General.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Khaltor, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

A Greenguard's Journal 6
    p.1 I dream of oaken soldiers once more. Who is this army that sprawls before me? I feel a stiffening in my limbs as I wake. I think The Dust is getting to me. I require Drysap treatment once a week now, and even then it does little to ease my discomfort.

p.2 Today I killed a prisoner. I pushed him down the stairs on the way to dinner. The other guards cheered and hooted, but I felt no such pleasure. The thrill of the hunt is gone from me. I should set a torch to them and see how well they hunt then.
    A Greenguard's Journal 7
    p.1 Soon they will come for me, but who shall reach me first? My kin, with their spears and knives, baying for blood? Or the oaken soldiers, marching to reclaim me, to bring me back into their fold.

p.2 My superiors demand recompense. Recompense for what I've done. That terrible, unspeakable thing which breaks every Floran code, that which even in my distant state, I cannot bring myself to mention. Who will find me first?

Do you mean these?

2. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Intelligence= your mental capacities. Knowledge = what you know. Wisdom: being smart with the knowledge given to you.

3. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE Notorious B.A.D.

Considering how much of other race lore is ignored for the sake of RP balance, I don't see how it's right to just leave out no part of Floran lore in trying to prove that they are the hyper uber badasses of SB.

4. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

A tribe of barely litterate, spoken Florans being able to reverse engineer future tech, it's a god damn special talent and it is portrayed as such in the lore.

5. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

wow it's like we read the same posts

6. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

That's because that is their identity. Combat is their thing. Other races have the big ape 18984 and advanced science in the Miniknog, a highstanding culture with a vegetarian pacifist people that send missionaries because they think their culture is superior, a race of bird people who have been genetically manipulated in the past by an advanced race and worship a "dead"(quotation needed) god, humans who can be pretty much whatever they want and Glitch, the medieval robots that are able to interface with computer systems and have a computer-like mind + medieval styled, but still modern and efficient, armour sets.

7. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

Trying to actually get people to treat florans different in combat because of the official lore just won't work, though. Glitch being robits, Avians being religious, Hylotls being pacifists, Apex being oppressed science people, etc. can be roleplayed out without having to depend on other players. The problem comes when you try to force the lore that florans are uber-badasses in combat on other people. They will inevitably disregard what you say at that point. People you RP combat with couldn't care less about the floran's backstory, and people who have an "average" member of a race that would lose to a Floran according to the lore, such as Hylotl or Apex, would not have their shit pushed in just because it's a Floran.

8. Leschinsky

Leschinsky Bohemic Tendencies

A Floran Introduction
    Floran forget. At night, Floran dream of oaken sssoldiers, of ssslimy demons, burning hot fire. In dry grass, beneath crashing waves, memories hazy. Do Floran forget, or remember?

Floran do know hunt. Kill or be killed. Fight, sssurvive, destroy. Floran not remember much. Greenfinger help. But Floran know one thing. Ssstab ssstab ssstab.

A Floran's Goal
    Ssstab. Ssstab, sssmash, hunt. Find glory, make good Floran. Ssstab. Get best kill. Win all of Florans. Sssow ssseeds of discord. Punch all of the prey.

Making friends would be nice too.

Highlighted relevant bits;
    Florans have known to stab for a very, very, long time. It's engrained in them since their race first uprooted itself.

It seems we are at a cusp of a new dawn for Floran relations; there are a select few divvying off from the tribe to see the rest of the Universe, hunt bigger and better prey, and attain honor on the field.
    And possibly make friends.

9. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

I do not have the authority to decree what is balanced and what isn't, it's a discussion, and i just stated my opionon, i said i didn't mind it if you remove the regeneration ability, but because of the nature of the server currently (the fact that every combattant thinks he's a mix between batman and hawkeye and captain america) would make the warrior culture of the Florans completely redundant.

In the end it's always the community that decides, if we can come to some kinda agreement as to what is server canon for these races, Florans and Glitch in particular, then I'd gladly obey to whatever outcome.

Once again i'm stressing that i stated my opinion and that i am a flawed human being as well. A concrete set of rules concerning the server canon on the races, and a detailed guideline as to how long recovery of wounds takes, and cybernetics would help a lot.

10. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

Intelligence = Knowledge
    Wisdom = Experience

In the simplest terms.

You can have knowledge without experience, as well as experience without knowledge. (However, its more likely to pick up knowledge along the way)

11. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

If Florans are to be a warrior race, I wouldn't mind seeing a few more warriors and a far fewer artists, artisans and scientists.

12. Leschinsky

Leschinsky Bohemic Tendencies

I can't say jack for wisdom, but I know intelligence, and how understated it's complexity is.
    Thankfully for you and me, someone created a handy image to explain all of it fairly well.
    http://imgur.com/gallery/EsN5W
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bonus Stage; Think of what areas your character/s/ fall under.

#32 Leschinsky, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
  13. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

I have to agree with the logic. Technically speaking a wiseman "could" potentially be the Floran equivalent of a scientist, but how Oak started as a concept and how he behaves in general is more human than Floran. I've already said that i myself was guilty of making a "too human" Floran...

14. Spinach Pirate

Spinach Pirate The Adorable Spinach

Flora is so weak and cutesy and not-bitey due to people messing with her genes and accidentally making the absolute least floran-like floran of all, or, if that back story is not acceptable, she has brain damage.

15. Fenris Fenrir

Fenris Fenrir New Member

2 things Felonius. One, you didn't anger me either. And two... The balance is a bit strange I admit. For example, my character of Fenris. She is much more civilized than most florans (talking galaxy wide here, not PC) and yeah shes a good bit stronger than most normal people. But she /isn't/ as strong as the more warrior based Florans out there. Its a give and take, Fenris is more intelligent, but at the same time she also doesn't have as much strength. The regeneration thing isnt /that/ bad, so long as it still takes at least a couple days for it to occur for normal wounds, along with some kind of requirement such as a sap pool and sunlight.

16. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

I always liked Fenris in that she had to make a conscious effort to be civilized, and even then was still prone to bursting out in fits of violence from time to time. (Not sure how much is changed, I've been a recluse of late). I won't repeat my issues with regeneration, because I'm starting to get broken tape vibes from myself (and I must be off to class anyway.)

17. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

Can we stop making these threads, and let others RP the way they want to?

If someone's RP style angers you to the point you need to grab your internet pitchforks and make 2 of these threads, just avoid them.

18. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

As my D&D Uncle always said...
    Intelligence: Look at the lightning clouds, see how the thunder comes after the light?
    Wisdom: Get off the damn mountain, you're going to be hit by lightning!

19. Spinach Pirate

Spinach Pirate The Adorable Spinach

well, if everyone RP's differently, then its kinda hard to RP together, so we need to come up with a list of all the things they can and cant do, and we cant just avoid everyone who thinks differently, because if there is no common agreement, NOONE will think the same about things

20. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

Then at this point it falls upon Kaz and the mods to provide some kind of official ruling on these things.
    Otherwise...

[​IMG]