1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

The Journal of a Rebel Without a Cause

Discussion in 'Character Journals' started by Felonious, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

[Welcome, User. Please provide Username and Password.]
    ---<:: return_user: TITAN ::>---
    ---<:: Password: ********** ::>---
    [Access Granted. Reviewing logs.]
    [All prior logs corrupted. Chances of recovery: Null without professional intervention.]
    [Logs to be saved or dumped?]
    ---<:: /dump_logs ::>---
    [Confirm y/n?]
    ---<:: y ::>---
    [Logs dumped. Beginning new log.]

I've set up a camp somewhere in the beta sector. Mostly jungle, foliage is good for cover. The precipitation is highly corrosive, though. Good for deterring unwanted guests, not as good for growing food that isn't native and drinking. I need a water filter and a PH regulator. The pipes and metal I salvaged will withstand the acid, but without that purifier I'm pretty much screwed. I'll have to import water. That's damn expensive for the rates I want it and time consuming since my vessel doesn't have any efficient way to carry any fluid but fuel.

Beyond that I'm in need of a stationary surface comm system. The old satellite dish is missing some important things if I want to be able to broadcast a signal without an orbital Comm Relay. I could keep it running if I can get a good enough deal. Then there's UV lights to replace the ones I have installed, need something more efficient and replacement bulbs.

Finally a functional generator. The one I have running the place is just enough to keep a few lightbulbs on. Nevermind run the entire damn comm system, treatment plant, whatever additions I try to add. New Uganda has become too much a risk. Two close calls not counting my encounter with Snow-Foot. I'm gonna back off the place, maybe start finding salvage elsewhere, try to trade for pixels. If I can find Snow-Foot again, I'll try to deliver the spare fuel. If not... well... Hopefully Ape isn't watching him closely.

Should think about a more comfortable bed.

[Saving Data, thank you TITAN.]
    [Encrypting Data to Jester Protocol.]
    ---<:: sign_out_user: TITAN ::>---
    [Ending Session. Stay safe, TITAN.]

2. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

Welcome, User. Please provide Username and Password.]
    [1 log accounted for. Would you like to access it? y/n]
    ---<:: N ::>---
    ---<:: COMMAND: /CREATELOG ::>---
    [Beginning new log]

Seems my seller is a lost cause. Not sure what to do. The camp is too good a find to just abandon, but the time it would take to salvage up the things I need? Might as well try to find housing on a colony. Don't like that, no. Not safe. I know there was a recent Miniknog presence here, and they don't just up and leave. Especially if they don't get what they want. Safer to keep the camp running on low power. Probably for the best, less noticeable. More expensive to me, of course. Self-sustaining would be far better. But I can try to make things work until I get what I need.

The quadrant's decent. Decent. The people here are anarchists for the most part. Seeming not to care or want for anything more than the ramshackle village of Asani and the prefabricated dens of Wayward. If they do want more, they don't really show it. No, there is little ambition for more than the next drink, or the next opportunity to swing one's gun around. That's fine. That's good for me. Keep smiling, play the accordion and listen closely. That's what keeps you alive around here.

Although, I did seem to wander upon some kind of public execution half-through. Some poor Avian, probably took a piece of bread or something. Didn't really stick around to find out. Better that way.

End Note: Some musician with a strange metal drum. Never seen it before. Should try to ask him about it again, or maybe buy it off him? Like the sound.

[Total files encrypted in this format: 2]

3. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

Welcome, User. Please provide Username and Password.]
    [2 logs accounted for. Would you like to access it? y/n]
    ---<:: N ::>---
    ---<:: COMMAND: /CREATELOG ::>---
    [Beginning new log]

This place is weirding me out. I am constantly looking for suppliers and businesses and in return am constantly being reminded that this is a frontier, such things don't exist... But shouldn't they? I mean... Towns don't build themselves. Where do you get stone to lay the streets? If you don't use stone, where do you manufacture metals and plastics and glasses for more modern buildings? How do they have a functioning economy with just an inn.

For that matter, how is the inn functioning? They don't have time to set up a mine or build a town fucking hall, but they have whiskey leaking out their assess. Where do they make that shit? Sure as hell can't be getting shipments from any of the central empires. Earth isn't economically stable, the Miniknog rarely trade externally, Avian booze is shit, and so on. I am reminded time and time again that this is a frontier, and yet things never add up. Maybe they get their supplies by looting dead settlements? But where did those settlements get their things?

If this is a frontier there should be signs of it. Settlements started from the ground up. Made from the essentials. There should be supply stores, town halls, trade posts, outposts. Mines, farms (Diverse farms. How everyone on Asani doesn't die of malnutrition with just rice is beyond me.), HOUSES, a fucking quarry? They don't even have a damn graveyard, for all the violence that goes on. Probably just burn the bodies. Or feed them to the Florans.

I'm starting to think I need to get the fuck out of here. I don't have anything to do, no reason to be here without a Miniknog presence to counteract. Besides, this place isn't a frontier, it's a bad western movie where there's just a saloon and a bunch of gunhappy bandits.

[Total files encrypted in this format: 2]