1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Approved Mod List: Now Updated

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Felonious, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

This is not actually the cause of the crashes. The crashes in question seem connected to a different issue.

2. Therinfluffs

Therinfluffs New Member

3. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

The Spawnable Items Pack has shown to be incompatible with multiplayer. I've not looked at the latest version, so maybe they were removed, but the mod at one point had introduced custom assets. For now, please avoid using it on the server.

4. Solour

Solour a dad

ILC > SIP
    fact.

5. Therinfluffs

Therinfluffs New Member

Not sure, i've used it on a few other servers since it was updated for spirited giraffe. Mainly since I couldn't get IlikeCheating to work on the most recent stable build. I'll log into singleplayer to grab blocks to build with it in that case for this server.

6. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Not only using it on the server, but having it installed while joining the server as well. If a player is found with mods or items which cause server errors, they may be punished. Please make sure you do not bring any unapproved mods onto the server as they negatively effect the stability.

7. Therinfluffs

Therinfluffs New Member

Understandable, I'll have to run an unmodded starbound server on another machine and see what carries over. As for disabling it before logging in, that's as easy as just making a second empty 'mods' folder and changing the name of the other one by adding a single letter or number... Chucklefish should really add a checkbox to 'launch without mods' in the launcher.

8. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Chucklefish should add a great wealth of things. Alas...

9. Therinfluffs

Therinfluffs New Member

Yep, also did some experimentation. Apparently cheat-engine can be used to make sure the HEX Id's match on items from the vanilla game. I'd make a guide how but it includes tedious tasks such as.. actually finding a duplicate item in the main game (or spawning it in under /admin), and alot of well.. trial and error. *cough*

10. Kuromimi

Kuromimi New Member

11. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

12. Kuromimi

Kuromimi New Member

Alright then. Ty for the quick response.

13. Boz0

Boz0 New Member

14. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

After checking over this mod, they both seem to use custom assets. The best way to determine if a mod is vanilla-friendly is to open it up and determine whether or not the mod introduces new files, or overwrites existing ones. If it simply overwrites existing items, there's a good chance it's vanilla-friendly. As always though, just to be on the safe side, never assume a mod is vanilla-friendly without asking first, even if it doesn't actually introduce any new files.

15. Voltaicstream

Voltaicstream New Member

Would the AVIAN alternate ai mod be acceptable? I've gotten so used to playing with it that SAIL is just soooo boring now.

16. TwitchtheCat

TwitchtheCat New Member

Is it possible the "Your Starbound Crew" mod could be added to the approved list?

17. meanwhile

meanwhile drunk cyberpunk catgirl

That mod adds custom assets, thus it would not be wise to use it in a multiplayer environment. Approved mods must work in a vanilla multiplayer environment, and must not cause issues for players without said mod. Any mod that adds custom assets can cause issues for players not using that mod, and we'd rather avoid having mods necessary for playing.

Additionally, we've had issues where people have brought mods that add custom assets onto the server in the past, and they've always caused server crashes since they must be installed on the server to work.

18. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Hackerman does not approve!

19. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

The amount of "Hey, can I use this mod that uses Custom Assets?" "No." is huge here. I'm surprised Twitch hasn't gotten a template for answering this yet.

20. Krug

Krug New Member

So, are mods still allowed, and if so, which are? I'm a bit confused by the outdated part