1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

An Actual Government and Such

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by DeltaV, Nov 25, 2014.

1. DeltaV

DeltaV New Member

Still trying to make this work; post if you're interested and I'll add you to the existing convo.

2. Sen

Sen Guest

I'm 100% sure this is against the server rules; you know, you have to start from scratch and all that retarded shit.

Unless you're a government governing 20 people on a farming village, woo.

3. Solour

Solour a dad

Neat, sounds interesting.

4. Finestein Goodlad

Finestein Goodlad Wizard Mod

To have an actual working government you'll need to atleast control clusters/terroritory that matter. It just won't really work that well.

5. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

Above all you'd need the support of people. People on the server generally suck at playing 'the man'. Most of the low-level Knights of Taranis were corrupt, most of the USCM was insubordinate and grand-standing, using their high security and weapons to push people they didn't like around. The Fleet had issues with people breaking protocol.

That's excusing the fact that the greater majority of the server's population is made up of free-lance mercenaries, vigilantes, independent scavengers and other such loners. People who often have a meta-bias against such communal entities as religions, militaries and governments. "Raw raw, fight the man."

Even a cobbled together refugee/frontier colonial government founded on principles like 'staying alive' and 'not being brutally destroyed by the vicious environments of space' are nullified by people who think that having unlimited resources in meta-space mean they don't require anything to survive with others in character.

6. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

Does not the IRL US use high sec and weapons to push people they don't like around? I live in the US, and yeaaaaah, from fox news and ALOT of dying inside, I've learned.

7. Sen

Sen Guest

You'd learn more about the world looking at your own shit than watching Fox News.

8. CaptainBritton02

That's one thing I learned.

9. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

That's what I'm talking about. The Anti-Govermnent mentality. Most people here are young, and so most people here are automatically rebellious. They dislike government because they don't understand it and aren't informed enough about it to actually dislike it beyond what their parents say or what the media tells them to dislike. They dislike religion because they don't believe in it (though statistically at least a portion of us will return to it as we get older).

Ultimately, however, you can really never have a government as strong as the U.S. in the frontier. Especially not under the current faction/colony limitations.

10. CaptainBritton02

I am not rebellious against the government itself IRL, I just am not in favor of presidential issued policies and am displeased with how they were passed in all governemental branches. All the govt needs is stable leadership and a president that listens to the will of the people.

11. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

That's what I'm talking about. I won't turn this into a political debate, but ultimately it is Congress who hold the vast majority of political power over policy and law in the United States. While the president can issue orders and push agendas, those orders can still be overturned by both the judicial and congressional branches, either through judicial ruling or congressional legislative action. The majority of presidential power is focused on foreign affairs and action through internal organizations who, in modern times, mostly act independent of the president's will. (like the EPA, FDA, etc.)

At the same time, chances are most young people won't vote despite their disapproval of the government. Etc.

The point is null and void in this case, as it mostly just means no one wants to 'support the man'. Thus all the loner mercenaries, nomadic scavengers and unstable psychopaths.

12. CaptainBritton02

Well, now that there is a new congress, maybe things will go a different way. And good on those who have started their own organizations. Also, I can't vote yet. I support and do not support the US govt, there are policies that are good, and bad, that determines my support, and I believe the idea of a government in Antares is a good experimentation if we can get the right policies made by (hopefully) good government officials.

13. Destroyer713

Destroyer713 New Member

The last thing we need is OOC bias against people because their characters aren't "good" government officials in someone's OOC opinion...

14. CaptainBritton02

I wont much care OOC, all you see IC is IC. I've had good experiences with most people, and even if they play a corrupt character IC, RPing being corrupt provides good RP. I'm not saying it must be perfect 100% of the time.

15. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Vote for me, for God King President of the Universe.