1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Cosmic Anomaly Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Unofficial Lore Discussion' started by Kazyyk, Aug 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Not A President

Not A President [help me]

i can't rate this post as depressing

2. Alaystus

Alaystus Resident Art Bum
    Staff Member

So uh, what's the status report on the anomaly? It's been a while since we've had any new posts, or anything with information. We still doing that voting thing? Or has the staff figured out basically what they wanna do yet? This gonna be happening any time soon? Or should I just be waiting until winter break to check back?

-Edit- Wow, so many questions, sorry to uh. Spring this on you like this.

3. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

We should just make it a supernova. Makes more sense. Less crazy shit.

4. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

I mean, then we all just die.

5. Wreth

Wreth New Member

A supernova only affects one star, it's just a single star exploding.

6. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

Supernovas take oodles and oodles of years, as well.

7. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

Yeah but thats a big boom fam. Thats bound to rek some people.

8. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Supernova isn't large enough to wipe out a sector. You're likely thinking of a hypernova.

9. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

A supernova releases enough radiation to wipe out solar systems for light years around. At least, solar systems which have planets with atmospheres. If we did this, saying that the lack of scientists in Antares prevented prior knowledge, and its become clear this supernova will be taking place soon, it will prompt an immediate evacuation of the system. It will create fear, worry, people can't carry everything with them, and it won't totally fuck with the lore set up by Chucklefish. It makes a hell of a lot more sense than some 'anomaly' that warps time and space.

EDIT: It would mess with sensors, excess radiation coming from the collapsing star would destroy some planets in said system. There'd be warning of course. As much as the admins want. Could be a few days, a week or two. It would force those that live in Antares to evacuate to another outlying sector further away from the Core. OR, as ships warp away, the supernova could mess with their warp systems and send them into an undiscovered sector of the Milky Way. Still have the same results as the anomaly. No contact with the Core until ships are repaired, maps can be made, etc. People would have to start over with bare supplies, limited tech. Ships would be damaged, people afraid and confused. People sick from radiation poisoning, or maybe someone dies from not escaping the blast? Bada-bing.

10. Atom

Atom New Member

About when can we expect this? I can't be the only one taking a break from Antares, waiting to come back after it happens. I would really like to see some planning of a server wide story arc following the wipe rather than a big exhausting plot for a one time OOC event.

11. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

In all honesty, as long as my character survives whatever happens I'm down with ANY sort of cosmic anomaly or hypernova or whatever. It's not a huge deal what happened or why, just so long as it happens.

12. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

Well, I'll tell the guys to pack up and head out then. Until we find out what the next 'event' is going to be, is there any real reason to play on the server as of now? Anything could happen until it just suddenly PLOPS up on our announcement feed and our email.

I was dumb to hype this up for the people I brought back to the community, sorry guys.

13. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

Well, you could, like, roleplay.

I mean, characters arent going to lose memories, friends or enemies when this strikes, as far as I can tell, so in the week you have left you can friggin roleplay, which is what we're here to do.

The one thing that we're gonna lose is anything we build on planets, which is a lot, sure, but 1) We already have a few colonies up as of now, still ripe for rp, and 2) if your purpose on the server is merely to build something, you're probably in the wrong place. I'll probably still be on the server, going around, talking to people, making friends and the like.

Plus, this anomaly is a big event. I'm planning on having it affect my character a lot, and it's pretty likely that an event like this would do similarly for anyone else. It's not every day the galaxy is rearranged and homes and colonies get lost to time.

14. Not A President

Sorry to inform. :/

15. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

I was talking about the anomaly being canceled.

16. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Just a reminder that the anomaly was just an idea. I'm sorry it came across as "This is definitely the thing we're doing", since that wasn't meant to be the case.

17. Fluffeh

Fluffeh New Member

could we do the annomaly? because the only other thing suggested would also wipe out characters ic wise, a hypernova. and I liked the Idea of an annomaly, we could just make it be so it will spread throughout antares, and one or two nearby sectors, and when it spreads to everywhere in that area, it just stays there, taking in anyone new to enter, like some previous people said.

18. Not A President

I think there's already a plan, in the One More Week announcement. Check that out for details.

19. Fluffeh

Fluffeh New Member

nope, just read it over like a 10th time, they still dont know how they are going to explain the wipe ic, just that it wont be the annomaly.

20. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

I think they're going to tell us what their idea is then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.