1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Event: The "Opportunity" Shipwreck

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by Tallen, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Aren't cold places generally lacking in moisture because all the water is frozen. Antarctica is the world's largest desert, there's frozen water everywhere but no humidity. Of course there is plenty of snow to melt.

2. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Florans have been shown to function mostly like we expect from other flesh humanoids, so they'd probably be the same in that respect. However, like Wreth points out, drought is the issue. Florans can warm themselves by hunting, wearing the pelts, kill the native wildlife, hollow them out and use their body heat to survive like on Hoth in startwars, the use of fire (even Florans have been seen to utilise fire when they need to), etc etc... Even florans can figure out that if you melt snow or ice you get water.

The Glitch body generates some heat, so in general a cool climate agrees with the machinery within them. However, in climates that are extremely cold, their inner circuits may freeze and they will shut down. This makes extremely cold climates also very dangerous to the Glitch. Warm climates however, would obviously have a bad effect on their machinery, since it could be more prone to overheat.
    Glitch are water proof, but after a while water will find its way into the Glitch’s systems, which would damage its inner circuitry and shut it down. Acidic substance may corrupt a Glitch’s outer shell and damage its inner systems that way.
    ((Excerpt 1 from The Steel Casebook, Conflicted. This hard bed is perfect for the Glitch, but what if it melts?(Ice Bed) Longing. Lying in this snow pile and making snow angels might be bad for my internal circuitry. (Snowdrift))
    ((Glitch can drown using in-game mechanics, they make water RESISTANT devices all the time. My phone is water resistant to 10 feet for 30 minutes. Beyond that and it will start to take on water and probably stop working. Glitch may be water resistant, but it's hard to waterproof a piece of complex machinery without encasing it in a protective shell, Glitch get damaged from the green water, which is described as acid on the wiki, which would explain why Glitch get damaged from them))

3. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

One does wonder the freezing point of floran sap however.

4. Yotan

Yotan New Member

I kind of don't pay the whole Florans are like humans thing. They are alien and plant like Winter effects plants differently then other organics:

More here

5. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Florans are alien plant humanoids, them being similar to humans in some aspects isn't weird, as they are alien and are supposed to be different from the life forms we're used to.

6. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Yeah which also mean they many not produce internal heat like Humans. Similar does not mean they are the same, Gorn are similar to humans but physiology not the same.

So your telling me Florans are Thermogenic plants humanoids? I had to actually look that up.

7. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

there's no lore that states otherwise, general rule of thumb is to fill in unknowns with human equivalents

8. Yotan

Yotan New Member

So basically it is head cannon. So saying a floran can't really handle the cold is not the end of be all, nor can they produce heat like humans.

9. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Realistically no lifeform can be as active as a human and be cold blooded.

10. Node

Node Literal Edgelord

Just as a heads up guys, I'm probably going to have to sit out the rest of the event. My internet has been out for days, and I don't think its going to come back any time soon.

Anyway, just... do your thing.

11. Diehardpatriot

Diehardpatriot New Member

Too late to join? This looks spectacular!

12. Tallen

Tallen New Member

Player intervention has changed the overall tone of the event from "survival in a harsh environment" to "heroism and badassery". If that is your cup of tea then by all means.

13. Diehardpatriot

Diehardpatriot New Member

Character: Max
    Species: Glitch
    In the ship because: Meeting up with a group of old Fracture friends out of sector, stayed in his quarters for the duration of the trip until the crash. Delayed awakening due to being in sleep mode.
    Carrying things with him: Sweater, ascot, boots, jeans, undershirt, chest rig, Wrist mounted PDA, M45 service pistol (.45 cal), x2 13 rounds .45 round magazines, x1 KABAR knife

14. Wingfighter

Wingfighter New Member

So! We've all come to the conclusion that this shouldn't last a whole lot longer. Or that's what most of us want. It's been an awesome RP, one of my favorites. There were a few hitches, yes. But most of them were resolved. Anyway, the few remaining survivors have banded together once again, placing all their hope on the machine Bork dug out from the communications deck. Him, Fern, and Ion have been working full tilt to get the transmitter working. Here's a brief description:

The long range transmitter, found charred, dented and half melted in the ruins of the communications deck. AFTER repairing this device there is still more to be done. It needs power, an antenna, and high ground to transmit from. They will have ONE chance with the power source they've created, the signal will be instant, automatically sending a distress call with jump co-ords, making rescue very quick if someone chooses to respond.

Is this alright, Tallen? I don't want to hijack the event if you had anything planned to do before it ends.

15. Yotan

Yotan New Member

I agree with most of it, Fern on the other hand can't do much. She has been working on combining all the electronic devices power supplies together into on large one. Probably going to be the size of a medium sauce pan. After that she is really not doing well, fever from the buckshot in her arm is setting in. I know that that Comm needs to be rewired, the is obviously from the damage stated.

16. Tallen

Tallen New Member

Nah. This is fine. They got materials and salvage from around the area and key pieces restored by Nano. Go right ahead.

17. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

if he was there and stayed with the group he's now rescued and either in mattis clinic or somewhere on mattis or on their ship.

18. Tallen

Tallen New Member

Wait.

They were already rescued?

I was under the impression it was going to happen the following day. I was going to make a post here to let everyone know and try to arrange a time so they can participate in the most crucial moment of the entire event, particularly so non-participants can also join in to rescue their loved ones and friends. I was going to make an IC thread, but everyone was already rescued by the USAF?

How did it all go?

19. Yotan

Yotan New Member

HA ha ... I know this was going to happen. Yeah needless to say the USAF did rescue them, Ethan and Annebelle were the two individuals to rescue the survivors. I was able to make it two the ship, and to fort Mattis but that was it. So I am not sure what else happened.

20. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

It went pretty well. Alot of walking. But that's kinda required when you beam down on a random planet you receive a distress from.