1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

An explanation.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ScarletSongbird, May 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ScarletSongbird

ScarletSongbird Galactic Hitchhiker

So this is sort of an explanation thread for my leaving. Note, this goodbye probably isn't my last, I'll probably be back at some point, but for now, for a long time, I'm taking a break. These are all my opinions and probably won't hold water at all, so... here it is.

Things for me have sort of been rough. There's a lot of reasons I'm taking a break, but at the forefront, it's the arguments, hostility in the community, and just the unbearable lack of creativity.

I'm just goddamn tired of the arguments, about nearly everything. Everything from basic technology to lore, and they never get anywhere, all they do is end up emotionally draining and frustrating. All of us are so goddamn stubborn, including myself, we all want to be special and because of that, we can't agree on anything. It's driving me insane.

Another part of it is that we're all so desperate for 'content' that we're just cranking out things we can't even support at this point, we have, what? Four colonies now? When we have a population that can barely support two? Maybe not even that. Everyone's making factions, including myself, and dividing up into smaller groups again. Things are becoming closed out again, we're getting back to a few months ago when we were all convinced we were going down with a sputter. To me, it just feels difficult to get into RP with anyone.

Which brings me to my next point, it feels difficult to RP anymore at all. I feel like if I get into combat I need to know every little thing about my gun inside and out, what I'm wearing, what the military armor rating of that is, what kind of bullets I'm shooting, what the enemy has. Blah blah fucking blah. I just feel like I'm expected to be ready to actually ship off to war in order to RP any combat or at all really.
    I'm not a military minded person, I'm a person who goes, "Hell, this shoots bullets, bullets kill people, if you wear a bullet vest, it'll stop this." I'm not a marine or a national guardsman, not a cop or a gun nut. I point and shoot.

And that leads back to the whole lore thing, being that people don't want to do research on something to RP. I got shit for that talking about novakids. "No one wants to look up ____" And I feel like that really applies to this... situation. I'm not a person who's going to spend hours looking over guns and armor. I don't find it fun, I don't find it interesting. I don't want to RP when it turns into a chore, and it's been feeling increasingly more like a chore because it feels like in order to RP on the server now, you need to join a military group.

I might just be cynical. And I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I don't mean any of this as an attack, but it gets me heated. I want to be part of this community, hell I love this community, you're all really cool people from all over, even if I get mad at you or we argue a lot. We argue because we're all passionate about something.

And... That's what leads me to the whole... we seem to lack creativity part. I get that we need realism, I get that realism is good. But... I also want this to be what it is. Science fiction. Everyone's always looking for exact explanations for the technology people use, always poking holes in it. We're RPing in a science fiction setting, things... just don't need explaining... That's just how things go. Sure we shouldn't have OP shit, but come on... We're still using 400 year old tech? This is literally becoming marines in space. It's turning into "We have space ships and teleporters, and colonies." But... that's where the science fiction ends.
    We're all so adamant about shooting down ideas, like "I wanna try [insert idea here] because it's something different!"
    "Oh it won't work, someone tried it before, it failed."
    "But I want to try."
    "It's a waste of time, don't even try."
    You see my issue here? We're all so ready to snuff out creativity! Sure, lasers and plasma don't really make sense! But you're all so valiant about fighting them, for some reason. We're not looking to take your guns away like mister Obama. We're just looking to get more fiction into science fiction.

And when the arguments arise... We're all so horrible to each other. Absolutely fucking terrible. You want to voice an opinion, it's a threat to becoming an argument where you get put down. People who claim to be really nice turn into passive aggressive assholes. Things get so horrible it's toxic. And these keep happening, I saw a goddamn instance of threatened blackmail and nothing happened.

So I'm out.

That's my view on the situation. I love this community, and in the months I've been here I've had a ton of fun and made a lot of friends. Which is why it sucks for me to say this. I'm taking a break and at this point it might be goodbye. We all need to learn to stop seeing each other as enemies and see each other as companions.

Hey, it's been good to know ya,

Scarlet

#1 ScarletSongbird, May 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2016
  2. Doc

Doc Video Game Extraordinaire

Thankfully one of us had the guts to say it all.

1 person likes this.
  3. zkkzz

zkkzz New Member

Was good to know ya Scarlet. I totally get what you're saying. The arguments in chat are beyond draining and I have no idea how I still get the strength to say shit. It seems like Antares is moving toward immensely detailed, arduous lore and arguments about said lore. Maybe when that period is over things will calm down? Either way I'm sticking around, but I understand why you're leaving. Hope to see you again.

4. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

:c

5. Foreign Flora

Foreign Flora New Member

I agree with you. Pretty much all of your views are mine as well. I just got into a argument because someone made WH40k spacemarine armor, and posted it in chat. People told me I can't RP a glitch knight cuz guns are the shit and if I try someone will kill me or something. Sorry you had to leave. I'm actually considering it myself at this point. I love this community as well, but... I'm too stubborn to quit just yet.

6. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

Welp.

I can fully agree with the lore discussion; it's tiring and way too in depth. I agree that we really need to dial it back, because the core of roleplay should always be FUN! Why do anything when it's not enjoyable to the player? And i'll tell you, reading a research paper's worth of lore and discussion to write your own essay back is in no way fun, especially when it seems to stall out and get nowhere. I'd argue we need to strive to be more succinct in our lore.

I'll have to wholly disagree that RP is difficult on any level, at least in the ways you've described. You can know nothing beyond 'guns shoot bullets', as internals and mechanics are completely meaningless to RP. However, you do need to understand what you fire will do, and what armor you have/what it will stop. That's a basis for fair roleplay, and very little to ask to understand. Hell, we have an armor reference on our wiki (and a guide on bullets should be written as well)! It's just two simple things to understand for using firearms, don't feel pressured to have to understand more simply because we have some rather experienced 'gun nuts'.

I'll have to disagree that the only RP is military. While we do have a rather large and healthy group of military roleplayers, there's certainly a good deal of RP to be included outside that. Truly, I cannot offer any advice to people who say they're out of RP besides: find roleplay or make roleplay. Roleplay is always out there, it's an RP server. Not the kind of RP you're looking for? Try to start something of your own with a pal or something.

Tech? Yep, agree. It's not impossible to get energy weapons going, however, there's already a few theories of weapons that work and such. Future tech is not far out of our grasp, really. It just needs a dedicated player to write up something nice that we can all use. I do disagree with the notion that things can be chalked up to fiction entirely, however. I, at the very least, would appreciate a pseudoscience bullshit answer beyond no answer.

I'm also not with the notion that people 'shoot down ideas'. Sure, people will offer criticism and say such things as 'already done it', but that really shouldn't be enough to completely stop you, right? If you feel like you're literally being creatively discouraged, say that. I'm sure most people don't have the intent to shut down ideas and are perhaps a little carried away in the argument, rather than attacking ideas. We have a very welcoming and friendly community, I like to believe that none of us truly wish any bad on each other, and even more so that we wouldn't directly discourage each other. If you find yourself personally invested or hurt in an argument, I think it's wise to step back. Simply because, it's all about a videogame and we're all friends. It's nothing worth getting overly upset about, y'know?

And if you feel attacked or like a member is being toxic, ask them to stop. If they don't, report them. Staff will hardly intervene unless it's clear cut bullying or something, so you need to act and let them know.

But beyond all that, I'll miss ya' Scarlet. You're a good roleplayer and a cool person. I hope to see you back here sometime in the future.

7. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

Don't quit. We just need to chill yo. People gotta chill and find that line between ridiculous stuff and what's the characters choice. 40k power armor is eh but who cares if you're a glitch wielding a sword! Is cool!

8. Doc

And herein lies the issue. Haplap being completely willfully ignorant of the problem and everyone else saying to "chill out" as if ignoring said problem will make it go away. I'm taking a minor break as well because of all the issues mentioned by Scarlett. When everything is an argument or focused on conflict and combat, RP and even being part of the community isn't fun, especially when "starting something of your own with a 'pal'" is completely ignored or shot down. Beyond assuring the presence and IC consistency of my characters, I'm out until this issue is solved as well, if it ever gets solved.

9. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

If somehow you see me as ignoring this, despite my direct response, i'm not sure what to tell you. I've given my opinions on the subject many times, this is just another summary of them. But in any case, wish you luck with wherever you're going, and hope to see you return anew sometime in the near future.

10. Doc

See, all you've done is illustrate Scarlet's point further here. You say we're "all friends" and you try to convince us the problem doesn't exist, along with pretty much saying all our problems would be solved with more effort despite all our efforts being wasted from being ignored/shut down. People saying things have been done before or outright going "your idea makes no sense" isn't criticism, it's discouraging. Along with people who are convinced there's no problem, it's hard to stay interested in the server.

11. FoRgE

FoRgE Whack-A-Yak-5

I'm going to stop you two right there, you're already starting to create an argument by flinging insults about what each-other does. This isn't the place nor the time to even start, it's a goodbye thread for gods sake. Take your argument elsewhere or I'll be forced to close the thread and hand out warnings for aggravating and offensive behavior towards members.

If you have a problem with someone take it to the reports or confront the member about it, don't bash them in a thread about someone leaving.

1 person likes this.
  12. yoyohaloreach

yoyohaloreach New Member

Well it's terrible to see you go, and yes I do see some of the points you are making here very much. Hell I'm not much of a gun nut, I mean I know ammo and armor here and there. And I have an Arms Dealer character, and sometimes I get nagged at for that. Anyways I do hope you come back, it was a great experience RPing with you, and just know we'll miss you.