1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Two Character ideas for you to Examine

Discussion in 'Character Discussion' started by Ripley, May 27, 2015.

1. Ripley

Ripley New Member

Well I've had a few ideas for new characters for a while, two are nice but i would love to rp as something kinda different. I've gotten ideas from books, anime, games, movies, a crap ton of ones. Here's the two most interesting to me

Quindo - This guy/gal(idk) was inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy, Basically a cybernetic biotic penguin, it would only make sense for him to have been brought into existence by some seriously genius/horrid/crazy person. From there on he would be a companion or ex cape this person or just outright knife the guy/girl. Course he has differences from the raccoon. but that can be determined later.

Void- inspired by Warframe and the Novakids. She's like the Tenno(Guy or girl?) a being that controls a suit that is mostly a base for technology, meaning interchangeable tech on him/her. Now i know i hear it now, "Tenno are super space ninjas of awesomeness, rping as that would be super op!" Well yes you are right they are meant to be like that except they are honor bound by rules. these set of rules would govern every action and prevent IT from doing OP shit. Also IT won't be as OP as Tenno, the suit mods will determine what he can do. I vision this being as a attempted cross of a Novakid and other races, in a attempt to create a "Supreme Race" of sorts by the Minikog or another race leader. Only for it to develop its own principles and decide what they were doing was wrong, killing them all and escaping.

Would like yins' opinion on theses. I'm open to all suggestions, insults, compliments, and advice. Though threats are a bit much..

2. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

I typically don't support using penguins in Antares. This is mainly because no one takes them seriously. They're also very very uncommon and the biological restrictions (their musculature) makes having them be cybernetic questionable on grounds of "How did you do that?!". Then again, I'm just being cynical. People will likely act differently. My main concern is still that penguins are uncommon, so they'll be treated a lot differently.

I have no doubt that you'll try to strictly follow a set of rules like the Tenno. But rules do not prevent a character from being OP. It's human nature to bend rules a little. Even subconsciously. I always find suit mods to be a dangerous area. Unless you have a post that you present to every person detailing the suit's capability (which is a hassle in itself) people will feel like you're pulling something out of your ass. For example, if I have a super suit that has a glove plasma cannon. Imagine if I'm getting mugged. I raise my hand and fire the hand cannon. OOC argument ensues. But if we're sticking closer to Warframe, it might be alright. Space cyborg ninjas are just difficult to get right without being a little bit powergamey which is bad.

I really don't like saying ideas are bad. So I just laid out what I'd be concerned about when I see things in the game.

3. dukeminiman

dukeminiman New Member

This is a biiiittttttt different from your original idea. But if you really want to RP a character with a suit, one way that you could do it is to maybe say that the original intention for the suit was industrial work. And by that I mean that most of the things that would be used as weapons would feel a little bit more improvised, for example instead of having a gun mounted on your arm, you could have a welding torch or a saw. If was designed for industrial labor, it would also probably be slow which would provide an obvious disadvantage, making it harder to be called OP. It could still be heavily armored and such, but you would have to have weapons that were either improvised, or were added on later.....actually....it might even be fun to start out with just the original non-weaponized version, and then slowly upgrade it into what you want. I don't know if this would conflict with the backstory that you were wanting to use, but I hope it gave you some ideas. Also if you're wanting to run an event to introduce the character then I'd be willing to help you out

4. Solour

Solour a dad

why even ask for the approval? If you think you can properly tone-down the cyborg-ninja, go for it! Anyone and everyone could say no. But what's it to them, if you can properly roleplay a Novakid Tenno? If there's obvious downsides, to compliment the good; then head right down the path of ninjas. realistically; as soon as the suit's punctured, you're as good as dead. I personally like the idea. And all that
    [​IMG]

5. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Sorry to be a character breaker but.. theres the following..

Cant play a penguin.
    Sure, the species is in-game. But is not selectable by vanilla choice. For this reason, server staff decided it is impossible to play as a penguin.

6. dukeminiman

dukeminiman New Member

To respond to Clem's comment. While you can't a penguin simply because you want to, you can play one provided that you get permission from the staff. At least that's how it used to be, the rule could've changed without me realizing it

7. Cannibal_Kon

Cannibal_Kon New Member

There are penguins on the server. A player I talked to had gotten special permission from staff to create a penguin character. It would require a bit of work to get items to work correctly with them, but if OP has the will, there is a way.

8. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Havent met any penguins myself.

9. dukeminiman

dukeminiman New Member

Shark comes to mind, he's been on the server on and off for a while now

10. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

I think you could make more interesting characters without needing to jump through hoops and get staff permission.

11. Ripley

Ripley New Member

Great Stuff!
    The event sounds awesome and would love to fit it in with backstory, the Tenno person would be designed and made for mostly stealth, not head on super Final fantasy tanking.

Its alright, thanks for the great info, I agree that Tennno guy/gal most likely be OP, he'll start with his base suit ,abilitys and have things modded later on, i'll tone it down so he or she isn't flying through places on the walls like Sanic. I am interested in playing a character being treated vastly different so kinda hope that happens. And he was made into the thing, so he was most likely not done in by his own penguins

Again, almost nothing is set in stone, already changed quite a few things with theses comments. Great help these are.