1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Believing Ancient beings existed before Starbound's Timeline?

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by Grifter, May 5, 2014.

?

Ancient Beings Lore good?

1. Sure!

78.8%
  2. Nope.

21.2%
  1. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

It's too bad the art and armour for glitch is so human looking, but what can ya do.

2. Grifter

Grifter New Member

No idea.

3. Donovennn

Donovennn New Member

Er, let's not forget the lovecraftian horror that destroyed earth.

4. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

By that logic, Avians are based of a combination of Antiquity Egypt and Mesoamerican cultures. Human
    Hylotl are based on romanticized feudal Japan/far-east. Human.
    Apex are based on the human soviet block and fictional hyper-Left totalitarian governments a la 1984.
    Florans are based on primitive, hunter-gatherer societies and tribal societies reminiscent of African, Caribbean and Pacific tribes.
    Cowboys. Actually, seeing as Cowboys never really existed, that's probably the most tolerably inaccurate.

Let's face it, they're all based on Human culture.

5. Terallis

Terallis Dark Matter of Fact

Anyways, as I've stated before in this thread before it was revived, there is very little to no lore on any of the ancient races of the galaxy. Anyone claiming to carry said knowledge would be considered to be godmodding, as even with said knowledge around, it would be impossible to know. Stuff like that is considered to be completely lost to time, really.

6. Grifter

Grifter New Member

So we'll be like the species in mass effect (Besides the Reapurz) and know little than Nuttin' 'bout stuff like Novakids/Anodynes?

I'm cool with that.

[​IMG]

7. Animator

Animator New Member

Pretty much!

In their defense, having races that mimic the given traits of humanity but have very different lore/history/customs and the like keeps them as easily identifiable and as relatable as possible. That's proven true for any form of entity within science-fiction that's been created over the years: Any protagonist in a story has to have identifiable human features, even if they're purely emotional in form. Since all the playable races are protagonists in a sense (since you can play them all), they provide traits which a person can identify and project upon the character when playing.

This is reinforced with why the Agaran are non-playable: They're completely alien. Their language is undecipherable (I've tried), their actions inexplicable, their motivations still a mystery, and to expect a person to adopt that and play it will result in plain detachment. It wouldn't be because the Agarans lack a personality, but rather that their personality is completely foreign to us, the player.

This is why I'm not that critical about the directions of the choices taken with the races in the game, save for the Hylotl, but only because there's literally no content about them yet. I have some qualms about the Glitch, but it's less about how their culture mirrors ours and more about some plot-holes that irritate me.
    Either that or the character they're playing is mentally ill (schizophrenic), or just trying to gain ground for a cult when they know full well it doesn't exist, and just want to be a demagogue.

8. TheNextGuy

TheNextGuy New Member

The Novakids might be the gods of Avian's past eras that came.. This is from a codex in the game.
    "Aeons ago, before Kluex, there
    were many Sunborn - kind,
    benevolend gods who ruled over
    the Avians. There gods were
    not simply ascended, chosen
    Avians. They were born from the
    sun itself; celestial entities who
    shone with the brightest fire
    and flew through the skies like
    angels. They gave our species
    life, and in return we gave them
    our unending devotion. But like
    all lights, the Sunborn
    eventually went out..."

9. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

Well, seeing as the Avians were planned far before the Novakid, I doubt this was the intent. But, in addition to that, assuming the Devs keep the current personality of the Novakid, they'll be a chaotic people. Not the kind who would uplift the Avians as the 'Sunborn' did. Either way, I can't imagine we'll be flat-out told WHO uplifted the Avians. Or who created the Glitch. Or the Novakid. In the end, it will probably be something that lingers as an eternal enigma.

10. Shalken

Shalken New Member

It's honestly too bad we can't use the Novakid, I'd love to be able to play one.

11. Doughnuts

Doughnuts New Member

You know, I never thought of it as a Lovecraft kind of thing, but it does sound a lot like it: a mysterious tentacle monster appearing to decimate the human population and level Earth, without any prior warning. Pretty spooky.

12. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

It's actually in nightly updates now, it still counts right.

13. Shalken

Shalken New Member

I noticed all the updates, I'm really excited that they might be coming out next patch.

14. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

Yeah who's not, they're star people suited like characters from western movie- totally cool.
    But how they will be introduced to RP?
    Big event or something, i dunno

15. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

Big star explosion?

16. Terallis

Terallis Dark Matter of Fact

Only downside to when the novakids are finally put in is that I can see everyone and their mother playing one. I do want to play one, myself, but I think it might be a while before I do, after they are put in. LOL

17. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

This will be my greatest fear. Don't get me wrong, Novakids are cool (Avian still master race), but 'everyone and their mother [will be] playing one.' Gonna be ALL over the place.

18. The Grand Mugwump

We'll have to wait for developer lore to really answer that. Based off what the original contest winner, Bietol, says though, they'd likely suddenly appear when a colony or race redevelops FTL travel again.

19. CrackShotCleric

CrackShotCleric New Member

Actually, the intro and lore for ALL the races were only finalized AFTER the Nova Kids were created by their top tier benefactor in their Kick-Starter Campaign. Because the game devs and the benefactor worked hand in hand on the development of the Nova Kid concept, it is easy to assume the lore was simply altered slightly to create consistency.

That said, Thank you for the lore quote TheNextGuy, I hadn't taken the idea seriously until you reminded me of it.

20. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

Technically speaking, no lore is finalized at all yet. Everything is subject to change. However, the Avian PDF and the 'Meet the x's all came out long before the Novakid.