1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Can Florans go through Speech/Accent Theraphy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by InvaderCristi, Feb 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

You are derailing the thread. This is about florans, not avians.

2. InvaderCristi

InvaderCristi New Member

He was making reference to the point of your theory that the reason why Florans have a hiss is because of their lack-of lips. Yet Avians also have no lips but they have no lisp. It is completely relevant, your accusation of derailment is derailing the thread.

3. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

I'm gonna play both sides of the coin here:

First, I can agree with the statement that the lisp in Florans is a physical problem. Their mouths are not formed int he correct way to cinch off the end of an 's' sound, and keep it short. Add in the fact that, sorry, the general stereotype of Florans "without a lisp" is the overused "raised by high-society humans after the tribe was viciously murdered by Hylotl and they were the only survivor" snowflake, or something similar, tends to twinge peoples angry sensor, it is also a, I guess, protection agent against any more snowflake plant-suit characters. I also agree that the Floran at the outpost is bad writing. If it dresses like a human, and speaks like a human.... Now I realize that can link to a number of other examples among other races, but please bear with me. I don't think Florans should lose the lisp, but I do understand the counterpoints to why they should.

On the other side, I can imagine that some Florans might be able to lose the lisp. It is most likely similar to how someone from another country might lose their accent after living in the new country for some years. They hear other words spoken differently, unconsciously add them to their speaking patterns, and over time their mouths accustom themeslves to the new pattern of speech, eliminating most, if not all of the accent. Now, in Florans it may not be the entire accent, as no matter how hard you try, for example, a snake wouldn't be able to speak perfect English. The physical traits of the snakes mouth are not built in that sense. I do believe that if done correctly that someone playing a Floran can RP the lisp, if not being gone, then having it deteriorated. Maybe only long 's' sounds are slurred. Or something that is an obvious slur. Speaking bluntly, I also think that a fear of change among the community is preventing this from coming into play. Granted, I might be part of that, but it's still a thing.

These are just my thoughts, I tried to see both sides of the argument. I have no solution, only more information to get the solution. Do with that what you will.

4. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

It says no where. ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE, that they lose their lisps. That is saying some florans want to leave tribes, not that they lose their lisps, or even become civilized creatures.

5. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

There's a difference in mouth structures there.

Birdlike, having all they need.

Vs a more "humanoid" mouth structure without lips.

The argument being made there would equate to.

"Penguins have wings, they should be able to fly."

6. Dimmie

Dimmie New Member

When my Floran is disguised I still add in the occasional lisp to add suspicion. Mind you it's with some sort of voice modifying device. I just like the lisp...

7. InvaderCristi

InvaderCristi New Member

It wasn't my point to be made, I was merely telling him that the other person's comment was relevant, and noteworthy.

8. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

I was merely responding and clarifying why there was a logical fallacy in the point being made, regardless of who made it originally, no worries.

9. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

Because this still applies.
    [​IMG]

As for the Avian thing, parrots and songbirds do a thing called sound mimicry to speak the language. But another I need clarification on is the fact that all players are equipped with translators (right?). If this is the case, the translator is a direct, well, translation of the racial language to a global language which is English in this case. Even if mouths are the problem, wouldn't just being well versed in their languages clear things up on the translator?
    Then it boils down to the lisp. What I think is that the lisp comes from two things: the tongue (which I can't truly verify) and the mouth. Those are two components that would make removing a lisp incredibly difficult. The tongue one is possible, but the mouth structure possibly isn't. But the floran is a combination of both.
    Oh, but what then? So florans can't remove their lisps? No, they sorta can. It should at least BE THERE though. There are still instincts pertaining to what one USED to have. And that's vital to playing a character. It's like playing a character who's an amputee. They still feel like the arm is there.

Different strokes for different folks.

10. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

I suggest we deal with this on a case by case basis. If the quality of RP is impeded in a given case by the lack of lisp (which I have felt a few times but not always) we can speak with that player. In the mean time, can we please stop arguing over this? It's going nowhere, fast.

11. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

I'm going to ask a specific few of you to calm down. By all means, discuss this rule and debate it, but do so without getting overexcited and using (albeit occasional) insults.

On the note of Avians also not having lips, birds have a special organ that allows them to make just about any sound, and even make multiple sounds at the same time. It's not unreasonable to say that bird-humanoids also have something similar.

With the Florans, the lisp is part of the way we would like to see them portrayed. Antares sticks to Starbound dev lore, but we have our own special deviations that separate us from just a big multiplayer server, and players have taken advantage of other changes in the past.

12. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

Pretty sure the actual reason floran speak with a hiss is to add the race's identity and set them apart from the others, because racial diversity is cool.

13. GoneDark

GoneDark Previously Darkwill

The way I achieved this exact thing for Darkwill is a combination of two things.

1.) Speech therapy which one, is therapy, so is built to compensate for the patient's physiology to get them to speak in a way that sounds correct to others. She isn't perfect with it, but its a lot less noticible on her, where she either can go a few words without it, or have a shorter lisp in general. However, this can be reversed a bit when she is stressed, and if she goes back to her instincts, (which has happened), I like to think it reverses it fully during that time.

2.) As a more semi-permanent solution, the vocoder responsible for channeling her voice through her survival helmet has a built in speech filtering and correction software/algorithms to detect anomalies in speech, (In this case the lisp) and correct them.

Hope this helps any Floran players who wish to solve this problem without causing conflict. :D

14. GoneDark

I find it hilarious that people think that every other race can have unlimited potential in every other aspect, but Florans have to be one specific way, or else "Plantsuit special snowflake omg." No. As Kirby even said "racial diversity is cool". But let's take that a step further, and say, "Individual diversity is awesome." In a way, you are right. Darkwill is a snowflake. She's different. Diverse. In my opinion a thousand times more interesting than the plain vanilla carnivore. Within a species, there are always going to be deviants, whether through isolation of their own species or through a heightened self awareness of the actions of ones own race.

I think you also need a better argument than, "It's different so its obviously wrong.", but that's just me. ;)

15. Avis

Be nice.

However, there is a point there. Why do people insist on playing a race and then try to get rid of everything that makes that race special?

16. GoneDark

Like I said Avis, why does a race have to be confined to such narrow options? I've seen Avian bounty hunters, Novakid scientists, Apex craftsman, Hylotl Assasins, Human militarists, Glitch celebrities... And Floran hunters. A LOT of Floran hunters. To the point it gets annoying. Bland even. Why do we need a boring bland, cookie cutter Floran hunter named StabbyMcMeateater-bladefetish? I think we need to be a little more imaginative than that, and I think other people should respect those who do.

17. Avis

You can do so without going to the extreme. The "Civilized Intelligent Floran" archetype is more overdone than "StabbyMcMeateater-bladefetish". Florans have depth to them, people just don't want to do the digging. Either Florans or Avians are the most complex race by far, but people like to lump things into extremes instead of venturing into a path that is actually their own.

18. GoneDark

Civilized Floran archetype? I've yet to see any other true civilized Florans on this server other than the author of this post... and Darkwill. Please point me to them though, and perhaps I'll know what you mean.

19. Avis

Because they're just about gone. There are only a handful. Keep in mind you've only been here a few weeks, you haven't seen the server in the grand-scheme like a lot of the people commenting here.

20. Avis

Since the topic is no longer being discussed, this thread seems to have served its purpose. If you wish to discuss anything with me further, please feel free to send e a private message, or check the IRC channel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.