1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

What would you like to see?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Avis, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

Hello, everyone. Change is happening a lot these last few days, and I'd like to make a list to get things going in the right direction. If people could suggest anything they'd like to see on Antares and why, it'd be great if people could go ahead and do so. It's no secret the server has been in a bit of a slump, and I'd really like to fix that if I could. The suggestion could be anything, from a rule to a server-wide event. Keep in mind going off-topic or unnecessary posting will be removed to avoid clutter.

2. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

I'd like to see tribes forming. People who just witnessed society as they know it breaking down, experienced it, and now must go without it. It's not like normal SB where you can go to a refueling station and stuff, you gotta survive off of what you got for now. There's no real infrastructure or anything anymore, since we're cut off.

I wanna see people banding together, using melee weapons /alot/ more than guns (bullets are a commodity), and making thigns with their bare hands, living on whatever planets they were plopped on.

At first that is, until we get some actual, RPed, lumber mills or someshit being set up.

3. Avis

I love that idea. I've been considering trying to do something like that, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it yet.

4. SP3CTR3

SP3CTR3 Flipping Tables at ignorance!

Instead of factions just start a tribe forum, until which time we have lots of large sophisticated tribes, then they should start becoming actual factions. Maybe ask faction leaders to do a head count, and the first time one of them passes an arbitrary number of people in the faction, say 35, then you can promote them to faction and they can post topics in their forum or some other interesting reward/ability. It's faction leveling!

5. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

35 is way too high, imo, I think it should be around... 10-15. But yeah, good idea!

6. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

I want to see technology discussed more with the community. If someone has an idea, a process, a production method, and a logical explanation I believe that they should be able to present the idea to the community and make the tech possible in Antares. Makes for uniqueness in Antares as well as adding sci-fi elements created by the players and determined by their fellow players.

More guides should be stickied to help new players as they come. This is so they have something to read in case they're ever lost in what to do. (ahem we got some great guides out there (ahem ahem like mine)). It should help if we plan on loosening up the application process.

What the server needs is a good bit of drama to pick things up. So I guess what I wanna see is a lot more drama. IC drama I mean. We had 20+ people when the Mawl bridge blew. We also reached the server limit around the time of New Tetanus with the whole funerals coming up. Something like... a server-wide catastrophe. The stages that'd happen before the anomaly. Give something people'll talk about. Give something everyone will have an interaction for.

Everyone knows that when they see two people having drama, a crowd forms. That's what gets people online.

7. Avis

What about some sort of "unifying" thing like a faction forming and maybe causing some problems? I don't mean raids and things like that, but finding some other way to be oppressive, maybe.

8. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

A faction does work well. Getting a faction group on of 5 people already increases player count, increasing player incentive to get on the server. But here's an interesting idea.

An extraterrestrial surveillance and protection network, the ESPN (hehe). They'd work like hazmat mixed with animal control and CDC. They'd have events where animals would be out needing to be captured that could either terrorize or inconvenience players. the ESPN would then try to capture said creatures for research.

Faction could incorporate other players for animal terror events, alien disease events, contamination events.

They could get all their fancy stuff later. If starting right after the anomaly, it would be like a group of scientists, researchers, hunters, and muscles that don't to shoot guns all the time that want to explore and survey the new territory.

9. Avis

I could get behind a faction very easily, really. If someone pitched an idea, I'd do whatever I could to help it out.

10. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

More solid species lore to build characters from. With some things picked from the base of what Chucklefish provided but the rest being of the 'history' of those species in the post-anomaly galaxy and fringe galaxies?
    This might also boost the population of the less popular species, I.E : Apex, Novakids, Hylotl. Thus, allows for more players. Those sections should be readable to outside eyes. Like showing the gold on a scan but they gotta dig to get it. (Apply to join = digging, being accepted and RPing = the gold)

11. Corvus

Corvus New Member

I think that one way to increase action on the server is more broadcasting. Chat that expands past the boundaries of planets, even if it's just conversation between characters, can increase player interaction quite a bit. Obviously, this comes down to the players, but I'm confident that we can increase the amount of face-to-face and radio communication this way.
    Not to mention, distress signals and contracts tend to drive further RP.

12. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Not seeing this happen, besides. Got /w for these sort of things when talking over long distances. Because would you enjoy seeing large texts going by during your planetary RP? I sure would not.

13. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

I like the idea of the tribe thing, but more along the lines of everyone in the server is on one of two sides. Kind of like rival gangs. They all banded together initially, and for the most part you just hang with your tribe, but every now and then the other tribe tries to raid or loot your area, and you have to drive them out. I dunno.

Also, if the anomaly does go through, and we're all transported, I think melee weapons are going to become a lot more popular, seeing as the only bullets people brought with them are going to be whats on them. So not many when faced with a whole new existence.

Serverwide events as well. They don't have to be big. Like back when every now and then you would just see something in the chat box like *a shooting star streaks through the sector* or the like. Start small, work your way up.

14. Avis

I really think the mini server events would be cool. Just something to make the universe seem like SOMETHING is going on, even when nothing is

15. Corvus

Corvus New Member

That's a very good point. I hadn't really thought of that, especially since planetary RP in colonies can already be somewhat annoying with the small Starbound chat system.

Much of this is made up of the propositions of players, and I really hope that we can continue on these. I think that there's a lot of fresh energy with the new Regents, and we should really keep that going. It may be beneficial to keep this thread active, at least for the next few days, to encourage discussion of new ideas and drive movement toward plotlines. I hope I can be around to contribute to this soon.

16. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

While plotlines are important, they always feel as a short-term boost.
    I believe that the focus should lie in creating solid lore histories where the current community stands behind to get more people in.