1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Floran regeneration(it has to do with florans so come check it out)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinach Pirate, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

Honestly, if floran regeneration is prohibited, we'll begin to see cyber florans around, so... it won't really solve the issue. Apart having to find someone to install the cyber extension (In fact, there's been already at least one case of floran cyber limb. Still luv yu < 3).

2. skipi

skipi New Member

oh dont worry im totally going to attack cybernetics next

3. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

Regeneration and cybernetics were already attacked. Anyone remembers those old Community opinion threads?

4. John_McFakename

John_McFakename New Member

If only DarkStar company existed anymore...

5. Sammy McHammyDoodle

Sammy McHammyDoodle New Member

Eventhough Felonious has made a lot of sense here I really would like to let Florans continue regenerating, just not as well as they did, so when an arm would be cut off for example it would take at least two weeks, outside of the game for it to grow back. And when it has it's a LOT weaker than their undamaged arm, they can still use it but it doesn't have the power to do difficult things. The regenerating would also take almostly all energy away from them. But maybe that's just me.

6. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

7. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

If you're gonna scrap Floran regeneration because of abuse, then you might as well scrap Glitch repair. There's no lore backing up the fact that you could even attempt to repair a broken Glitch, as far as we know the technology is far too complicated.
    Glitch repair has been abused at least as much as Floran regeneration, yet people only complain about Florans, because of the Floran's obnoxious behaviour.
    Floran regeneration has been server canon for a very long time now, if you're gonna change this suddenly, you might as well introduce a lot of changes to both the Glitch and Floran server canon, cybernetics, wounds and recovery time.
    Personally i'm not against removing Floran regen, but then I'd expect you'd give the Glitch the same treatment. (As in, you'd be able to create a new arm for the Glitch, but it's not the same as the original, hell there's no lore backing that up either)
    Everyone and their mother nowadays has access to cybernetics, so does it REALLY matter?
    People recover from losing limbs all the time, super fast, and adjust to cybernetics way too fast.
    The issue isn't the Floran regeneration, it is just recovery IN GENERAL.

8. Solour

Solour a dad

*high five*

9. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

Just because something is abused, does not mean the entire concept needs to be removed.
    Players need to send in reports of the abuse
    And Mods need to remove the abusers.

Do not make the rest of us suffer for the ones who are doing wrong.

Edit: Besides, everyone knows you fight Florans with fire. Ever see a burned plant regenerate or regrow? Didn't think so.

10. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...yXv5FKICE40tCjoCQ&sig2=-ymFydo0qj7HQfvYLZZcaQ
    I'd assume burn wounds are exactly the same as any other wound.

11. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Edit: This is about leaves/foliage on trees, i know it doesn't account for limbs or body parts in Florans, but still, fire doesn't necessarily mean the part is unregeneratable.

12. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

I'd say if you burn a part off a Floran, it stays off. But that's how I think, and how I RP it. Dunno how others do, but it seems reasonable to me.

13. Switchback

Switchback Iss likess fissh eyess~!

This thread right now: " Floran regeneration is unrealistic and i dont like it. therefore we should remove it."
    I agree with Malachar 100%
    We dont need to remove Floran regeneration. we need to stop the people who abuse it.
    Too bad rule Zero got changed...

14. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

If anything in order to prevent future discussions or problems there should be specific rules on recovery and adjustment to cybernetics in all organic races.
    Floran regeneration and Glitch repair should remain server canon, in my opinon, but if it changes I won't cry over it.
    Both would need to be regulated though to prevent abuse. I did post some guidelines as to what the timeframe is in general on certain body parts, but I don't know wheter my tribe members actually follow that, because some people like Firechaser don't even read the forums.

15. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Yes, that and make clear rules about how recovery works in general for each of the different races.

Stop complaining about rule zero being changed, it's pretty much rule 1 now and in a community, mosty built by young adults i'd think we can at least try to discuss this in a mature fashion without needing some stupid song to remind us to play nice.

16. Switchback

Switchback Iss likess fissh eyess~!

You know i was going to responds to the rule zero part. but it'd just get everyone pissy at me...

17. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

I agree, the "stupid song" didn't work. I propose shock collars as the next attempt.

18. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Seconded.

19. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

Glitch repair is an interesting subject. Because they are programmed to simulate organic life, it can be assumed Hivemind Glitch have limiting programs that keep them from repairing themselves too quickly. It's also possible (god help me for saying this) some kind of nanotechnology, internal repair system is present to patch and fix damage in a more organic way. I agree that Glitch have abused the limits that should be in place on their systems. Ignoring damage, existing in states of literal decapitation...

However, I am complaining about Florans because this thread is titles "Floran regeneration" and not "Cybernetics, medicine and robots". Nowhere in the canon lore is it stated that they can regenerate. There is also no biological basis for them to have such advanced forms of regeneration. It was put in place because people seeking to abuse it said "Plants Regenerate" when most plants do not, in fact "Regenerate".

Lynching wasn't last made illegal until after 1970. And yet, it's probably for the best it was changed.

The problem is no other race can do this. I suppose you could count cloning but we're still dealing with the fallout from that. The other issue is, in no scenario has a Floran grown back weaker than they were when they lost their limb. This is a tool to avoid consequence, and to avoid character development. It's not ever been used as an 'interesting trait' or otherwise. It's used to shrug off an attack when any non-Floran attacker must first put themselves at great risk.

Passive Aggression points, Gramps. Take a cookie. "Rule Zero" should never ever have been used to shot down civil debate, as you are suggesting here.

Now... As for shutting down abuse, how do you plan to do that. I hate to say it, but you oversaw the administration of strait up magic levels of regeneration within the Ailanthus tribe that, even now, I consider one of the greatest levels of abuse of medicine in the server's history. Anyone who has ever used Floran regeneration has been abusing it. Ever. I would like examples otherwise.

TL/DR: It's an issue that has never been used except to maintain a status quo and avoid the consequences of violent lifestyle, removing the risk from the user. I can find in the forum archives no instance where Floran regeneration has been used for something other than abuse. It's not upheld by any in-game data. It's not biologically likely.

20. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

Next Question?