1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Yumi's Journal Of Natural Things

Discussion in 'Character Journals' started by Kazi, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Kazi

Kazi New Member

I am going to keep this as a personal record of the worlds I visit and the plants and animals that are there.

This first entry will be some basic information on the planet I am calling Tragampha and one of the creatures found there.

================================================
    Planet name: Tragampha (this may change but it is good enough for now)
    Type: Desert
    Threat level 1
    Ample tan colored sand, sandstone, and dirt, there are also significant deposits of cobblestone.
    Evidence of Native Avian Inhabitants
    ================================================
    Creature named: Blue Wanderer
    The Blue Wanderer is a gentle creature. Currently only known to be found on this planet.

Potential a cathemeral creature as it has been observed being fairly active both night and day. Mostly solitary but has been seen in pairs, perhaps for mating purposes, though gender remains difficult to identify.

They are as tall as an average Hylotl though considerably wider, these bipedal creatures have a long bushy tail. Despite living on a desert planet they are covered in fur (somehow cooling at day and warming at night? may make nice fabric for clothing) which are two different shades of blue. While the darker blue is the predominate color the light blue seems to provide markings consistently in the following areas: Hands, tip of tail, across chest in a "W" pattern, and in 5 plumes sweeping back off their heads.

They are able to jump with ease though seem to prefer to stick to the ground.

While their exact diet is unknown by I theorize that they are grazers as they have been frequently found in our wheat patch.

They occasionally make a noise similar to that of someone trying to chew a part of something off.
    **included is a terrible sketch of the creature in question**
    =============================================================

2. Kazi

Kazi New Member

After a few failed attempts I managed to corner one of the Blue Wanderers and get some of its fur. After some experimentation I managed to spin it into yarn and make some fabric which I used to fashion a lovely kimono.

3. Kazi

Kazi New Member

Creature Name: Shell-backed Cyclopes
    The Shell-backed Cyclopes is a gentle creature. Currently only known to be found on this planet.

Nocturnal. Mostly solitary but has been seen in pairs, perhaps for mating purposes, though gender remains difficult to identify.

They are taller than an average Hylotl though considerably wider, these bipedal creatures carry a conical/spire shell around with them which appears to spin as the move though I am assuming this is an optical illusion brought on by the shape and pattern. The skin is a sort of salmon color with a large white patch on it's belly and on the pads of it's feet. In addition it also has three white globe like protrusions coming off of it's head, one on the crown and the other two where the ears of a human would be. As they seems to have no ears or nose I can only surmise that they are used as some sort of sensory organ. As the name implies, they possess only one eye, it is fairly large with long lashes to protect it from the sand.

They seem to be curious but cautious, one approached me while I was cutting trees, I thought it was alone but then noticed a second one watching further back in the shadows. Were there more that I could not see, that is uncertain, but I did not want to spook them so I did not try to flush them out. I also assume that they are very shy as I have been on this planet for some time now and this is the first that I am seeing of them.

They are able to jump with ease though seem to prefer to stick to the ground.

Their diet is unknown.

I have initially thought them to be mute but I am fairly certain that I hear one emit a noise similar to a sharp bark, however the sound was not repeated.

I am uncertain what the shell is used for, are they a tool using creature who are using it to protect a vital area? Are they actually smaller than they appear and are able to hide within the shell when their "puffed up" appearance fails to detract predators? More observation will be required.

**included is a terrible sketch of the creature in question**

4. Kazi

Kazi New Member

Excellent news journal! I finally have banana seeds! Which means only neonmelon seeds are left to find!

My first multilayered garden is almost finished and I have already started building a second one. My hopes are to eventually have one layer for each type of seed. Meanwhile my recipe collection is growing and I have already started planning my restaurant. Soon I will start scouting planets for potential locations to start building. Right now I picking out different materials for my floors and walls. Things are looking up.

True, nothing will ever replace my old restaurant, but this will be one step closer to me getting my life back together.

I miss my old life, this new one to fraught with perils, but my friendship with Angran helps. We are talking about putting down roots in one of the colonies. This will be nice, it is pretty quiet where we are, which is what I needed for a while, but now I think it is time for me to stop dwelling so much in the past and start moving forward. But I will never forget my past. The events of that day will haunt me and my dreams probably for the rest of my life.

Thinking about old times and places have made me sad again. I think I will go tend my garden for a while to clear my head.