1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Anomaly Zone Name

Discussion in 'Unofficial Lore Discussion' started by Kazyyk, Aug 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Not A President

Not A President [help me]

Perhaps we could think of words in different languages that mean something important in English. Might seem neat as a name.

But I stick with my Telphin. SeƱora Telphin.

2. Rezima

Rezima New Member

That's why I liked aethiria, it's greek, relates to 'the wind', seemed appropriate given that the anomaly seems to carry things from one part of the galaxy to another

3. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

In the spirit of foreign languages, Relegunt Space.

4. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

With naming situations like these, I'd want something that'd be the first thing to come to mind. If I landed on some uninhabited planet due to an anomaly, I wouldn't name something Argo Navis, after the ship Argo from Jason and the Argonauts, due to it representing Jason's voyage. I would likely name something.. something simple. A name that ICly would roll off the tongue of every character. A name that's simple, but still holds meaning. A name that's easy, but holds a lot behind it. A name that can show how much it really affected the Antarans.

Just an elaboration on my themes to keep things fresh.

The Genesis Gateway

5. Alaystus

Alaystus Resident Art Bum
    Staff Member

You open your eyes. After the bright flash of light, you find yourself surrounded in a dark place, lit only by a campfire. There are people around, huddling together under blankets. It's cold. It appears to be raining. Some have contracted food poisoning, and some have begun to starve. An unsettling thin man turns to you with a weak smile and wide eyes. "Heh... Welcome to Hell!"

6. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

Well I think "Hellgate" would be appropriate. It's simple, and it would reflect the harshness of survival for unprepared people.

7. Teshak

Teshak New Member

I think I want to add to this idea.

...almost literally. I was sitting here and thinking about that name. Its not really that big of an addition,but The Neo Genesis Sector sounds pretty rad in my book. you got the right idea Smoke :D

8. Not A President

Not A President [help me]

I like a lot of these ideas for names. I feel as though this should be pushed soon enough, names aren't that important but it looks like we've got some really nice candidates.
    I know I'd be on in an instant the universe reset with a WHOLE NEW WORLD~

9. Teshak

Teshak New Member

A BRAND NEW PLACE WE NEVER KNEW~

sorry i'll stop now

10. Deadkool-aid

Deadkool-aid New Member

Hellgate Genesis?

11. Alaystus

Staff Member

So, Neo-Genesis then?

#52 Alaystus, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2015
  12. Yotan

Yotan New Member

I hope not. Nothing against Smokestack but new genesis just does not sound good. Genesis it self means:

the origin or mode of formation of something.
    synonyms: origin, source, root, beginning, start
    And being that the MW never had a genesis, it really can't be a new. Adding neo instead of new doesn't really make a difference.

De Novo sounds better if you are going to go with something like genesis. At least it defines as:
    • anew; afresh; again; from the beginning.

13. Alaystus

Staff Member

To be clear, I had suggested Neo first. But enough of me being salty, I'm going back to my suggestion with Hell. Or Hellgate, like Lyro said.

Edit- Or, if someone would like to come up with an extremely long and obnoxious German word for our new system, I'd love it.

Or screw it, Bermuda is just as good, what am I even saying.

#54 Alaystus, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  14. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your name suggestion. People were liking my name suggestion of "The Genesis Gateway" though.

Genesis meaning the formation of something and the gateway just meaning an opening leading somewhere else. So It describes an opening leading somewhere else that causes the formation of a new civilization away from Antares.

The name Genesis Gateway would in turn be describing the anomaly itself and what ex-Antarans would be doing to make their new home. Like in the Book of Genesis ((forgive me and correct me if I'm wrong)) God created the earth and placed onto it the first man and woman. In this case, the first men and women would be the ex-Antarans and they would be shaping the land that they were suddenly thrown upon.

15. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Seems like people are being moved to an unknown place and unable to get back, a new place is not created.

16. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

I think that while we can decide an OOC name for a new sector, we should also give it some time IC after the anomaly happens and see if any names or references come up IC. I'm betting the anomaly will at least come up for a few days ICly, so we can see what sort of names come up then. Besides, even if we come up with a name OOCly, if this new sector of space is completely uncharted/unheard of/undiscovered, ICly the players would have no idea where they are, and no way to know of the new name we came up with OOCly.

17. Alaystus

Staff Member

It's all right Smokestack, I just got a little salty. But I understand both sides, while a new place in space isn't being created (canonically), it is a fresh start, some place new. Like a rebirth. In that sense, it would be the Genesis of a new era. To be quite honest, I'd go with just Genesis over New or Neo.

18. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

Try "Naturwissenschaften". It means "Science". Not exactly on topic but still, you asked for a long German word.

19. Fluffeh

Fluffeh New Member

New Antrares Frontier

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.