1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Concerns with Antares and a State of Affairs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Amethyst, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Amethyst

Amethyst Birdiest Bird to Ever Say Words

Greetings. I'm not so active on the forums, but anyone who plays on the server might recognize me as Ametzl, Morgan, or Oliver.

It seems like there's an increasing amount of drama backstage with Antares. I might be reading into things too much, but either way, I wasn't eager to sit idly by and let things spiral out of hand if they really are going down the track it feels like they are. At least now I can say I tried to help if everything falls apart.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10P0FJLsxb-kbh6-QPbanJ5DpsMv08Eo9Z2WkkXBT9JQ/edit?usp=sharing

I've voiced all my concerns in the link provided, and I would encourage anyone and everyone to do the same in a civil, productive manner so that there's less in-fighting and less division in the community.

Thanks in advanced,
    Amethyst
    @SenMithrarin#5244 steamcommunity.com/id/senmithrarin

2 people like this.
  2. Sytic

Sytic New Member

This isn't a state of affairs overall, this is a state of affairs on Refract Valley and it's place in regards to the backstage drama.

At least, that's what I could grasp.

EDIT: Lemme talk a little more about this, then.
    This has three topics of discussion, and they all start like this:

Events in the Valley

The lack of certain RP events in the Valley seems to be an issue, especially for characters of more dubious intent.

Valley talk.

Communications

A larger issue, however, is with the current methods of communication employed. On both fronts, it seems as though talking behind people’s backs, conspiring, and reaching arbitrary conclusions are more prevalent than hosting a productive discussion. And facilitating such a discussion is vital - without it, an “us vs. them” mentality will only continue to grow, and the community will continue to in-fight despite its counterproductiveness.

The only kind of "us vs. them" topic referred to is based around the previous topic, which was the Events in the Valley. If not, you need to explain this further.

Ending Drama

All things considered, I can assure you that nobody of the Valley intends harm to Antares. Even if you disagree with the Valley, participation is optional.

Valley talk.

Note, I'm not saying this is not a problem. I'm saying this is a misleading title. It IS a problem.

#2 Sytic, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2017
  3. Amethyst

Amethyst Birdiest Bird to Ever Say Words

I suppose it could be misleading, then. I assumed because the Valley is typically the most populated - and because it also tends to be a source of drama behind the scenes - the title felt appropriate, but whatever the case, the title of the document itself at least clearly states Refract Valley now.

It could be argued that a lot of the issues presented here aren't inherent to the Valley, however - some of the infighting seems based more on personnel than it does about the location itself.

1 person likes this.
  4. November

November Previously Sermane
    Staff Member

I think "drama" is a little bit of an exaggeration. From what I know, the 'problem' breaks down like this:

1) Mairi and some other have problems with eachother OOC for reasons. Maybe they don't communicate well or there are grudges or something, I don't know.

2) These disagreements show up in public chat, people (being people) have opinions and take sides/present arguments. Sometimes it ends up positive, other times people feel attacked and things go poorly.

3) The problem is perceived, and now it takes on a public identity since people outside the origin are involved.

The solution as I see it is for staff to talk to peoples concerned, figure out what their problem is with who, and facilitate reconciliation or a mutual acceptance that they just don't get along as people. All of this just arises from people doing people things, primarily caused by miscommunication through an imperfect mechanism (we still have problems communicating in person as a species, further flawed mechanisms like text only or even just voice exacerbate this).

Maybe I misunderstand the issue, but from what I see it's not a new one, nor one that will stop popping up now and again.