1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

What is money worth? Let's talk about pixels!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ErinKeen, Jul 9, 2015.

1. ErinKeen

ErinKeen New Member

In short, how much is a pixel worth? What are some common prices?

I'm from the USA, so I'm inclined to think "Well, 1 pixel is $1." but this may not be the case. I understand that prices may vary from locale to locale, but since it seems to be a "universal" currency, there's no real exchange rate to take into consideration. So, what is the bang for my buck?

2. Aiko

Aiko The Coolest Cat

It's generally accepted that 1 pix = 1 USD

3. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

As mentioned we normally stick with a pixel is a dollar, for simplicity sake.

4. ErinKeen

ErinKeen New Member

Alright, sweet. That in mind, how much would something like a starship cost? (I'm not buying one, just wondering.) What are some other prices that we'd find in the Starbound universe that we can't steal from the real world (such as a plasma rifle)?

5. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Generally varies from person to person. General money for a ship depends on the size and sort. I know I consider most ships to be expensive, not only to buy but to upkeep.

Weapons will range highly too, as we have quite a few weapon crafts in server who sell goods.

6. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

For ships, I work that 25,000-50,000px would be a light corsair, or a single-man vessel with general rooms for upkeep. 100,000-400,000px would be a medium-vessel that would require a crew and has many rooms. Likely equipped with weaponry or more sophisticated technology. 500,000px+ would be large-vessels that would need an even larger crew and be the equivalent of a cruise ship.

For weapon sale, I base it off of actual weapon prices. If it is future weapon tech, like a laser rifle, I'd take an assault rifle's cost, eyeball an amount to be deducted, add the price of a high voltage battery, and copper wiring. Then add cost of production. Typically I would sell future weapons for 1,500 to 1,750 px. That's just me.

Assault rifles would generally cost 1,000 to 1,500 dollars in real life. I would either mark up or mark down depending on how old or how advanced the new kinetic rifle is.

I tend to just google prices, then add and subtract, and form a price that reasonable.

7. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

I swear to god, these posts pop up every month or two, and the same result gets posted. We gotta like, add this shit to the rules or something man.

8. SP3CTR3

SP3CTR3 Flipping Tables at ignorance!

Oooh, that gives me an idea...Frohman, you really gotta take a chill pill and calm that ADD and Tourettes you have going on. I feel like you can't help but swear at every thread that comes out.

9. Doctor Frohman

Aight. I'll work on that a bit more then.

10. ErinKeen

ErinKeen New Member

Yeah I imagine that must get annoying. Sorry. But if it's such a common question, then why hasn't anyone put it up as an FAQ? (Or am I just a moron who hasn't checked the FAQ yet.)

11. Doctor Frohman

I have no clue.

12. ErinKeen

ErinKeen New Member

Well there you go: there may be a solution to your problem.

13. Doctor Frohman

If only someone were to fix said problem.
    COUGH COUGH Moderators put it up on the FAQ please COUGH

14. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Someone actually checked the FAQ.

Jig is up boys, leg it.

15. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

People can submit their own questions to the FAQ. That'd help a lot. Although I took the FAQ down from the navbar a while back to revamp it, but never quite got around to finishing it. Since nobody ever checks the FAQ, I'd like to compile all it's information into a giant thread which would hopefully get checked more often, since the first place people seem to go is the Information forum.