1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Can't login?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kazyyk, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kai

Kai hey im kai and this is jackass

i really doubt it's a mod, though.

2. InfernoFiend

InfernoFiend Sake Soldier

Well.. if someone uses the Super Matter Manipulator from the Creative mod the whole server chugs, so why is it not possible for other modded tools to be doing the same? I think it could be a mod that someone is using. I don't mean just having the mod installed, I mean to say someone us using an item the server is not optimized for and so it lags/crashes. I ran a server a long time and I know when it has to read what the client is doing with a mod tool it cant identify the tool and has to use more of its processing for that object, thus why mod tools lag servers. That is how it went for me at least. If not then the server has some major issues backed up.

3. VSwift

VSwift New Member

Are these frequent login errors and connection drops par for the course on this server? I just joined two days ago and I've only been able to stay connected in 20 minute intervals at a time, at best. At worst I get dropped and am unable to log back in for indiscernible lengths of time. :(

I play on another server sometimes that's run off the admin's in-house machine and the only problems we experience are lag-spikes and chat relay hitching. It has a smaller population, and I realize you guys allow a lot more players in at once. I'm also not trying to make the "but they do it, so why not you?!" comparison. I'd just like to know if this is a common thing to Starbound since I've only been doing multiplayer for a week or two.

4. Weavle105

Weavle105 Back in Black.

Crashes? Yes. login errors? No. From my experience anyways.

5. Aissa

Aissa Clockwork Pastry Lobster

Going by my own basis of comparison (paid server, decent pop, lots of restrictions on mods), lag is unavoidable and crashes will definitely happen occasionally (especially as you get closer and closer to scheduled server restart time). I can't say I've experienced login issues before now, though. It makes me wonder if the last patch fixed some of the memory leaks at the expense of... well, everything else server-related.

6. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I figure this is a good time to mention a thing or two about mods. All mods negatively impact the server.
    Why is it so? I'll explain.

When a client connects with a Mod installed, any mod, it sends data to the server. If the server doesn't have the Mod installed, the server goes "What is this?" and doesn't know what to do with it. So it does what any good program would do - it writes an error to the log file. This is all fine and dandy, except...

...when it gets that same data again later, it writes another error to the file. Add on to that that there's probably 30+ other players with Mods, and you have a lot of text getting written to the log file constantly. Not only does this make the log file massive (and as a consequence, makes it impossible for me to figure out what causes server crashes) but it also accumulatively begins to use up server resources and may produce additional lag.

Now you might be thinking, "Well, what if the server has the Mod? It's okay then, right?"
    Unfortunately, it isn't. Even if the Server has the mod - when a player joins that doesn't have it, and sees a person that does have it, their client freaks out. This can cause crashes depending on the Mod, not only of their client, but sometimes even the server itself. The exact nature of this isn't clear to me, but I've had it reported by other server owners.

The jist of it is that Mods are currently taxing on the server, and there's currently no way to police them without sacrificing the ability to import custom music (and resorting to a completely vanilla server), or without forcing everyone to install the exactly allowed mods or music files. If I were to enable AssetDigest, then we'd have to have a Community Mod Pack or Community Music Pack and both would be mandatory to be able to login.

There's no easy solution to this problem. It is what is it.

7. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

my music files do you mean ABCs or the other kind?

8. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Any. (But yes, ABCs)
    AssetDigest basically means that the client must match the server exactly, or you won't be able to connect.
    In case anyone is confused, AssetDigest is currently disabled and always has been.

9. Pixel

Pixel Captain Amurica

How about telling new people who just got their applications approved to download the two packs as a requirement to play on the server?

10. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

That severely reduces our accessibility.

11. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

Well, I suppose a community music pack would be fine so long as its just ABCs. I have plenty to contribute to it. And the modpack is great, everyone should be using it anyway.

12. VSwift

VSwift New Member

Speaking as someone who's very new to the server, I would not be opposed to a required download of assets or mods in the slightest! If, in some small way, this helps to reduce server strain, who am I to object? Maybe it's not a popular opinion, but I don't think others would mind either. Seems a fair compromise for such a nice community.

In any case, it's one of the many things that will be eventually improved once Chucklefish makes server-to-client customization more seamless. In the mean time, well, we should all cooperate to make things better for everyone!

13. White

White The Guy who is always working.

I can't see a issue with downloading assets, as long as there's two things to think about.

Updating the mods, will be nearly impossible (as, again it would create a mismatch), until Chucklefish finally maker the client and server able to share assets and mods to ensure they both understand each other, thus one would more or less have to make -one- final version, and wait for chucklefish to get their updates out before updating them.

The Assets would have to be easily downloaded and the application would require a confirmation of having downloaded said mods.

How would this policy "fully customized ships?" (i recommend testing is done).

I also am not sure, but i believe people may be modding weapons and other things (armor stats for instance). using a specific tool found on the net, I tested this tool but i never brought the modified weapons onto the server, and deleted them after confirming it works in SP.

however that could possible cause the same issue, with the server not recognizing the weapon as one of its randomly generated weapons. or the edited armors as a armor in the game, causing same issue.

14. White

(Can't edit here) its to note that the fully customized ships most likely produced the least of these errors if at all, due to the fact that people rarely jump to each others ships, and most have it. I'm not sure how the mod works, but i do believe it infact only removes the existing ship, thus not really modifying the rules of the space, so may cause no errors at all.

15. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

I'm currently having trouble logging in, I've triple-checked each of the login fields and I'm still getting the usual "failed to login" message. Even after the server reset it just doesn't want to work. Any ideas?

16. Kai

Kai hey im kai and this is jackass

try restarting the game, or restarting your computer. that usually works for me.

17. Kirby teh Pink

I've restarted the game several times, even removed the character I had just created to see if that was messing it up.

...but I suppose I should try restarting the computer.

18. Kirby teh Pink

Restart didn't help. ( Where's my edit button? D: )

19. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Edits aren't allowed in the security forum because it's usually reserved for Griefers. S'kinda turned all-purpose, though.

20. White

I recommend mod digest, implement the RP chat mod ( i couldn't live without that), The vanity mod, a music mod (community), and one customizable ship mod ( i recommend the FCS mod, byt Princeofmar5) combine it all into one big pack, and give the link to everyone who wants to join, i mean, everyone goes through a application to join, no way they cant spent the 5 minutes to DL it, then update it weekly or so if necessary, this would solve our mod synch, and permit modding, without causing errors as i understand it).

Perhaps throw in as block spawning mod like SIP, for those whom loves building ( like me) wrap it all into one download link rather than 6-7, then it should be easy eh ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.