1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Avian Lore

Discussion in 'Unofficial Lore Discussion' started by Haplap, Apr 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

I'm not the one working on the Avian lore, but I don't see why you would not be able to have feathered hands or webbed feet. The avian lore is general covering an entire race which in turn should not stop anyone from being a variation of the race such as a duck.

I mean you do you, man. The lore is in place to help players who need help or descriptions for their roleplay.

1 person likes this.
  2. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

#inb4 Got any Grapes?

3. Yotan

Yotan New Member

I am not Avian player but lets talk hand strength. There is no way you can convince me that feathers have the same strength that of talons hands. Plus Starbound is not some Disney movie.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

We are talking hollow feathers made of Keratin, that is that same stuff a human finger nail is made out of. Where talon-ed digits are lot more to them then just some near thin nail trying to hold stuff.
    [​IMG]

4. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

Nobody said that they were as strong...

5. Yotan

Yotan New Member

No body also stated they weren't either.

6. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

Feather hands are dumb. Actual hands that are hands are where it's at.

7. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

Nobody said that the hands were just made of feathers either. That'd be plain stupid.

1 person likes this.
  8. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

Eh. At the moment, i'm leaning for let people do as they wish. If they want their character to have inferior feather hands, go for it. Webbed feet was something I didn't bring up specifically, but i'm totally for.

9. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

Webbed feet and feathers for hands arent the same, but it's not my place to decide whats okay and what isn't. Fortunately it seems that the 'feathers for hands' thing was a miscommunication and people only want feathers ON their hands. Which is fine.

10. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Then what do you mean by feathered hands to be clean? I understand rapture-ish hands like iksar claws in Everquest. Clarify if you don't mind. Pics would help.

11. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

I dont know if anyone brought this up yet. But werent Hylotl supposed to be the most agile and high endurance species with a slight loss in physical strength?

12. Yotan

Yotan New Member

I don't think so.

13. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Hylotl were supposed to be the "weakest" race, as they are continually patronised by the other races. (not only Floran)
    They make up for this with their skill and martial arts (sorta like Asians).
    They only really excel at underwater combat and presumeably space combat, because of their familiarity with it, 3d manoeuvers and such.

Other than being good swimmers and other than the underwater and potentially space advantages mentioned previously, perhaps being capable of breathing on land and underwater, the Hylotl aren't a physiologically impressive race. They were never meant to be either.
    Their whole theme is based on how culturally advanced they are, how skilled they are (not just in combat but also the arts in general) and they are mostly pacifists.
    I'd say that on average they'd be less "strong" than humans physically, but not in a way that actually matters.

This doesn't mean you can't be a bad ass adventurer, those also exist, but they're supposed to be somewhat of a rarity, which is why Hiraki Corale is viewed as a irregularity amongst her(?) people. I'd attribute her skill to her(?) intelligence/skill/technique (I believe she(?) just feigns ignorance to catch foes off guard), kind of like this: (9:00 - 10:50). I know this is a bit exaggerated (the clip) but that's just an example of what sorta tone or theme I have in mind for the Hylotl in terms of physical capabilities.

14. Yotan

Yotan New Member

... Aren't the Novakid the weakest out of all the races?

15. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

I said: were supposed to be the weakest race. Novakid came after the Hylotl, but yeah Hylotl physically do outmatch Novakid, I believe.

16. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

I think anyone that thinks of it in terms of 'who is weakest, who is strongest' isn't doing it right. It isn't a contest, it's a matter of making each race believable in their own right.

17. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Terminology can cause some issues. I do agree with you Awe, but not just believable in their own right also appeal. Saying Novakid are the weakest species does not make them appealing. To me at least. Restating as: Compared to the other species the Novakid lack physically, however their physiology does more then make up for it with environmental versatility.

Now that I think about it, even in my own lore suggestion threads. This should be more of the focus. So maybe focusing on species creation on:
    • Making sense
    • Believable
    • Appealing
    • Not making them OP'ed (a given)