1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

The Floran Predicament

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by Toadkid1234, Sep 2, 2014.

?

Should I bring back the HKC?

1. No, thanks!

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Yeah, and keep its old ways of love and kindness for anyone except evil people!

9 vote(s)
    18.4%
  3. Yeah, and make it Anti-Uncivilized Floran!

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  4. Yeah, and make it Anti-All-Floran!

20 vote(s)
    40.8%
  5. I would like to participate in this.

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. I would NOT like to participate in this, just watch.

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. Jim Harrison

25 vote(s)
    51.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

Recently the problem of the nature of most Floran has finally come to a head, as proven by the fiery forum postings. People are beginning to take sides on the Floran debate, and I think there is an opportunity here.

Previously I attempted to start the HKC which would have eventually turned against all uncivilized Floran. Unfortunately I tried to do it all myself and it fell apart because I got busy. I am willing to bring it back from its grave, with a few tweaks and such, if there is enough community representation approving such a thing. Could start an entirely new faction too, but considering Hylotl are the Floran number one enemy it seems appropriate that the Hylotl be the ones doing something about it.

What do you guys think about this idea? Burn it? Like it? Wanna hop on and join the ride? Dont care? If this is gonna happen I'm gonna need people willing to work with me from all sides of the spectrum, both ICly and OOCly (with planning and such). Feel free to post your thoughts.

2. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

Technically speaking, I'd say Floran-Alien tensions are at an all-time low. The only reason there's doubt at all is likely OOC bias and Florans who are actually Humans in disguise as Florans so they can play the species card. It's a common predicament. Most of our "Civilized" Florans shed literally ALL of their Floran traits, don't have the urges normal Florans have, don't have the mentality or behavior most have. Most are raised by another species in order to provide a loophole (genetics are tougher than that, guys.)

3. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

If this is going to happen, it'll have to be all or nothing. None of this "Civilised floran" talk.

4. Spinach Pirate

Spinach Pirate The Adorable Spinach

I would like people finally trying to rid the universe of this floran menace, it would make for some good RP

5. skipi

skipi New Member

The Outcasts already take a rigid stance against uncivilized Florans, if that means anything.
    an alliance between criminals and a hylotl supremacist group could be interesting, though

6. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

If the general consensus agrees, then sure. Ray likes civilized Floran and thinks they have a chance right now, but minds can be changed.
    EDIT: Possibly the HKC could start out with being just anti-uncivilized Floran and then after a while they morph into an anti-all-floran thing because they're all too dangerous and even the most civilized ones have carnal desires and stuff. Anti-all floran, in my opinion, might be less well received by the community and justified than, say, anti-feral floran.

#6 Toadkid1234, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014
  7. GuardianPotato

GuardianPotato New Member

I personally love the idea. Its about damn time someone took a stand against dem florans. (Even if Felith will want to kill them IC)

8. DeltaV

DeltaV New Member

I like it, though this is coming from the guy who wrote, like, two pages about this kind of thing yesterday.

9. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

But then you'll have to decide what a "civilised floran" actually is, and then it'll just become a bureaucracy, not a crusade. Not to mention 99.9% of floran PCs would identify themselves as "civilised floran" so even if you did think of an effective means of classification, it would then just be a crusade against NPCs.

...there's also the fact that "civilised floran" to the degree they are presented on the server don't exist anywhere in the lore (Greenfinger being the sole exception) but that's another story altogether.

10. GuardianPotato

Yeah, that is an admitable problem, but not one that can be dealt with easily. Best we can do is work around it.

11. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

REVIVAL

12. Biscuit

Biscuit New Member

If you're going to go Anti-Floran, you have to go all the way. Even Quickclaw has her moments of bloodthirst. In fact, she's struggling a lot ICly with controlling the urge to kill. In fact, she's even struggling with cannibalism as well, something she got hooked on while being used as a Gladiator warrior by another Tribe. She's not safe, despite her intelligence and literacy. She could be even more dangerous if she gave into her... Well, cravings.

13. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

I have come to a possible conclusion. What the HKC would do is publicly declare something to the effect that they are trying to weed out (heh) all the Floran with carnal, Floranlike impulses, and give the ones with potential a chance, thus being more appealing to those who are worried about their extinction. In reality, any Floran that surrenders himself is subjected to rigorous testing pushing them to their limits, and any slight glimpse of bloodlust or the aforementioned impulses immediately qualifies the Floran as unsafe and must be mercy-killed. This is because it would attract better public support than "lets kill all of em", and still carry out the mission of pursuing ultimate peace through might that the HKC upholds. Also, I dont want Ray to be a merciless killer. He wants a rapid forced reform, not an extinction.

What are your thoughts?

14. GuardianPotato

So much yes. But take care as to keep the "testing" and "Mercy-killings" secret, or all dem billies might- you get the point. This'll have to be done VERY carefully to prevent it from crumbling.

15. DeltaV

DeltaV New Member

Here's some suggestions for how we start off:
    - In secret, start paying anyone who captures a video or audio clip of a Floran assaulting, stealing, committing crimes in general, and for the location of any Floran settlements (IE NPC-ville) that people come across. Videos for propaganda, settlement locations for counter-genocide genocide and bargaining chips.
    - Contact some of the faction leaders, sit them down, discuss the concept of allowing Florans into their colonies/factions/whatever. Even if they refuse, we can say that we tried to do things peacefully.

There are, of course, two issues:
    1. How many colony leaders are actually going to let us go onto their jurisdiction and take away Florans for "testing"? If we do it in the dead of night, we're the criminals.
    2. The C-word: That's right, "consent". How many Floran characters are going to consent to being "mercy-killed", when the overlap of "People playing violent florans" and "billies" is rather high?

I agree that this needs to go pretty all-out - my way-too-lengthy-posting character in particular is understandably revenge-seeking for the whole 'destruction of the planet' thing. If you want to keep Ray somewhat out of that kind of stuff, we can always do it behind his IC back.

16. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

I'm not sure how the testing mechanic will work if put into play. There are a couple of variables that come to mind.
    1) Duration of testing
    How long it takes the test to be carried out. Could be a short simple blood sample thing, check their genetics for the specific genes, if it is hereditary (which I'm assuming it is, could very possibly be non-genetically based). Also could give them a droplet of Hylotl (or another species) blood, assuming this would trigger some frenzy-esque thing in a feral floran. Other end of the spectrum is numerous situation-based tests. For example, the Floran is starved and left alone in a room with an unarmed hylotl. Maybe the Floran is given alcohol and made drunk in the room with the Hylotl, making him less prone to intellectually-based decisions and therefore testing his nature. Havent given it nearly as much thought as I will should situations be used, but you get the picture.
    2) Intensity of testing
    How far we push the subject to their limits, what limit they are to be classified as civilized. For example with the example I used in the previous one, how long of a time are they starved for? Even a human would probably go cannibalistic after a certain time.
    3) Selection Method
    How we extract them for testing. Do we just parade into a bar and say 'Yo floran, youre up'? Would it be a private thing? If not, how would it be publicly justified? Dont really know how this would work.

Regarding your advice, Delta/V...
    1. How many colony leaders are actually going to let us go onto their jurisdiction and take away Florans for "testing"? If we do it in the dead of night, we're the criminals.

I'm thinking we might, if the colony leaders refuse, attempt an undercover black-ops type thing. Granted, we would be breaking law, but A) It could be done without IC consent of leadership, and therefore the administration doesnt know about the abductions, only those abducting. Reasons for this could be a possible bounty for each Floran brought in for the test. If not, then that colony could become a spot for Floran to hide, affecting the social aspect of the colony and making things interesting.

2. The C-word: That's right, "consent". How many Floran characters are going to consent to being "mercy-killed", when the overlap of "People playing violent florans" and "billies" is rather high?

This is probably the biggest problem, as it always has been, and is difficult to solve. Consent is a necessary thing, I know, but nonetheless I hate it. Especially with this mercy-killing thing, with the Floran basically being trapped and having no logical possibility of escape, that would be a sucky way for a character to go. I know if I were a Floran character I would not want to be killed in a shiny white room by a needle, or killed anywhere or in any instance that isnt dramatic. Could be NPCs we'd be killing for the most part but thats kinda tacky.

There are a lot of ways to go about this, and frankly the easiest way is sounding like an all-out kill them all fest. I really dont want to be the only one leading this, with school and such. If any of you out there want to help in organizing this, TELL ME. I will gladly share this responsibility.

17. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

Seaguard approves.

18. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

All you kids interested in planning this in detail send me a PM and I'll add you to our little chat. This will be used for public discussion and seeing how everyone likes our propositions and such.

19. Switchback

Switchback Iss likess fissh eyess~!

why does this make me angry! DX I shouldn't be angry! i can just not participate but it makes me angry! ;~;

20. Solour

Solour a dad

YEAH, KILL EM' ALL, GOTTA KILL EM' ALL.