1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

After-life.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tatsumi, Apr 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

So.
    Dead people bar roleplay is okay.
    Alive people bar roleplay is not okay.
    Am I doing this right?

2. Tatsumi

Tatsumi New Member

I'm too tired for this, I have no idea what you're talking about. Lmao.

3. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I wouldn't say approved.
    I don't want to rain on your parade or anything, but I feel that it shouldn't be done.

4. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

So what exactly is it that dead people would do?

5. Tallen

Tallen New Member

"If you're not having fun then you are not playing right."

This is the maxim given to me by my very first DM years ago, and the basis for all my experiences with role-playing to this very day. What is "meaningful roleplay"? Everything that is "canon"? That always progresses a story? I disagree. To me, any RP in which we learn more about our characters and how they interact with each other is also meaningful. Any rp in which people are having fun doing alongside each other, no matter how small, is meaningful. Non-canon events are good. Books and series that play upon "for want of a nail" alternate history, video games that show non-canon side stories, manga omakes of funny and unexpected situations... They are all events that are not considered 'real', but they reveal important facets about the characters that you may not ever learn in normal storytelling.

Honestly I doubt this will gain much traction precisely because it is quite an investment. Folks won't just abandon their living characters to go and play with their dead ones all the time. This will likely be a "once a week" kind of deal where you talk to someone and you both agree to meet up there. This will be a place where people go to visit and look at how it changed from different dead folks visiting it and leaving their mark. How awesome would it be for someone to rebuild a fragment of Asani? A destroyed Taranis? New Chicago? What about characters who died in their backstory who reveal more info in your character's pasts? An avian Tower in which a single ascendant waits at the top, looking down as if trying to muster the courage to make her jump, asking about her childhood friend who is right now in Antares...

Lots of time, energy and thought spent? Maybe. Is it necessarily bad? Maybe. Personally, I don't think so. Stories everywhere show non-canon events as a way to further delve into the character's psyches. This would be our own way to do it. But if folks don't agree, then fine. Ignore it. Leave it be.

6. Tatsumi

Tatsumi New Member

Couldn't have said it better.
    Kaz could you maybe think it over and talk to the other admins about it?

7. Shag

Shag High Impact Sexual Implications

[​IMG]

I think it's a nice idea, but to be honest also think it'd distract from the more 'real' rp. A lot of people would be constantly playing their favourite dead characters doing whatever the hell it is they're doing in there.

Sure, it's cool to show and see characteristics of characters which no one ever saw before. And it's awesome to play your dead characters as some sort of spectral being. But like it's been said before, we're already split up enough as it is with our own little groups.

I'm okay with this so long as it doesn't become THE hub of rp. Maybe just a place to chill at when nothing else is going on.

8. Tatsumi

Tatsumi New Member

That's the plan really, just something to do on occasion.
    The planet is currently covered ENTIRELY in clouds, a really thick layer of hills that took about 50k blocks.
    So far I've had three people help out and a lot of people give some good ideas, I'd really love to see this approved but no hard feelings if it isn't.

9. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Well, quite simply, defining any form of afterlife in the game violates other canonical beliefs.

If you want to do this RP, create a Steam/Skype group for it. It doesn't belong in the server.

I'm not approving it.

10. Tatsumi

Tatsumi New Member

I see, I just wish you would have been more clear about rejecting it from the start so me and others wouldn't have wasted so much time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.