1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

The Influence of the Council

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EyesofMarch, Mar 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

So, like, we're in the midst of Council Space, yet surprisingly I've never seen any Council security forces, nor have even read any Council laws. What do these guys even do? Half of us on the frontier are starving, or being forced into 'camps' like Monolith! What's the point of a Council if they can't even help us? I mean, I just flew in from the Markaran Sector a few months ago, looking for some 'frontier' adventure here, but it seems like a post-apocalyptic shitstorm took place here. At least in the Markaran Sector we got some independent planetary governments that work together, trade, all that stuff, outside the influence of the Council. And at least we have food shipments, medicine, and actual law!

What's the deal?

- Frank Doran

_________________________________________________________________________________

(( Not Sarah, just a random name to create conversation ))

2. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

We're out on the outer edges of the Council-Space area. They hardly have any influence out here, I think they ignore us because we're too far away to manage easily or something. They still poke their heads in from time to time to keep up appearances, but it's nothing serious. If you want an actual government, head in closer to the core or something.
    -BigRed01

3. TrashHound

Frank has a point. Our so called government doesn't govern us in the slightest. There hasn't been very much, if ANY interaction between us and them, and honestly if the council is too busy to watch over there own territory it shouldn't be called council space, because it's not. It's Just another chunk of lawless space, no different from Antares.
    - MetalSalad

4. November

November Previously Sermane
    Staff Member

We get to enjoy large amounts of autonomy at the cost of actually having to take care of ourselves, not that bad. The bonus of being in "Council Space" is if shit really hits the fan, there's a chance we get outside help. Not a bad deal, if you ask me.

-P.H.

5. Node

Node Literal Edgelord

If I may participate in the discussion.

Council Space has receded its control from the area since the Antares incident. Since the area was heavily populated by refugees, who were perceived to be "lawless criminals", Council has pulled back. Continued use of the name Council space is really more a formality than anything, since they will cherry pick incidents to get involved in our business. Such as the raid on Upside.

And I have heard that Markaran is lovely this time of star cycle. I really would love to visit some time.
    -H010N

6. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

Well, that just seems like a crock of shit to me. They don't give much care for the region but feel free to expand their influence into it regardless? I'd at least hope the Human Councilor would send some supplies to the region for human refugees, but I guess since the United Systems is all tucked safe on Mars and Venus the rest of us can go to hell.

Also yeah. If anything, I recommend visiting New Phoenix. Mostly human, plus the population just hit two million. Probably one of the largest colonies in the local galactic quadrant. A little rough on tourists however; since have their own standing military now.

- Doran