1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

What made you choose your character?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wingfighter, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Wingfighter

Wingfighter New Member

What made you choose your character? Why did you decide on the race, gender, age, personality, profession, etc. Did you base it off a movie character, is it related to something in your life?

Personally, I only made Bork because the default Hylotl ship looked neat, even though I built him a custom one barely a month later. I decided to make him a pilot because, well, I like spaceships. Now that I think about it, not much thought has really gone into my characters. What about you peeps?

#1 Wingfighter, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2017
  2. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

I picked human because I'm boring.

I named him Cullen, after Cullen Bohannon from Hell on Wheels. His middle name is Delatour, which is Bill's middle name from King of the Hill. Fontaine because he is a Frenchie-American from a backwater planet who is barely educated and considers himself a business mogul.

I wanted to sell drug and drug accessories. Now I sell phones. Buy a PMD plz.

3. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

Greg is just how I made him. I didn't have any plan for him when I picked I just went with whatever I felt like at the time. His name was 'Awe' originally but I didn't like it and changed it to Greg Richards for no reason other than that's the name I thought of.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

I made Zigs to be a sweet, innocent magpie/hunter-gatherer. There once was a time when he would shy away from others' flirts. He was always supposed to be a true neutral, not really giving a shit about what was 'right' or 'wrong.' He wanted to steal because it was fun and only look out for the people that treated him right.

But then he got responsibilities. And a family. :L

5. Arcullis

Arcullis New Member

You could always

TAKE THE LIVES OF YOUR FAMILY AND SACRIFICE THEM ALL TO HIM

6. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

Sarah literally started as a foundation. Her main traits in the beginning were that she was an expert pilot, a loner, a drunk, a Christian, and a diehard American/Earth loving human being. I played a Floran before her, and I decided it wasn't fun because she lacked true character, true substance. Hakachi couldn't develop much, because she was a ravaging, violent Floran. However, as many people could probably agree, Sarah has developed insanely since when she started out. Maybe not for the best, as she's gone through some pretty rough shit and come out a bit bruised and battered, but she's developed, and I think that's cool.

7. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

Acacia was supposed to start out as a character-based manifestation of my happy side (which admittedly is the minority but it's there). She ended up being the server's resident doctor, Cherry Birb and friendly helper when it was needed. And is now a bottle of ashes.
    Everybody else I play was just joke characters which mostly turned out to be interesting, rounded characters.

8. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Tsuyoshi was supposed to be a fun and intrigueing Hylotl hailing from the mysterious Hylotl Empire.
    Turned out to be a armour wearing weeabo that gets ignored most of the time.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

It's not your fault. People tend to ignore traditional hylotl because they're ICly annoying. Traditional hylotl insist their culture is the pinnacle of civilization, and nobody wants to hear that shit.

10. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Even though I dont do the insisting of their culture crap. Thats some major plothole to make other species dislike Hylotl, imo.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

Unfortunate, but that's how races view the fish. Like humans only worship themselves, their money, and their guns. Florans only care about stabbing, birds only squabble back and forth about their fake prophet, Glitch talk funny, Apex are for some reason almost always ex-miniknog (although that appears to be changing and I'm giddy.) Novas are alright, I reckon.

12. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

If only it'd be turned into something less severe to allow for more Hylotl. I really like'em and sometimes certain Flightless are worse.

13. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

I made Skarti because I wanted to troll edgelords.

For realises though, he ended up being a rather complex character. I am glad.

14. John_McFakename

John_McFakename New Member

Robot knight in space, because robot knight in space.

Also retrying the SpaceNapoHitler-hat.

15. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

I don't quite remember the reason why I chose my first character, DuskFeather. He was likely just the simplest character I could come up with, a completely blank slate. When I first started out on Antares, I was completely new to RP and my character was quite cringe-worthy. Thankfully, after some time of observing others I began to improve massively, I retconned the past stuff, and my character's traits actually developed from my own poor roleplay abilities. What was an inability to think up emotes on the fly turned into an intense fear my character had during combat that prevented him from really doing anything other than cower in terror. That changed gradually as my emoting abilities began to develop and, ICly, he began to overcome his fears with help from his friends. Despite Dusk having been a bit of a feathersuit, I still remember those early days fondly; They were good times.

16. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

[​IMG]

17. Raideck

Raideck Member

I made Raideck because SPACE PIRATES

I made Gerik as a joke at first trying to make a dumb punk rocker but through the Outcast saga he really gained a lot of character.

Borish is my attempt at making a militaristic government but no one cares because people are uncaring.

18. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

I like how most of these are 'I dont know what I was thinking or doing and then the character got depth and became great'

19. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

These arent getting fun anymore, I'm just trying to RP as a traditional Hylotl. I ended up becoming a stigma.

20. Alaystus

Alaystus Resident Art Bum
    Staff Member

Alaystus was my first and favorite character. They were an embodyment of my teenage wonder, lust for adventure, and need for romance. Subsequently, they had many overpowering flaws. For instance, Alaystus was an insanely fast learner- they could pick up anything from bartending, to instrument playing, to welding in a matter of hours. I have since then rounded out my characters, balancing them to the best of my ability. Ever since they died, I haven't had as strong of a connection to Antares as I once did. I've gone through a bunch of characters, none of which could hold water. Another one was killed, most others were abandoned as I lost interest. One of the main draws to Alaystus was trying to fit into both cultures, struggling between the clash of modern society and Floran tradition. They were fairly intelligent for their age and species, and liked to make friends in society. That also meant they were willing to steal and kill in order to please Nurora Stab-Dancer. Overpowered in many ways, but incredibly complex.

Casey, "Ace" Jones is probably the only other character I am willing to keep, even after I thought I was going to throw him out. He is very guarded and has a lot of insecurity, but can be courageous. I wanted a rough, no-nonsense thug, and what I got was a distant, yet dependent law-abiding bartender. Well, law-abiding for the most part. He's broken and battered, and for the most part alone. His memories are a blur now, since it's been months since I played him. Although... since the fall of Taranis, his quality started to drop. He stopped seeing Aubrey Flak as much, and as much as everyone hated Aubrey, he and Ace made a nice contrast.

Sorry for rambling off, it's not exactly /why/ I made my characters anymore, is it? Ah, well. Most of the chracters I scrapped were only ideas, and they couldn't hold water for too long. But I have two, now. I'll try to keep it that way.