1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

A Guide to Starcheating

Discussion in 'Modding Guides' started by Angre, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

First off, I wanna start this thread by saying that we know there are other guides about Starcheating, but they're either outdated or don't go very in-depth and leave a lot up to the individual to figure out for themselves. Well, Cole Ombre, Smokestack, and myself decided to work together to make a more updated and detailed guide on Starcheating.

It's still a work in progress and we plan on updating it as often as we can find the time to do so, but for now we've got a majority of gun editing and all of armor editing out of the way, as well as some of the other more useful features of Starcheat. We're not complete experts on the subject, so if you know something that we don't and want it added, feel free to post down below and we'll do so as soon as possible!

To save space, we won't post the guide here directly (It's already eleven pages and counting). Instead, we'll post a link to the Google document it's saved on. If you have any questions about something that isn't included, feel free to create a forum conversation with any of us or contact us over Steam.

Starcheating and Starbound Editing Tutorial - Google Docs

Feedback is welcome as well! There's a lot of info in the guide and we want to make it's easy to understand as possible. If anyone feels the guide may be too confusing or has suggestions for how to improve it, we're all ears!

My Steam profile can be found here.

#1 Angre, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2015
  2. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

3. Deadkool-aid

Deadkool-aid New Member

upload_2015-8-11_19-40-1.png
    Already tried reinstalling

4. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

Thats a "dynamic link library" file in windows, and should be fairly easy to install. I think thats less a problem of starcheat and more a missing file in your computer.

I found a site that may help you to fix the problem, as I'm not sure how I would safely be able to replicate this problem and fix it myself.
    How to fix msvcr100.dll is missing error - How-To - PC Advisor
    See if that changes anything!

5. Deadkool-aid

Deadkool-aid New Member

upload_2015-8-12_7-7-28.png

6. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

When do you get that error? Is it in installing or trying to open a character or what?

7. Deadkool-aid

Deadkool-aid New Member

Trying to launch Starcheat
    [DOUBLEPOST=1439396329][/DOUBLEPOST]I extracted Starcheat to my mods folder, tried to launch it (fixed the first error), tried to relaunch, got the second error.

8. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

Starcheat isn't a mod for Starbound. It's an external program that you use to edit your player files. You extract the file into a folder and then just click the .exe file to start it up. It accesses your playerfiles and allows you to work magic.

9. Deadkool-aid

Deadkool-aid New Member

So, it's broken because it's in my Starbound folder?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1439409240][/DOUBLEPOST]Nope, moved it. Same problem
    [DOUBLEPOST=1439423189][/DOUBLEPOST]Any fixes?

10. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

At this point I'd consider taking the problem to the Starcheat website, as they know more about the coding of the program itself than we do, and they generally answer pretty quickly.

11. Krug

Krug New Member

Trying to unpack asset, got this message "asset_unpacker.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file"

12. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

Which unpacker are you using? It's entirely possible that the command to unpak has changed since this was written. @Krug

13. Krug

Krug New Member

14. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

I highly recommend using the Modpack Helper when unpacking your assets. It's capable of packing and unpacking .modpak files as well as the game assets, and seems to still be working since the update hit.

15. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

For everyones information.
    Wizzomaffizzo is working hard on updating Starcheat.
    When it is update I will add another reply.