1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

[2/21/14] Recent Issues

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Kazyyk, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

But that's wrong, some people are okay with a wipe and some aren't. I don't want staff skimming over and thinking this is an accurate representation of what the community as a whole wants.

2. Trite

Trite New Member

I don't think most people would be against a wipe if we were 100% sure it'd fix the server. But thats the problem, were not sure, so people understandably don't want to jump the gun.

Even so I don't see why we couldn't backup worlds and reload them unless the issue was item/block related. (I think the problem is world gen related though.)

3. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

Breaking news: My character, that works just perfect on the server crashes on SP.

Maybe server's universe files are broken for some reason?

We should do a test-wipe; backup universe and delete, do a complete wipe. If random deletions stop, keep on the new universe; else, load old universe from backup.

4. Trite

Trite New Member

If this is at all possible it sounds like a good idea. Trying won't hurt.
    Given how Enraged messed with universe and world generation I wouldn't be surprised if that was the problem.

5. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

We should try, trying won't hurt and may fix it.
    Universe can be backed up probably. All files can.

Kaz should try.

6. White

White The Guy who is always working.

We should do whatever it takes to continue progressing, a wipe is prefered to continued crashing/rendering the game unplayable, then we can rebuild and carry on RPing, however world should be backed up in case a wipe does not stop the random wipe/crash/buggyness.

7. Fen

Fen Pretty ßird

Wipe everything please, Everything is gone now anyway. We can build everything up again, a fresh start. Keep a positive mind, It fun to build!... yeeeeeeey. Absolutely no offence but this server has become totally unplayable for me. If there anything we mortal people can do, please tell us Kaz.On another note, this forum has gotten A LOT slower. It takes about 3-4 minutes to load a new page. which is getting quite frustrating.

8. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

You guys...for real. A wipe will do nothing. You will rebuild...then they will be wiped away again, just like that. There is nothing we can do beyond test the exact extent of the damage caused by the update. Remain calm. Be patient.

9. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

We already have reason to believe that post patch worlds that have been built on are wiping too. (Or were before the latest hotfix, who knows if that will help) a universe wipe will then do what exactly?

There is a reason we are testing things.

10. Valor

Valor New Member

Thing is, what if the files are corrupt in such a manner that attempted recovery does absolutely nothing? :(
    If we really want to test that..best thing to do would be to back everything up and start with a fresh server install - try it for a week - and if the planets KEEP resetting then we know it's on Chucklefish's end.

There are thousands of asset files and having a handful of people test each one is near impossible. What tests are you guys doing at the moment, Twitch?

11. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

I don't actually believe this to be true. Just because some worlds have been wiped and then rewiped doesn't prove that a full clear won't fix anything. I would imagine the planets post-wipe are still slightly corrupt and unstable. I don't know how much more testing we can do at this point, we have NO idea whats causing this. It could be helpful for us to just run a fully fresh and clean server for a few days and fuck around on a couple planets to see if they get wiped.

12. Valor

Valor New Member

Beat you to it. <3

13. Aissa

Aissa Clockwork Pastry Lobster

I'm not in favor of a wipe yet. One thing that comes to mind, though, is that it'd give you a more controlled start to work from, in a galaxy completely built after all of the recent updates and hotfixes were applied. Even after a wipe, testing is still going to need to happen because even brand-new colonies are vanishing here with what appears to be no rhyme or reason (like you said). Depending on what you're testing and how you're going about it, you might get more valuable information out of results that come from a clean slate as opposed to whatevertf is going on with this patchwork of new planets, pre-update planets, a post-gen added in biome, the "celestial database," a veritable buttload of missing furniture, et al.
    It might seem drastic, but this galaxy is a variable that you guys should at least consider eliminating in its entirety.

#133 Aissa, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2014
  14. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

For the purpose of testing I agree with this. But I'd hate to see everyone get their hopes up, rebuild, then leave the server cause their stuff got wiped.

15. White

White The Guy who is always working.

It's unlikely any better on another server, why would you "leave" the server? its not like there's any better alternatives :)

16. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

Leave the server = leave the game

17. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

A test wipe isn't a bad idea. It would help us isolate the issue further.

18. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

Basically, full wipe of everything. Random deletions gone? -> Bad luck, time to rebuild, at least we can play. Still happening? -> restore world, now we know a wipe won't help.
    It's a win-win scenario.

19. Aissa

Aissa Clockwork Pastry Lobster

Plus when it comes to hopefully maybe finding a way to prevent this from happening in the future, starting fresh would make that a whole lot easier as opposed to trying to work backwards.

20. Valor

Valor New Member

Couldn't agree more.