1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

The Council

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Angre, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Antares is now a part of Council-governed Space! What does this mean? Well, to explain, first you need to know what "The Council" actually is...

After a number of sightings of planets apparently being attacked by a beast similar to the one that destroyed earth, the prominent races of the galaxy began to recognize the threat of the tentacle beast more and more. Eventually an apex deep-space probe began to send back reports of an innumerable amount of betentacled worlds, ravaged and changed by the creature. The Council consists of seven representatives, one for each of their galaxy's major species, and is tasked with the organization, coordination and collaboration of the galaxy's citizens to best defend against the looming tentacle threat.

After a lengthy discussion, the council's first action was to create a list of interstellar, interspecies laws so as to easily coordinate and govern their combined forces. These laws are as follows:

• Adhere to local laws and regulations.

• All sapients are to be given equal respect.

• Unwarranted acts of aggression are not to be tolerated.

• To murder another sapient is the greatest of crimes.
    Following the infection of the Antares sector, many of its inhabitants fled to Council Space for protection against the growing threat. Preferring the freedom of no government but still seeking protection, the refugees chose to settle on the outskirts of Council Space, where they would be bothered little by law enforcement officials.

Council Q&A
    Q: Who controls the council?
    A: The staff will. We'll use them to create events and expand the server's roleplay beyond the Antares sector. If you have any ideas for events involving the council, feel free to send us a PM.

Q: Are council laws official IC server laws?
    A: Yes and no. While they're something all characters should know, it's entirely up to the characters to decide what laws to follow. Whether it be council laws, colony laws, or their own moral compass.

Q: Does this mean if I do less-than legal stuff, I'll get busted by the space police?
    A: That depends, The council can't be everywhere, running a drugs lab or something equally dubious will generally go unnoticed unless someone reports it directly to the council, even then a response is unlikely as they have more important things to do.

Q: Can my colony call on the council for resources?
    A: Sure you can, just send one of the mods an in-character PM requesting assistance from the council and we'll sort it out.

Q: What about the Terran Protectorate from the actual Starbound lore?
    A: The terran protectorate is (in our opinion) a lazy peace-and-love space police faction run by humans. We have little plans to incorporate, or even acknowledge the protectorate in future.

Q: Isn't this just the story of Mass Effect?
    A: Pretty much, yeah.

Q: Can I be Commander Shepard?
    A: No.

Q: I thought Antares was a frontier, what's changed?
    A: Nothing. It's still antares, now it's just antares with it's own lore.

Q: This sucks! I want to complain!
    A: Then do so here. Feel free to post any criticizes, questions, complaints, or concerns right here in this thread and a staff member will reply when available.

Q: Can I make a character involved with or part of the council?
    A: Usually, no. On special occasions we'll allow certain characters by request.

Q: My question isn't on the list!
    A: Then ask it in this thread!

Council members

Sanchi Clearwater - This Hylotl won the position in a democratic ballot, chosen for her political views, onscreen charisma, and artistic skill. She is often seen glaring at Chief Preystalk from across the table.

Stargazer Itzel - Quiet and calculating, this aging stargazer uses few words where others rely on many. Even among the avian, the time she commits to prayer is viewed as excessive.

Representative Carcer Holtz - This apex is hard and blunt. A lifetime of morality represented by the volatile and firm action of the MiniKnog has left an impression on this one, making him very direct and seemingly heartless. There is no room for emotions where duty is concerned.

Vice Admiral Jefferson - A gruff but surprisingly kindhearted member of the USN, Samuel Jefferson strives to protect what remains of humanity and prevent other worlds from sharing Earth's fate.

Chief Preystalk - While many protested the inclusion of florans on the council, the possibility of turning the floran hordes against the tentacle menace at least warranted an attempt. Loud and demanding, Preystalk is often absent from any serious discussions.

Cylo Hayes - A laid back and calm Novakid that was elected to act as a council member primarily due to a lack of interest from the rest of his species members. He does not speak much on most council matters and is often seen as uncaring due to his lack of concern and focus.

Sir Lockweld - A level headed and straight to the point Glitch whom has taken it upon himself to speak for the Glitch outcast from their hive-minded brethren. Present at every possible meeting and often attempting to take an unbiased view of every problem. His lengthy monologues have been known to win debates before they’ve started. Which the last was ironically enough, on time management criteria within council debates.

#1 Angre, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2016
  2. CadeEsh

CadeEsh New Member

This is the first time I've seen anything about a space tentacle, if I see one I'll avoid it :p

3. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

This is good and all, but I gotta be the nitpicker. Vice Admiral of the USCM? USN*

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

I love what I see and am very eager to see how developed colonies are in this new antares. With collaboration among races, it might make for some cool construction.

As for the tentacle beast, is there any kind of endgame for our lore? Or will the beast just be a distant looming shadow?

5. Cassidy

Cassidy The Strudel

Awh, That sucks, now I can't walk around going "I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite colony in this solar system".

I should go

6. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

We're working on some new rules for colonies. I'll need to get back to ya about that.

We do have plans to follow through with some sort of plot for the server. It'd be a bit of a waste to come up with a bunch of lore and then do nothing with it, ya know?

7. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Can council members be killed?

What if my character prefers lawlessness and wants things back to how they were, is this an achievable goal in the long term?

8. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Not likely. Council members will be heavily protected, for obvious reasons. The council will also not exist directly within this new sector, which, for simplicity's sake, is just the area of space that is accessible in-game on the server.

9. Wreth

Wreth New Member

So it's more of an events thing and an IC explanation for where colony startup resources come from rather than any real shifting of how RP is going to happen?

10. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Well, the RP that happens is completely dependent on the players. The changes can be incorporated into the everyday RP that goes on. Unless we chose to actually have Council law enforcement present in this new sector to constantly breathe down everyone's necks, which we felt wouldn't be the wisest route to go, there isn't a whole lot we can do to shift how RP is going to happen.

11. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

Just to be clear, the council members aren't going to appear ingame, as they're a ruling body far from Antares. We just wrote up little bios on the members to give it some flavour.

12. Rezima

Rezima New Member

Why would you want to murder the off screen npc entities literally an hour after they were announced anyway?

13. Venom

Venom New Member

edge is a powerful force, never underestimate it

14. Yotan

Yotan New Member

You can be Conrad Verner wearing a fake armor :p

------------------------------------------------

@Angre - I have little issue with this. I love the Mass Effect series. My main question is how does this explain the server wipe? Sense really that is the elephant in the room.

Are the tentacle beast eating plants in the old Antares sector?

15. Venom

Venom New Member

I, for one, welcome our new council overlords.

a good and interesting direction for the server to go for once

16. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

As said in the original post, the old Antares sector was overrun by the tentacles, causing a mass migration. Some of the old inhabitants of the Antares sector end up in this new sector within Council Space; This means players can choose to continue playing their old characters if they want. Seeing as this is an entirely new sector in a new region of space, all old colonies are gone now.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

I respect your ambition homie but you just took powergaming to a whole new level.

18. Yotan

Yotan New Member

@Angre -Yeah I got that, just making sure. However I do have a few more questions.

If the tentacle beasts are swarming the old Antares sector, what is to stop the tentacle beast for continuing on to the fringes of Council space?
    How long does it take for a tentacle beast to consume a planet?
    At what rate are the tentacle beast spreading?
    How long does it take for one beast to get enough material consumed to reproduce another(s)?
    Assuming one only can produce one but what is the rate does it take for reproducing of the tentacle beast (include gestation period)?
    How deadly are newborns?
    If the adults prey on planets what do newborns prey on (other than planetary remains)?

If I think of more question you bet I will hammer them out.

19. Punished Tacc

Punished Tacc New Member

I'm sure this can all be discovered.....IC!

20. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Well, not much is stopping them from continuing to spread, really. In fact, that's a big reason for why The Council was formed; The tentacles just continue to spread and nothing's stopping them.
    I can't really say how long it takes for them to consume one planet, it's not a detail we've gotten to just yet. However, it's likely fast enough to cause alarm and be more than difficult to combat.
    I will say that the tentacles (probably) aren't capable of FTL. The rate of their spread is really all dependent on the vessel they're traveling on.
    Hard to say, since we haven't quite determined what type of entity the tentacle beast is just yet. We're working on it, but I'll have to get back to you about this one.
    Again, hard to say. Ties in mostly to the previous answer.
    Same as the last, I can't say a whole lot here. There may not even be a newborn stage, we haven't decided yet.
    Will need to get back to you about this as well.

The questions are appreciated, and I apologize for the uncertainty in my answers. We haven't quite gotten around to coming up with details for the tentacle beasts just yet, but we will try to come up with more solid answers for any questions you throw our way!