1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Alternate Characters Abuse

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Atom, Nov 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

I think, if we went with the ratio, it'd be worth fleshing out to a higher extent, but I think that'd be a good baseline to start off of. Of course, this system would require factions to actually keep track of resources and wealth to a much more specific amount, which most factions don't really do, so..

2. Atom

Atom New Member

Keeping track of your faction's assets, active players, and resources should be mandatory. The ratio would be a great starting point for NPCs/cannon fodder limitation. As long as records are kept in order no mods would need to get involved.

3. Avis

Technically, it is mandatory, but I've yet to see a faction do it, or do it well. I could be wrong, but to my knowledge, only the RA ever did such a thing.

4. Node

Node Literal Edgelord

In my experience, the actual need for this isn't really required. Avoid players and characters you don't have fun interacting with. If ultimately you don't enjoy how the majority of the server runs militia forces, then find another sort of roleplay to indulge in. If a ton of people enjoy throwaways, who are you to dictate the kind of fun those people are allowed to have?

5. Avis

The problem with this is that a good portion of the time, you can't decide to ignore people. We'll take the Outcasts, for example, who have a system regarding their attacks. When a situation merits it, they move onto a planet and harass, and players in the area are brought in. Simply walking away from a guy with a gun in your face is bad roleplay, and if you pull out the consent shield every time you get into trouble, then you gain a bad reputation OOC, as well as disrupting roleplay.
    Avoiding and ignoring factions/characters is generally bad roleplay, and is harmful to the server as it splits the community up in even smaller fractions than it already is.

6. Atom

Atom New Member

Can't avoid them when they walk into a full bar with a brand new throw away characters, get shot and their neck's sliced while not posting a reaction. Seasaver/Glory-Stab then "held a green pineapple above his head" (while holding a two-handed gun at the same time) which magically exploded when no pin was pulled or any action to the pineapple was emoted. Then went on to bitch about he didn't consent to death from all the people shooting at them and cutting his throat when he was the aggressor. At the same time he was dual-boxing with his main character in the same bar. Node please explain how this helps the RP along.

This just happened on Asani with a lot of witnesses. He actually threw the grenade too which destroyed a chunk of the bar and brought a complete halt to everyone on the planets role play. No where in the lore are Florans Jihads with no reason.

7. Sen

Sen Guest

You're ignoring the fact that you have a colony, advertised as a Hylotl colony, that openly allows Florans to walk about in a sector where Florans who like to eat Hylotl are the current dominant militant force. That's like walking down the wrong alley with a bag full of expensive electronics. It is an invitation for trouble, and whining to a moderator does not let you overcome IC consequence.

What is truly disgusting is that all these players who didn't like how the conflict went decided to void everything, using the fact that 10 blocks and a few chairs / a table was destroyed (literally a 30 second repair job) and claimed it was OOC griefing. It's like the era of the old USCM who would void all conflict that did not go their way, all over again.

8. Atom

Atom New Member

This does not justify ignoring 5 peoples actions towards you while you blow up a magic pineapple. Everyone here voids that sad attempt at RP. I understand you can come attack it cause their fish. BUT WHY WOULD THEY BLOW THEMSELVES UP WITHOUT GAINING ANYTHING FROM IT? That is a problem. If you don't see it then you should not post here. This thread is to find a solution.

9. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Nobody has a problem with people being violent on the colony, people have a problem with shitty rp, like magically pulling an already pin pulled grenade from your pocket, whilst holding a two handed weapon, and detonating it ignoring all the people trying to stop you

10. GuardianPotato

GuardianPotato New Member

Basically this.

Ninja Edit: At least those of us that don't want to BS out of any and all conflict via OOC consent blockage.

11. Optimism

Optimism Guest

Not just manpower. We need more fuel depots.

[​IMG]

12. Optimism

Optimism Guest

I can post plenty productive ideas. I just chose not to. Now I'm offended by your internet opinion. I'll take my productive ideas elsewhere.

13. JimHarrison

JimHarrison Grouchy Player

Don't ask for criticism on an idea and then immediately post something like this.

However, other than that completely legitimate point which you don't want to hear for whatever reason, howabout this, yo?
    If the consent rule remains as it currently stands - and something like this were enacted, it would just lead to more people crying about how they don't want their characters to die - not only because now they lose that character and their experiences with that character, but because they will effectively be locked out of playing on the server until a character that can replace them is accepted.

bad idea 0/10.

14. Atom

Atom New Member

The reason I stated that waiting a day or two is not a valid point as to why this needs regulations is because it is my main concern. Instant and infinite character creation with the sole purpose of filling the last cannon fodder soldiers shoes is a problem. It means no matter how many tactical kills you make against your enemy it won't make a dent. I agree that the votes for acceptance is to much for the mods to handle. Just putting some time between alts, even if its just two days would cut back on the abuse of Jihad/cannon fodder that is happening.

15. JimHarrison

In general, this is common sense and shouldn't require a rule because if somebody is doing that - they're just a bad RPer.
    In specific scenarios - like the massacre at Port Last, those sorts of cannon fodder alts are necessary for atmosphere. If that fight had gone on for two days with nobody dying then it would have been absolute shit.

16. Atom

Atom New Member

Nothing will stop people from crying about the loss of there imaginary charcters, eventually they might actually THINK like their character and use them with the idea that "hey if I do this I might have to wait a day or two before I make another Jihad". Right now there is no fear of this, which I consider a bad thing. I just want to see some balance.

#36 Atom, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014
  17. Atom

Atom New Member

I know cannon fodder troops have a place. We can enjoy combat without losing something we put time into. I'm just saying it needs to affect the group. Make them take time to recover between major battles like this. After the fight they are as strong as ever because their next alt instantly filled the spot of the characters they lost. I'm not trying to cut them out completely, just create some amount of balance. Please explain how unlimited soldiers at any time that can appear from no where help anything.

Praise Allah.

#37 Atom, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014
  18. JimHarrison

Again, yo.
    This does not require a rule. This requires shaming individual players who try to abuse the system as it stands.

19. Sen

Sen Guest

Anyway, the real killer to this idea is that it doesn't actually stop people from making awful characters.

"But Sen, if their characters do not match their application, you've stopped an awful character!"

And how do you catch someone not roleplaying their applied character? Through ingame monitoring; the exact same ingame monitoring that already exist regardless of whether character applications do or do not exist.

edit: aka, just read jim's post above me

20. Atom

Atom New Member

Not everyone abuses it but maybe you have not witnessed the mess that it leaves behind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.