1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Floran regeneration(it has to do with florans so come check it out)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinach Pirate, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

Considering Florans are plant people with eyes, nostrils, mouths, stomach, lungs.

I'm fairly certain they're litterally just perfectly humanoid plants, with almost nothing different physically beyond the face.

2. Spinach Pirate

Spinach Pirate The Adorable Spinach

yeah, thats what i was thinking, them being basicly just humans made of plant cells

3. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

It was administered by Storm to Lance (of the Wolves). Date, can't remember. And there certainly was. There's always been a lot of controversy in that area (at least in my circles.
    Flora has the right idea. Do you know how slowly sap would transfer nutrients and carbon dioxide through their bloodstream? They'd be slow, lethargic creatures. Not to mention such a slow flow would cause dangerous clotting issues if they WERE as active as they are.

What all these issues come down to? Poor research. And fantasy. Lots of fantasy. Loads of fantasy. Heaps of fantasy grown from the fantasy plant, distilled into pure, alcoholic fantasy, cooked down to fantasy sauce and drizzled over a nice rich helping of fantasy ham.

Which is why I said "Could they regenerate? Yes." Because fantastically, yes they could. However the question again at this point is: Should they regenerate? Edit: Time and time again, the community at large has abused it.

And so, att this moment, my opinion remains no.

I agree. And again, I'd fight against cybernetics just as much, to have them toned down. Restricted. Less abused. We have a few famous frankensteins that play off their cybernetics as making them near demi-gods. They should be more expensive, take longer to adjust to, and should be less functional than they are organically, or perhaps as functional as normal, however not all military grade. Because everyone has military grade, turning them into the Swiss army knives, etc. etc. etc. But again, this thread is "Floran Regeneration". And I refuse to derail the argument. We take problems one at a time.

As for the argument of whether they could or couldn't use cybernetics, I'm sure there are ways to outfit them with prosthetic limbs. Chemical to electrical conversions (which happen inside the body of an animal all the time). While a FLORAN might not invent it, we have so many Floran sympathetics about that it wouldn't be hard to find some mad scientist to invent one in a day.

4. Wreth

Wreth New Member

I vote for florans not being able to uniquely regenerate. There's nothing in the lore stating anything about florans being able to regen

That said scientists are right now trying develop ways of having humans regenerate.
    What needs to be discussed IMO is whether anyone can gain back a limb after medical care.

5. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

Regrow limbs in time longer than one hour.

6. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

7. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

8. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Um, human nerves work via both chemical and electrical. Even the electrical part is based on electrically charged chemicals, not pure electron flow like in metal wires.

It's electrically charged chemical particles creating a potential gradient in a neuron, which then triggers more chemicals to transfer information between two neurons.

9. Sammy McHammyDoodle

Sammy McHammyDoodle New Member

It scares me so much how smart everyone is here.

10. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

Yeah sure science and stuff that I don't actually get, but that's the point. It doesn't take a genius to realize a complicated piece of mechanical equipment designed for use with humans and/or "animals" in general (and requires painfully specific surgery to install) is not going to be compatible with a plant.

It's definitely possible that someone somewhere could develop a floran compatible cybernetic system. However:
    - Florans can't. They're stupid as shit and can only reverse engineer stolen tech.
    - Everyone else hates florans
    - No one sane in the starbound universe is going to devote years and years of their life to study complex surgical procedures on florans.
    - No one sane in the starbound universe is going to do the above AND have masterful mechanical skills.
    - You need both to install a cybernetic

No one studies complicated medical practices for use on mosquitoes because we want all the mosquitoes dead. Same thing with florans.

11. GuardianPotato

GuardianPotato New Member

Not everyone wants all florans dead, for one. And true it will take time to make cybernetics for florans, but that doesn't mean it's impossible, or not going to happen. (That makes half sense to me.)

12. Wreth

Wreth New Member

True, but the thing in florans can't be just plants.

Purely plant biology simply does not work for florans. It's biologically impossible for florans to as active as they are and all their biology to be the same as plants. They need a brain, they need muscles, they need organs, and honestly they need nerves like animals do.

There is evidence for this I believe in the lore.

In the lore codex ''Notes on Floran Biology'' it says ''Due to a reliance on natural water sources thanks to the Floran's [REDACTED] roots...''

Why does it say [REDACTED] instead of just ''plant''?

Probably because florans aren't just plants.

13. Spinach Pirate

Spinach Pirate The Adorable Spinach

MAYBE THEY ARE INSECT-PLANT HYBRIDS!!

14. GuardianPotato

GuardianPotato New Member

Assumptioning...... Weeeee.

Dammit chuckle fish, look at what you did by not clarifying things!

15. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

That's because our servers floran population isn't made up of florans, its made up of teddy bears. "I'm not like my kind guis I swear"

Yes, in reality a floran could never exist. (At least not one composed 100% of plant matter)
    But the starbound world is a little wonky. We're about to meet novakids, which are nearly as magical as you can get.

16. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

ITS A GAAAAAME

17. Wreth

Wreth New Member

They did always look like praying mantises to me

18. Mitzi the Floran

Mitzi the Floran Sufferer of Prawnsequences

I'm in agreement with Felonious here, but Oak raises an important point as well. I believe a rigid structure table of individual injuries and the amount of time it takes to regenerate each, as well as a topic to keep track of regeneration to make sure that it isn't abused should be established. (The bottom chart as an example was initially provided by Oak, but I feel it was too lenient for a race that already eclipses every other races physical strength, as such I've modified the times for each regeneration)
    • Finger injuries; 1 day per finger dismembered
    • Hand injuries; Minimum 5 days to 7 days regeneration time
    • An arm, or a Leg; 1.5 Weeks (10 days) Regeneration time, during which the Floran is more vulnerable while they're regenerating.
    • Multiple limbs, +1 week per additional limb, 50% chance for one or more of the limbs to stunt during regrowth due to stress related factors, or insufficient energy for cellular division.
    • Vital Organs, 2 weeks minimum, requires intense bedrest and minor movement while the cells knit themselves back together, anything more than minor movement or ingestion will inhibit the organs growth. (For example: A floran who takes liver or kidney damage that fails regenerating those limbs will likely shift hue because their body can no longer purify their blood with great efficiency, A floran with lung damage that fails regeneration will have trouble breathing.)
    • Decapitation, getting cut in half, shot in the head, severe brain damage, eating a shotgun blast to the chest - No chance of regeneration, likely instant death.
    Keep in mind that while regenerating a Floran cannot (or should not) undertake any activity which is considered strenuous by any means, as it will affect their cellular regeneration during the phase. This phase consists of stockpiling and storing energy, doing lots of eating, and letting natural regeneration do its work. Any strenuous activity during this phase will cause the limbs to grow back improperly.

As far as what I mean by a topic that keeps track of Florans and whether or not they're keeping to their regeneration title, lets say Jimmy the Floran gets into a tiff with a glitch knight and gets maimed via a diagonal cut that takes one of their arms and one of their legs, and manages to survive the grievous wounds via stabilizing via drysap infusion because he's a chieftain or something of that nature, even though its ssstrictly forbidden. Jimmy would post on the regeneration thread that he has two limbs, one arm and one leg, the date that the divestment of his limbs occured, For our example we'll say 2/13/2015, and the time it will take to regenerate one, and two limbs.
    • Jimmy the Floran, Arm and Leg cut off 2/13/2015, Regeneration of one limb 2/23/2015, Both limbs 3/2/2015. 50% chance for one of the limbs to grow back stunted.
    In this instance, Jimmy would have to live with his Floran getting divided from his limbs for the amount of time, and is vulnerable to attack, would have to eat or focus on restoring energy for his regeneration, would not be able to engage in any strenuous activity for fear of his limbs not growing back properly.

19. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Or we could just have no regeneration because nothing in the lore mentions it.